Journal 60

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Journal 60

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Chrissie777 wrote:Many thanks to you, John, for sharing such a touching story from your life.
Yes - thanks, John. I appreciate it when people share personal experiences which are related to something Enid Blyton wrote.
Rob Houghton wrote:Happy House was definitely the first 'family' story I read as a child, and it has a special place because of that. Like Anita, and most people of my generation, I first encountered it in the Dean short story books, with a few chapters here and a few chapters there, but in a way this made it seem more special - like I was discovering something more 'secret' than just a normal book!
That's a good way of looking at it! Because they were published along with unconnected material in the Dean & Son volumes, I regarded the Happy House chapters/stories as collections of related tales rather than as "books". They might have had more prominence for me if I'd had them as individual books - though it would have been a shame to miss out on the charming Dean & Son illustrations.
Rob Houghton wrote:The scenes where Jane knocks monkey into the river and all that happens afterwards, are very perceptive indeed and show how brilliant Enid was at understanding how children think.
That has always been my favourite Happy House incident!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I decided that as so many of our readers never even look at the website I would include it with the letter for their benefit.
Maybe a half or full-page ad for the website might encourage some to look? I seem to remember I wrote an article about it once - but that might have been about the forums....
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Brilliant idea! 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I enjoyed Julie's examination of 'Caravan Holiday' from Enid Blyton's Treasury, which is a gorgeous book. When Roddy allows his siblings to go without supper and says,"You went hungry because it was your own faults - jolly good lesson for you - but I didn't see why I should suffer because of your carelessness and forgetfulness," Julie remarks, "I think Enid just wanted to make a point here of how angry Roddy was." I see it as a bit more than that. Roddy is pointing out that the children brought their misfortune on themselves, by being irresponsible and failing to do their jobs earlier in the day, so it's simply a case of facing the consequences of one's actions. However, I can't help thinking it would have created a feeling of solidarity if Roddy had stayed with them and gone without his meal too. It would have reinforced the notion of being a team, all for one and one for all - something which is sadly lacking.

What did people think about Enid Blyton's article on Children's Reading? I found it fascinating. It was written in 1954 and Enid makes it clear that, by that time, she was well aware that her work was read by "many different children of all ages, classes and races." We see that she understood the importance of the attitudes she presented in her books, stressing that stories which absorb a reader matter tremendously because they "affect a child's behaviour, and orient his mind towards good or bad." She regarded herself as having a responsibility to engage young readers and turn them away from "really vicious" material such as American comics! :wink:

Reading the following sentence, I wondered what Enid would make of modern computer games:

"Too much dwelling on violent reading (and on violent films) may produce a brutal young robber if the reader is an adventurous type with a poor home background; but an enthralling story of Captain Scott, or, to come to present days, Captain Carlsen, may produce an overwhelming desire to emulate the fine qualities of men like these."

Her comment about girls' magazines is as relevant as ever:

"Magazines or books completely devoted to sex, glamour and love may swing a girl's mind permanently in the direction of shallow values - with a few good pushes in the same direction by trashy films - and yet a book of real interest dealing with, say, the story of a courageous nurse, may fill her with a desire to use herself for others."

The passage below made me think about the appeal of characters like Amelia Jane, Elizabeth Allen, Connie (Faraway Tree), Snubby, Binkle and Flip, and the brownies Hop, Skip and Jump:

"Goodness, in itself, is not intensely interesting to children... Young children would always rather read about a bad child than a good one. Very well; let us use this characteristic of theirs. Let us give them books where bad and good mix, as they do in real life; but let us show very clearly how much better, how much more admirable and lovable are the good things!"

We see from this article (and others) how seriously Enid Blyton took her writing. I'm always amazed when critics dismiss her books as superficial.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I completely agree. I found that article very interesting, too. It seems to prove that Enid only had the best intentions at heart when she planned and wrote her books. She took her 'job' seriously and felt she had a responsibility towards her readers. I found her comments about her awareness that all types of ages and classes and races extremely interesting, given the accusations that were later levelled at her. To me this proves what I have always known - that Enid was not racist or sexist at all - just a woman of her time. She took these things very seriously and I'm sure if she had still been writing in the 1970s and 1980s she would have made changes accordingly, as our society changed.

The influence she feels that American comics, violence, sex, glamour and love all have on young people is also deeply insightful. I do wonder what she would have made of the girls magazines of today, which force a girl into a certain way of living/thinking/acting from quite a young age or the computer games that are full of killing and horror, or the TV programmes such as Big Brother which are watched by many young people and seem to be based heavily around sex and scandal? What would Enid have made of EastEnders or Coronation Street, whose plots seem mainly to revolve around extramarital affairs and murders? What Enid believed is very true, I think - young minds are impressionable and they can be permenantly swung in one direction or another very easily. No wonder we are living in an increasingly violent and sex obsessed society.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Just a quick question, please, about something I read in the Journal (which I just got a day ago):

In Robert Houghton's article on "Adventure of the Strange Ruby", Gillian Baverstock is quoted, in the context of revising this book as part of the new "Riddles" series, thus:

"Remembering how I had had to completely rewrite a couple of chapters in the updating of the Secret Seven series, I took a deep breath and undertook to consider the work..."

