Journal 57

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Journal 57

Post by Poppy »

It's been a fantastic Journal so far - I've read the first half and a couple of articles from the second half, too, and thoroughly enjoyed it all. My highlights so far have been: Anita's article reviewing The Secret Mountain - it reflected the contents of the book, beautifully, without giving away vital parts of the plot. I first discovered the word aerodrome (and many other words, too) through Enid's books. I think it was The Valley of Adventure in which I first read this word. I was interested to read the paragraph in your article about a story from the magazine Jinty. It sounds like a really good story (Alice In a Strange Land) - I really like things like that.

John's second installment to his 'collecting bug' was a delightful read. It sounds like you've got a very impressive collection, John!

I enjoyed reading about Charles Brand and his detective club's 'wonderful adventure'! Sounds like it was a great trip and judging by the photos - it looks like you all had a great time!

'Interfering Ann' was a very amusing story and it was great to see some more illustrations by Horace Knowles! Excellent, as usual and I can't wait to read on. :D
Last edited by Poppy on 14 Jul 2015, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I haven't got past the contents page in mine yet. Too dazed by the notion of skipping a book in a series.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Nicko
Favourite book/series: The Five-Find Outers, The Adventure Series

Post by Nicko »

Nick wrote:What a stunning issue.

I pretty much read it from cover to cover last night and have even re-read a couple of articles this morning. I found John & Anita's articles fascinating. I doubt I will, in the short to mid term at least, ever have time to read the Secret Series or Adventurous Four so it is always nice to have an insight into the stories from people that know Enid's work inside out.

My favourite read this time around was Nick Hopkins' look at the FFO in Japan -how on earth do you go about finding out that sort of information on a series so obscure from the 70's!

I also really enjoyed the second installment of how his collecting bug started. Living not far from Lincoln I've made a mental note to visit the book store by the cathedral. A shop keeper that says little other than "aarrr" sounds just like a Blyton character!

Many thanks to all contributors. Journal 57 is the best issue I've read since subscribing.
Thanks Nick for your kind words!

The article did take quite a bit of researching and a lot of translating. It is obviously a minority interest subject but I thought it was worthwhile writing it simply because that information was previously unavailable to English speakers.

I haven`t managed to read the journal yet but I look forward to seeing it when I return to the U.K. for my summer holiday.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Well my Journal was waiting for me, as I knew it would be once I was home from holidays. Another packed edition, and so far I have read - From My Window - John's article - Collecting Bug, which is very good John, you mirror my views on the books so well, I too love to just stand and look at all the lovely dust jackets on my collection and the pictorial spines. I wondered John, do you protect your collection of books with the clear protective coverings as I do?

I also read the interesting article by Charles Brand - A Wonderful Adventure - I was almost their with their little trip. But one thing I found I really struggled with, was the small print of this article. I could just about see it, with my glasses on, but I found the small print really difficult to read. The rest of the articles I see are all of the same print, and are easy on the eyes. But this articles print was difficult for me I have to say.

Will read the rest of the Journal today. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Journal 57 is indeed a superb issue crammed full of goodies. I have now read it from cover to cover with great enjoyment. Many thanks to Tony and all its contributors. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Nicko wrote:
Nick wrote:My favourite read this time around was Nick Hopkins' look at the FFO in Japan -how on earth do you go about finding out that sort of information on a series so obscure from the 70's!
The article did take quite a bit of researching and a lot of translating. It is obviously a minority interest subject but I thought it was worthwhile writing it simply because that information was previously unavailable to English speakers.
I haven't finished reading the Journal yet but I too really appreciated your article about the Find-Outers in Japan, Nicko. I first heard of that TV series a few years ago and was amazed that 113 episodes had been made. I wanted to know more but there wasn't much information available online, so your detailed account of the series was a revelation. What a gruelling filming schedule! It's sad that the tapes were wiped.

John Lester's analysis of The Adventurous Four was very thoughtful and I found Charles Brand's piece on the detective club most entertaining. It was great to see all the pictures. What a brilliant idea to read The Mystery of the Burnt Cottage in stages, with the children stopping to make lists of clues, suspects and motives. I also noticed that the print was smaller for Charles Brand's article, Julie, but I could still read it without any trouble.

It's quite startling to read the opening sentence of Enid Blyton's contribution to the book Moral Problems - Questions on Christianity with Answers by Prominent Churchmen: "Let me say at once that no child can be 'properly' brought up without some form of religious teaching. He can certainly be brought up without it - but not 'properly.'" Obviously her article had to fit the publication for which she was writing, but that pronouncement does seem rather rigid. If I think of my own family, many are not religious yet were still brought up with sound morals.

