Journal 57

What did you think of the latest Journal?
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: Journal 57

Post by John Pickup »

As I was away last week I am still reading my journal. I have read up to and including Anita's Secret Mountain article and enjoyed them all. I wish I had a £1 for every time I have driven past the Welcome To Blyton sign at the top of Tony's editorial.
Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

I get the feeling we may live fairly close to each other, i drive through Blyton quite often too!
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Your two postcodes would seem to confirm that, Nick!
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Nick wrote:I get the feeling we may live fairly close to each other, i drive through Blyton quite often too!
I'm in Gainsborough, Nick, so if you live in Retford we are only 12 miles apart. I shall be driving past the sign again shortly, as I'm playing bowls at Scunthorpe tonight.
Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Nick wrote:I must say that I really enjoyed The Famous Five Reunited by Nicky Wheeliker. I can well imagine that is exactly how the five turned out as adults!
     Well, I do have my doubts about George being shown to be Lesbian. I know this is a speculation many have made before, with varying levels of jocularity - but I don't think there is the slightest evidence of such tendencies in the books themselves. I sometimes enjoy reading pieces which portray the Five later in life, but I tend to find that the suggestion of George being Lesbian somehow spoils it, and it seems to come up far too often.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Robert Houghton wrote:I think it's ridiculous that The Secret Mountain isn't going to be published again (although from the quotes used, it might look like I agree, LOL!) ;-)
     As one who quoted your comments, Robert, I might just add that I was not attributing those opinions to you personally, but just using them as representing that point of view, presumably held by the publisher.
Robert Houghton wrote:I'm sure it has more to do with ethnic readers in the UK and other 'white European' countries, and the fear that they might feel offended, rather than offending any modern day African tribal people.
     Ah - the professional offence-takers who seem to infest more and more areas of public life - at least in Australia and I presume elsewhere, too. So often you hear people objecting to this or that which someone said, and their whole attitude seem to be one of eagerness to seek out any possible opportunity to complain about something and express outrage - whether it be to do with religion, race, disaability, or almost any other -ism that people get their knickers all in a twist with.
     I would frankly be tempted to retort to such people, or at least ignore them and continue to say and do as I believed right. But I suppose if you're not ultra-careful, and don't tiptoe around sensitive areas, you can bring a truck-load of trouble down on yourself, or even lawsuits with someone trying to sue you for everything you have. What an impossible world we live in today.
Robert Houghton wrote:It almost seems as if the publishers dislike anything remotely 'unsavoury' being said about any character unless they have white skin.
     Ah - but that's racism, isn't it? - to say bad things about white people that you would never dream of saying about anyone else. The hypocrisy is almost beyond parody.
     Fiction is just fiction, and things said about people or groups may be there because the plot requires, and it may just be showing what characters in the story think - how on earth did anyone ever get the idea that such things signify what the author really thinks, and then vilify the author because of it? Ridiculous!
Robert Houghton wrote:The problem, as I see it, is that publishers seem to think the tribal characters in The Secret Mountain are representative of all black people and how they behave.
     I don't know enough about Africa or its culture to know how many things in the book really do apply to some or most Africans. If they are true of some African societies (as I believe is the case, or at least has been with some primitive tribes some decades ago), then what's the problem? - even if they are unfavourable? In any case, nothing in the books says Africans generally are a certain way - it is just talking about specific societies (the mountain folk and the normal society in the area around the mountain), and just attributing certain things to those groups or individuals within them.
     There's certainly a double standard here: a writer could write about white individuals or social groups within Britain or Australia and ascribe to those individuals negative characteristics which may be seen as part of a national stereotype, but no-one complains - because the book is just talking about individuals or specific groups. So why is it different when the same thing is done in Africa?
     (* SIGH *) But I suppose I am preaching to the choir here!
Robert Houghton wrote:They seem to imagine Enid is saying Africans regularly enjoy throwing sacrifices off mountains, do war dances, and bend their knee to be the slaves of white people, whereas all she is saying is that just one particular tribe do this, and Mafumu, as an individual, chooses to make himself a slave to a white boy. As usual, the publishers (themselves much more racist than Enid ever was!) seem to be assuming that all African people must behave like this! :roll:
     Exactly. I guess it's what I said above in a different way. I wrote the above before reading this, as the thoughts spilled out and I had to say them - but perhaps I could have saved myself the bother.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
MJE

