Journal 30

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Moonraker

Journal 30

Post by Moonraker »

Another fantastic read! I have just sat in my garden, under the shade of the Faraway Tree, and read it from cover to cover.

So many thanks, once again, to Tony for his unending work in ensuring we have a journal so worthy as to carry the Enid Blyton trade mark on its front cover.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

An excellent Journal, as always. I was fascinated by Mr. Twinkle and the accompanying Dorothy Wheeler illustrations. David Chambers really does unearth some gems. John Henstock's piece was interesting too, about the possible influence of other authors on Enid Blyton, and it was great to see contributions from Nigel (Moonraker) and other new contributors. The poem "Trees," which I'd never read before, is a superior Blyton poem, I think, both in content and style. And it was fascinating to see the greetings cards. Whew - Enid was paid well for those short verses, which at her speed of writing probably took about a minute or two each! Terry Gustafson's article also interested me. I've always wanted to know more about Basil Henriques since reading his effusive foreword to The Six Bad Boys, and now, thanks to Terry, I do! The mistakes he spotted in various illustrations were amusing too. As for Errol Collen's "Mystery of the Stolen Bicycle," what an entertaining read! You didn't own a Scottie dog by any chance did you, Errol? :wink:

Anita
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I totally agree. What a great Journal this one is. I particularly enjoyed the latest installment of David Cooks Adventure series reviews. Anita's article about the Saucepan man was also a rivetting read. The illustrations throughout are wonderful. I'll also be definitly looking out for Hollow Tree House after reading Nigels article. :wink:

If anyone here is'nt subscribing already then what are you waiting for? Excellent value for money and a rollicking good read. Subscribe today.
David Chambers

Post by David Chambers »

I enjoyed your article on the Saucepan Man, Anita and hope you won't mind my answering your three unknown quantities here.
Hop, Skip and Jump Again, the unpublished Sunny Stories for Little Folks story, does not feature the Saucepan Man at all. But there is a lot of growing and shrinking of characters so a further nod to Alice perhaps?
Guess Again, the Enid Blyton Magazine tale though it features Hop, Skip and Jump is really more of a riddle in story form in which Enid invites children to guess the answer at the end.
In the Evening Standard story Saucepan is pictured by Dorothy Wheeler and says he is on his travels again when he meets up with Tumpy, Spells, Bits and the Caravan. Saucepan has some rapport with the Caravan. He supplies it with a saucepan for a hat and the Caravan likes Saucepan's singing. Saucepan rescues Spells when Moon-Face nearly knocks him down the Faraway Tree, (shaking his mats). It is also Saucepan's fault he, Spells and Bits are stranded in the Land of Games. Later he and Spells are in a horse race and Saucepan falls off with much clatter.

I wonder if you and Terry may be interested in Basil Henriques book The Indiscretions of a Magistrate; thoughts on the work of the juvenile court (1950) Harrap? I can highly recommend this if you are interested to know more of both the history and workings of the court at this time. Mr Henriques is described as 'the best known British Magistrate alive today' in the book and he discusses the lectures he gave on juvenile delinquency for the British Council in Australia, New Zealand and Sweden and the British Information Service in America during the War. It is a candid, informed and honest portrayal that holds nothing back. It may not be to everyones taste but you certainly gain a feel for the man as you read. He had written at least four books at this time, two on Club Leadership and The Indiscretions of a Warden.

Thank you for all your kind comments

David
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, Lucky Star and David. Lovely to see you on the Forum, David, and thanks so much for the further details about Hop, Skip and Jump, the Saucepan Man and Tumpy. Of course I don't mind you filling in a few blanks - in fact, I'm delighted!

I'm also very interested in the Basil Henriques book you mentioned, and I'll look out for a copy. Whenever I read The Six Bad Boys I wonder how realistic the boys' punishments are (they seem to be on the harsh side) and I'd like to know more about the workings of the court in those days.

Thanks again and best wishes,
Anita
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Off the top of my head, weren't the boys punished for not returning a wallet that they had found, and not stolen?

The punishment does seem harsh.

Best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Yes, that's right. Earlier on in the story, two of the boys had broken into a newsagent's and stolen some cash from there, which the six boys shared out between them (even though some of them felt uneasy about doing so.) That seems a more serious offence to me yet, although that incident is brought up in court, the emphasis is on the lesser offence of keeping the contents of a wallet they found.

Wonder what Enid Blyton would think of today's leniency? The other week I read of a car thief in Gloucester who ran away from the police and climbed up on to the roof of a house, refusing to come down. When he shouted down that he was hungry, they bought a bag of Kentucky fried chicken (family size) and handed it up to him, for fear of being accused of disrespecting his human rights! He ate his meal, smoked a cigarette and then proceeded to take a nap for several hours, while the police waited for him to come down. Well, I can't imagine Mr. Pink-Whistle approving of all that!

Anita
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

For all of the harsh criticism that Theophilus Goon received, Peterswood was a safe place to walk around at night. The crimes, when committed, could even be solved by a bunch of kids. :P
Society Member
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by HeatherS »

I finally received my Journal yesterday, after impatiently visiting the mailbox several days in a row when I realised the Journals were on their way. Unfortunately I had a very busy day and got home very late - so I haven't been able to do more than flick through it yet!

Now I'm working all day today, but hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in a lovely hour of Journal-reading tonight after dinner. In fact, I can't think of a better end to the day than reading articles by Anita and discovering what this Mr Twinkle is all about! :D
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/