Enid Blyton appears to qualify her statement a little when she describes a wayward youngster at the juvenile court as being "typical of those brought up with no knowledge of religion, ethics or morals" - implying that people can, after all, be ethical/moral without necessarily having a religious faith. That boy and other children like him come from homes where structure, communication and guidance are lacking. Good parents provide those things for their children, whether with or without reference to God.

I think Enid Blyton gets closer to the essence of religion when she says that "Religious teaching provides a 'moral backbone' throughout life; it gives a child invincible weapons with which to fight any evils, any problems it meets. It is at once a staff to lean on in trouble, an anchor to prevent him from drifting, and a backbone to keep him upright and fearless."

Belief in God can bring hope, comfort and a sense of purpose. Attending a place of worship and participating in religious rituals also fosters a feeling of community and binds people together, perhaps making children less likely to become isolated and anti-social.

Joining other groups and getting involved in useful activities or caring for others may serve a similar function - as Enid suggests when she recommends that youngsters be encouraged to join organisations such as Scouts, Guides or the Busy Bees, or to help sick or disabled children.

It's interesting to see Enid addressing these concerns in books like The Six Bad Boys (1951) and The Children at Green Meadows (1954).
Poppy wrote:I was interested to read the paragraph in your article about a story from the magazine Jinty. It sounds like a really good story (Alice In a Strange Land) - I really like things like that.

Jinty was a great magazine with a wonderful mixture of stories, Poppy, and Alice in a Strange Land was one of the best.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I also read the interesting article by Charles Brand - A Wonderful Adventure - I was almost their with their little trip. But one thing I found I really struggled with, was the small print of this article. I could just about see it, with my glasses on, but I found the small print really difficult to read. The rest of the articles I see are all of the same print, and are easy on the eyes. But this articles print was difficult for me I have to say.
You make a good point, Julie, and I agree that the text was far too small, but there was nothing I could do about it. Charles Brand sent me his article fully set out and in theory this should make my life easier. In practice it was a nightmare as I didn't have any of his illustrations and I had to move things that he had already set, several pictures overlapping and some with captions. Several illustrations were within millimetres of the edge of the page and I had to move them to get the right margins. I also had to insert page numbers which on the original was impossible. He used Calibri 12 as his font which on A4 is fine, but often people forget that the Journal is A5 which means that the print halves in size. I normally use Arial 14 for the Journal although occasionally I go to 13.5 or 13 in order to make an article fit and in most of the articles I am setting the print size and setting the illustrations.

There was nothing I could with the text on Charles Brand's article, apart from justifying it and playing with the margins, without totally mucking up the illustrations, but I wanted to include what I thought was a nice article although it actually took me several hours to make it viable.

David Chambers also sends me articles already illustrated and set out, but he is an experienced campaigner and sends his articles in Arial 14 and all I have to do is add the page numbers and sometimes a little space filler as was the case here, which does make my life much easier.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I can well imagine how you had to struggle Tony, and knew that the type had been set, with nothing you could do, as you set things out in the Journal so very well, and choose the right pictures to go with the scripts that have been sent in, which for me, makes the Journal so enjoyable and pleasant on the eye.

I'm just about to read, Enid at War now, The Adventurous Four, and I really must get around to buying this book too. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

What are you after, Julie?! :lol:
Society Member
Nicko
Favourite book/series: The Five-Find Outers, The Adventure Series

Post by Nicko »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: I haven't finished reading the Journal yet but I too really appreciated your article about the Find-Outers in Japan, Nicko. I first heard of that TV series a few years ago and was amazed that 113 episodes had been made. I wanted to know more but there wasn't much information available online, so your detailed account of the series was a revelation. What a gruelling filming schedule! It's sad that the tapes were wiped.
Thanks Anita. I think it was due to a post from you on this board that I first heard of the series. It is a shame that the tapes were wiped as I would love to see any episode entitled, 'Explosion at 6 o`clock'! :D

The filming schedule does sound tough but that is Japan. It`s not uncommon for my students to tell me that they get up at 4 AM to do their homework before school.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Crumbs - it sounds as though some of the students are under a lot of pressure.

I'd love to have seen three or four entire stories from the Japanese Find-Outers series (with English subtitles or dubbing) to get a real flavour of it.

Enid Blyton's 'From My Window' article, Among the Foxgloves, conjured up a peaceful, pretty scene. She words her observations so beautifully: "The energy of a duckling, small enough to go in my hand, always strikes me as amazing. The pulse of life must be exceedingly strong in that little ball of fluff and feathers." It's hard to imagine her holidaying at Butlin's, but her poem makes for an interesting centre-spread.