Post by MJE »

Moonraker wrote:Are you privy to the Journal before it is published?
     No, not at all. Being on the other side of the world, I receive my copy perhaps a week later than most people in Britain do. In addition, I was away from home when it arrived, so it spent an unknown number of days sitting in my letter-box (fortunately only getting slightly damp, not sodden). I was simply told about the mention in it of "The Secret Mountain" by someone in Britain who had received and read theirs sooner than I did.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

MJE wrote:
Robert Houghton wrote:It almost seems as if the publishers dislike anything remotely 'unsavoury' being said about any character unless they have white skin.
     Ah - but that's racism, isn't it? - to say bad things about white people that you would never dream of saying about anyone else. The hypocrisy is almost beyond parody.
     Fiction is just fiction, and things said about people or groups may be there because the plot requires, and it may just be showing what characters in the story think - how on earth did anyone ever get the idea that such things signify what the author really thinks, and then vilify the author because of it? Ridiculous!
I think you've just summed up the outlook of most British publishers brilliantly! It is indeed racism but its pretty normal in the UK these days. If I was writing a novel I probably would make sure that the evil characters weren't black, as this would be unlikely to be accepted by a publisher.
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 23 Jul 2015, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

MJE wrote:
Nick wrote:I must say that I really enjoyed The Famous Five Reunited by Nicky Wheeliker. I can well imagine that is exactly how the five turned out as adults!
     Well, I do have my doubts about George being shown to be Lesbian. I know this is a speculation many have made before, with varying levels of jocularity - but I don't think there is the slightest evidence of such tendencies in the books themselves. I sometimes enjoy reading pieces which portray the Five later in life, but I tend to find that the suggestion of George being Lesbian somehow spoils it, and it seems to come up far too often.

Regards, Michael.
While I'm not too bothered about George becoming a lesbian (its likely, if a little predictable!) I do object to the fact that 'modern life' automatically dictates that Anne would have several divorces under her belt - which I don't invisage happening at all. The poem started off brilliantly then seemed to descend into all the cliches of modern drama by the end.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Robert Houghton wrote:It is indeed racism but its pretty normal in the UK these days. If I was writing a novel I probably would male sure that the evil characters weren't black, as this would be unlikely to be accepted by a publisher.
But how come that movie directors don't feel the same way and don't get into trouble about not being PC? They used and still use nowadays lots of black criminals in their movies.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree! I guess there must be some books with black villains of course - and soaps do it quite often too, but I can't think of many instances where it happens in children's books - I might be wrong but that's the impression I get, as Enid's few black villains have all been whitened! I know that if I was writing a novel and wanted a villain, I'd think twice about making them black or any ethnicity other than white - id be much more likely to have heroes who were black as I'd feel this was more acceptable in todays society.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Great to read others' thoughts on the latest Journal as always! I haven't read everything in this issue yet (I'm not as quick as some), but here are some thoughts on the parts I've read so far...

"Enid at War: The Adventurous Four" by John Lester: Absolutely fascinating and extremely well written. It re-introduced me to a Blyton classic that I read at the age of 6 and (understandably, I guess) didn't appreciate very much at all at the time. I barely remember anything about it and naturally all the war references went right over my head. I will definitely have to find and re-read this book.

"A Wonderful Adventure!" by Charles Brand: Wonderful indeed! I wish some of my teachers in primary school could have been so inventive. Sounds like it was incredible fun, and what a great way to get children interested in Blyton (if they aren't already!). I especially liked the description of Burnham Beeches - a name I remember seeing in the Find-Outers books, but I've never been there myself. How intriguing to know it might be the real-life Enchanted Wood... :wink:

"The Five Find-Outers in Japan" by Nick Hopkins: Very, very interesting exploration of a now-lost TV adaptation from an unexpected source - I had no idea that Enid's books were not only known in Japan, but popular enough to inspire a TV version!