I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about this, as I am quite curious.
     When did this happen, and what book was affected?
     Singling this instance out makes it sound like a special edit for some particular reason that stood out beyond the normal revision of the series. Was there some particular topic of a controversial nature in the original text of the Secret Seven book that "required" this treatment?
     I would be curious to know what this was all about.
     Thank you.

(I had another question relating to something I read in the Journal last night, which I will post if I can remember it again.)

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

MJE wrote:     Just a quick question, please, about something I read in the Journal (which I just got a day ago):

In Robert Houghton's article on "Adventure of the Strange Ruby", Gillian Baverstock is quoted, in the context of revising this book as part of the new "Riddles" series, thus:

"Remembering how I had had to completely rewrite a couple of chapters in the updating of the Secret Seven series, I took a deep breath and undertook to consider the work..."

I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about this, as I am quite curious.
     When did this happen, and what book was affected?

I was curious to know about this as well, Michael - but I don't know any more details than are written there. It would be interesting to know which books Gillian had to edit in the Secret Seven series. I seem to vaugely recollect someone mentioning some quite 'heavy' edits in one of the titles at least, but can't remember what or which one it was. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

From memory I think it was the 14th book, Look Out Secret Seven, that caused particular trouble. I seem to recall that Gillian Baverstock had to change the part about the Secret Seven being out in the woods overnight because it was considered too long for characters that age to be out by themselves.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:...I seem to recall that Gillian Baverstock had to change the part about the Secret Seven being out in the woods overnight because it was considered too long for characters that age to be out by themselves.
Anita, in that case I'm VERY glad that I own the old hardcover copy.
How can a night out in the woods in any EB book be considered too long? It's just an adventure book after all.
I doubt that kids who read "The Valley of Adventure" now all off a sudden would attempt to step into any airplane just to experience an adventure. And I also cannot imagine that real kids could be camping out in the woods without at least one adult around.
Just my 2 cents...
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

It's the same with 'The Adventure of the Strange Ruby' - where Enid has the children staying away from home for a week or so, but in Gillian's version the time was curtailed to just a couple of days.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

That's why the original books are so much more fun to read :)!
It's funny to imagine that books for children some 60+ years ago demonstrate much more freedom than kids have today. Was it the influence of WW II?

So probably it also had to be changed in order to adjust to the times we live in now (and to avoid making today's children envy how children used to live and be allowed more freedom?).
Just a thought.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Yes we tend to imagine that we have more freedom today but in my opinion we actually have less. Children are far more cosseted and restricted today than in my day (the 70s) and most definitely more than in Blyton's day.

I'm certainly glad that I read the books when I did.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Lucky Star wrote:Yes we tend to imagine that we have more freedom today but in my opinion we actually have less. Children are far more cosseted and restricted today than in my day (the 70s) and most definitely more than in Blyton's day.
You are right.
Not only do we have less freedom to really do what we would like to do, caused by more stress and less time off. I'm also convinced that (even though with all the technology development) we have much less spare time than our parents' generation did.
I remember from my childhood and youth that my parents really enjoyed their weekends and did read a lot during the day or took me for day trips. They were not constantly busy like we are today. :roll:
And that's a change that I really don't appreciate at all, because all life long I was waiting and hoping to finally enjoy more time off once I would be my parents' age or older. However, it never happened.

John Steinbeck was so right when he observed that human beings spend a lot of time trying to figure out ways to save time :).

When I used to go to the post office before they all got changed to computer, it didn't take me much time at all.
Nowadays I'm standing there waiting until the lady at the counter stops her endless typing (which was not necessary some 20+ years ago) and finally is able to tell me how much postage I have to pay.
IMHO technology did NOT save us time like we were told when our work place offices changed to computer. We just have to type even more now since we are all computerized at the work place, so I don't see a real advantage.
Does anybody else?

Sure, computer and especially the Internet offer us all kinds of fascinating articles to read (especially this wonderful EBS website :)!) and they enabled us to do international orders for books or DVD's which was close to impossible before the mid 1990's (at least for me), but they certainly don't offer us/save us more time.
Sorry for going off topic. :oops:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Have you ever read Momo by Michael Ende, Chrissie? Wonderful fable on just that theme — how an obsession with "saving time" drains away everything meaningful in life. :)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

My dad often says this - how when he retired in the 1990's we were heading towards a 'four day week' where we wouldn't need to work so hard with a dream of computers doing the work for us while we got paid the money. This was quite a real theory during the 1980s! The reality is that now instead some people are working 7 days a week! Of course, its so the fat cats at the top can get richer at our expense, I guess. :evil:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member