I enjoyed reading about Freda Knight, Patrick Swadling and John Pickup adding items to their collections. The cards from the Pepys Faraway Tree game look gorgeous even in black and white.

Interfering Ann was fun to read and a pleasure to look at, having exquisite illustrations by Horace Knowles. It reminded me of other Blyton stories like Interfering Ina and A Shock for Lucy Ann!, and the "labeller" made me think of the labeller in The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies.

Robert, your description of playing the part of The Toy Duck was very entertaining and I also loved your comment about the Galliano's Circus books making you feel "that I was sharing something that not many people knew - the inside secrets of the circus, and the tricks of the trade - and that feeling of having inside information always resonates well with a child." I felt the same way, and my sister and I also practised balancing on balls (and juggling, and walking a low-strung tightrope). Our success level was low but our enjoyment level was high!

The Around the Zoo Book is a great find and I'm pleased to be present :wink: on the page featuring Enid Blyton's (or her cook's!) recipe for cherry cake. I've made that cake numerous times, but since becoming allergic to cherries I use sultanas instead. It's the sort of cake you can eat hot from the oven as it doesn't need any decoration - delicious!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

My Journal # 57 arrived last night. I'm very happy about it and look forward to read it. :)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

What a great journal as always. I turned first to Rob Houghton's Desert island Blytons and I'm afraid I couldn't help having a chuckle at the mental image of Rob in his Toy Duck costume. Since I can only picture Rob as an adult the picture was very funny indeed. Sorry Rob. :wink: That aside I had never before heard of the Cameo Plays book and found it's description very interesting. Mr Galliano's Circus is one of my childhood favourites and so it was great to read Rob's take on it. I thoroughly agree with his conclusion that wish fulfillment forms a major part of it's attraction. Running away with a circus and leaving school, house and all mundane cares aside was a great dream and that, together with the lively and interesting cast of characters and the exciting episodic plot structure made it an early favourite if mine.

The Adventurous Four was another of my childhood loves not least because it married my favourite author with wartime exploits (I was very into war comics like Victor and Warlord at the time). John Lester as always writes a good and convincing article and concludes that this book made such a powerful statement on the war that Enid never needed to write another book concerned with it.

I am much enjoying Anita's Secret series articles and Mountain proved to be no exception. As Tony said in his editorial this one had added pathos as it seems that the book is now consigned to history. :( The comparisons with other books were very well made and Anita states beautifully the reasons why Mafumu can be seen as an equal member of the team. Perhaps this article should be shown to the powers that be who have decided against republishing the book. I doubt it would change their minds but it might show them that this step is unnecessary.

Interfering Ann is another great little story which would be lost forever were it not for Tony's efforts. I loved these stories. As always this one shows themes which would become consistent in Blyton's work but which are here shown in their very early stages.

Charles Brand's wonderful adventure was a great read as was Nick Hopkins article on the FFO in Japan. It just goes top show the global reach which Enid Blyton had and still maintains. Julie's article on The Boy Next Door made me add a re-read of that book to my ever burgeoning list of "To Reads".

John Pickups story of his collecting bug mirrors my own personal story somewhat though I have never paid more than £20 for book and unless I win the lottery I doubt I ever shall. And Angela Canning's gardening article was unexpectedly good; being not much interested in Enid's gardening activities I had not expected it to be interesting but I enjoyed every word. Well done Angela.

The other articles, pictures and ephemera contained in Journal 57 were all of the usual great quality and once again I ma left at a loss as to why sales are declining. Thanks yet again to Tony for his unceasing dedication and hard work. Without the EBS my life, and others too I suspect, would be a duller place. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lucky Star wrote:What a great journal as always. I turned first to Rob Houghton's Desert island Blytons and I'm afraid I couldn't help having a chuckle at the mental image of Rob in his Toy Duck costume. Since I can only picture Rob as an adult the picture was very funny indeed. Sorry Rob. :wink: That aside I had never before heard of the Cameo Plays book and found it's description very interesting. Mr Galliano's Circus is one of my childhood favourites and so it was great to read Rob's take on it. I thoroughly agree with his conclusion that wish fulfillment forms a major part of it's attraction. Running away with a circus and leaving school, house and all mundane cares aside was a great dream and that, together with the lively and interesting cast of characters and the exciting episodic plot structure made it an early favourite if mine.
Glad you enjoyed it - and very pleased if I made people chuckle - that was my intention of course - however, I do agree it's funnier still imagining me wearing a duck costume at the age of 44!!! :shock: :lol: :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »