Journal 55

What did you think of the latest Journal?
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Re: Journal 55

Post by shadow »

I'm surprised no one else has posted on here today but I got my journal through the post today and conveniently forgot I had to go shopping. It was lucky that I'd cleaned the house already or that would have been left too. I had a lovely afternoon reading a couple of articles. I can only echo what Anita said about the secret island, it's one of my favourite books which gives me a "feeling of dreamy bliss".
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

My copy also arrived today and I shall enjoy reading it thoroughly when I retire for the night in the next hour or so. The Journal looks as good as ever, packed full of goodies. Many thanks for another super issue, Tony, :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

A fabulous edition of the Journal, every article is of interest to me. After reading Tony's editorial I went straight on to Norman Wright's tribute to Mary Cadogan. I've read most of Mary's books and was saddened to hear of her death, Norman and Mary collaborated on Enid Blyton's Adventure Treasury and A Treasury of Enid Blyton's School Stories and I was interested to see that a third Treasury will be published next year. This time of Enid's fantasy stories. I look forward to that.

Then I read Anita's excellent article on a favourite book The Secret Island. A most enjoyable review of Enid's first full-length adventure story.

Reading Julie's article has whetted my appetite to re-read the three stories she mentioned, unfortunately more than half my books are packed away at the moment due to a probable house move so I must be patient for the next few months.

Plenty more stuff to read in the Journal, but I like to pace myself and savour every article.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

The latest Journal is absolutely superb. I read it all into the early hours this morning and thoroughly enjoyed every page. Congratulations on maintaining such a high standard, Tony and all the contributors. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Mine's just arrived. Lovely picture on the back cover (1990's FF), Item by Freda Knight, with illustrations, also about the FF. The Secret Series, Part 1, by Anita , caught my eye as I flicked through and the colour centre spread reminds me of a desire to re-read the Secret Seven. And much, much more. Looking good :D
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Mine has just arrived. Just when I am heading out the door to work. Grrr. I will make a start on it later. As usual it looks absolutely brilliant.

I have just resubscribed for another great year's worth. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Having snuggled up for the afternoon, I read the Journal from cover to cover, and thoroughly enjoyed the contents! There was such a wide variety, it made the read such a pleasurable and interesting one.

Anita's article on The Secret Island was a beautifully flowing and fascinating account of this wonderful book. I shared many of your opinions and thoughts, Anita, and you captured the essence of the story, perfectly. Like you, I originally expected the book to feature crooks, crime or a mystery, but nevertheless, when I did realize that it was simply a tale of survival, I appreciated it a lot more.

On reading Enid's own article (Children's Reading: Old and New), I was enthralled by Enid's recommendations and guidance for Children's books. A really interesting article.

John Lester's 'What Makes Up a Sunny Stories' also made very enjoyable and interesting. Unfortunately I don't have any Sunny Stories magazines, but this article gave a lovely flavour of an issue.

Mary Cadogen sounds like she was a lovely lady; unfortunatley I didn't know her personally like it sounds those who attended EBS Days did, but still she sounded to be a truly inspirational and interesting person.

The letters from Enid Blyton were interesting to to read: they gave a bit more information on the reaction to the works of 'Mary Pollock', which I am always interested in.

Growing Up With Enid Blyton, by Cory Roberts made great reading, too. It was fascinating to weigh up the fores and againsts of reading and collecting Enid's books, as she was writing them, or in the modern day.

I was pleased to see plenty more exciting entries from Enid Blyton, in the second half of the Journal. 'Spot Goes to Fairyland' was an enjoyable story; it echoed various aspects of Enid's other novels and short stories. The Prologue for the School Concert was a unique and enjoyable addition to the Journal. A lovely piece.

Julie's article about similar Blyton-books was an interesting one. You picked up on several aspects that I'd never noticed before. A very enjoyable read.

Robert Houghton's review offered a very interesting perspective on things, and Angela Canning's article was also interesting.

Anyway, all very enjoyable. Thanks again, to Tony for all your work, and to the Contributers.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

One of the great journals - and that's saying something! A big thank you to Tony and all the contributors. We are so lucky to have such a marvellous society journal. Every contribution is so worthwhile and informative.
Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thank you so much for the review Poppy. I am eager to know Enid's recommendations. :D
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

No problem, Sixret: it was brilliant to reflect on such a wonderful Journal! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A comprehensive review, Poppy. It's funny how The Secret Island confounds expectations (for many readers who have already read a number of Blyton books) and turns out to be so special and unique.

Thanks to those who have said they enjoyed my article. I really like the Secret series and I'm looking forward to re-reading the other titles.

I'll have more to say about the Journal when I've finished it!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

First of all, the cover for this journal is superb and a fitting tribute to the late Val Biro. The centrepiece by Eileen Soper is great, too. The boy holding the lamp reminds me of Eileen's interpretation of George in the Famous Five. I have read Anita's review of the Secret Island, a very interesting article. Later tonight, I shall settle down and carry on with the rest of the journal. Thanks to all the contributors and special thanks to Tony for compiling another super issue.
Society Member
rosy_posy

Post by rosy_posy »

Really enjoyed my second journal. :D
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I haven't had time to read much so far, but loved Anita's review of The Secret Island. That's a book I haven't read before, but I really must if I can - Anita has really whetted my appetite! It sounds like a beautiful, dreamy, delightful book. Loved the inclusion of the Yeats poem as well.

Oh yes, I also enjoyed pp. 22-23. "A Letter from the Baby Goldfish" is a hoot - I love the way Enid wrote letters directly to her readers from so many of her own pets and other characters! Very funny to read the fishes' account of how they ridiculed the cat when she fell in the water.

Has anyone else figured out all the town names in the Picture Puzzles yet? I have! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Journal 54 got me through the beginning of the semester, here's hoping 55 will get me through the finals. 8) I will be checking my mailbox first thing in the morning! :D

Society Member