"From My Window No. 17: Among the Foxgloves" by Enid in 1925: Another example of Enid's great gift for painting with words. Loved the surprise at the end as to "where this entrancing spot can be found"! I wonder how much of the same can still be seen there?

"The Famous Five Reunited" by Nicky Wheeliker: I have to admit I find it a bit depressing when anyone attempts to imagine Enid's innocent young characters as crusty, cynical adults - it's just not my cup of tea. Still, I got a few laughs out of this, especially the kick in the tail where Anne, the most conventional and (dare I say) boring of the Five, ends up the most successful! :mrgreen:

"The Boy Next Door" by Julie Heginbotham: Wonderful reminder of a relatively little-known book that I thoroughly agree is one of THE best and most exciting that Enid ever wrote - and I only read it for the first time last year! :D (Thanks, in fact, to Julie herself, who very generously sold me a spare copy which I now also treasure.)

"The Collecting Bug - How It All Progressed" by John Pickup: Another joy to read. I'm not as serious a "collector" as John (or most other Society members) myself, but who knows, I may catch up. I especially enjoyed the story of his brilliant buy with the first edition of The Valley of Adventure. I managed to land a copy of the same recently - no, not a first edition (it's a 1957 reprint), and not for £50 (thank goodness!!), but oh, that beautiful dust jacket! :D

"Desert Island Blytons Part 3" by Robert Houghton: Yet another delight - this time discovering the ups and downs of putting on a Blyton play at school (I wasn't familiar with any of Enid's plays before this), and lovely to know the long-term influence it had! The Galliano's Circus books are among my very favourites too, and, while I would probably choose Circus Days Again for my own desert island read - because of the dramatic climax - I agree with everything Rob has written about Mr Galliano's Circus, particularly his observations about Lotta. Definitely "stronger even than George, as she doesn't need to pretend to be a boy, or protest she's as good as one, but proves herself on her own merits." She's also not sulky, self-centred and bad-tempered like George is - and is equally at home playing with dolls, performing incredibly skilful feats on horseback, taming an uncontrollable pony, or taking off all on her own to save the day!

"A Recipe for Cherry Cake" by Enid Blyton: Sounds yum! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks for your kind words about my article. I'm pleased you enjoyed it! :-) I agree about 'Circus Days Again' - the best in the series, due to the more dramatic and less episodic storyline - but writing about books that influenced me most in my life or made the greatest impression, it had to be the first book, as that is the one I've definitely read most, especially as a child.

I've enjoyed doing my Desert Island Blytons articles as it was something a little different - an appraisal of the books that were personal to me rather than just straight reviews. I'm kind of hoping that maybe the Desert Island Blytons idea could be continued by others - always interesting to hear peoples personal feelings and experiences of their favourite books. :-)

I still haven't read all of The Journal - I'm even slower than Courtenay. ;-) But I will write my thoughts shortly.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Robert Houghton wrote:...I'm kind of hoping that maybe the Desert Island Blytons idea could be continued by others - always interesting to hear peoples personal feelings and experiences of their favourite books. :-)
I still had no chance to read Journal # 57, because I'm trying to keep up with the many posts :).
Assuming that only children's books are allowed to be taken on that desert island, here is my list:
- The Valley of Adventure
- The Castle of Adventure
- Five on a Treasure Island
- Five go to Smuggler's Top
- Five on a Secret Trail
- The Secret Island
- Tally-Ho Cottage
- Ring O Bells Mystery
- Rat Tat Tat Mystery
- The Boy next Door
- The Adventurous Four
- The Adventurous Four again

and if I could take some non-Blytons, it would be

- Good Night, Mr. Tom (Michelle Margorian)
- The House in Hiding (Elinor Lyon)
- Skeleton Island (Norman Dale)
- The Exciting Journey (Dale)
- Mystery Christmas (Dale)
- Milly Molly Mandy (the old German translation as they have much nicer illustrations than the original)
- My Side of the Mountain (Jean Craighead George)
- Brendon Chase (B. B.)
- The Island Keeper (Harry Mazer)
plus several titles by Elizabeth Enright in the German translations as they have better illustrations than the originals
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

You should write something for the Journal, Chrissie! A good selection of books! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member