Journal 53

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Journal 53

Post by Lucky Star »

I just got home from work and was pleasantly cheered to find the Journal lying on the mat. It looks fabulous as always and I have no doubt that it will be. I shall look forward to a relaxing weekend with it. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Got mine today at lunchtime - really looking forward to relaxing and reading it!
Thankyou!! :D
Moonraker wrote:Just arrived! :D
Crikey I thought our postman is late at about half 11 ish - yours takes the biscuit! :lol:
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

My copy arrived today, too. I have read John Henstock's article on the politics of Enid's stories which is very relevant as we have discussed similar issues on these forums. Julie's piece on the FF short stories is very interesting as I have never read them. I must try and find a copy of that book. Only my second journal but full of great reading. Many thanks to Tony and all the contributors.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

There are quite a few for sale on Ebay, John and not expensive.

Pleased I've encouraged some of you to read those F.F. short stories. :)

Loved the Adventure at Midnight. There are many early Journals I've missed and it was nice to read this little story from the 2003 Journal.

Thanks for putting that one in Tony. It's always nice to see what we've missed in previous Journals.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Loved the Adventure at Midnight. There are many early Journals I've missed and it was nice to read this little story from the 2003 Journal.

Thanks for putting that one in Tony. It's always nice to see what we've missed in previous Journals.

8)
I think we are getting a bit muddled here, Julie, I would never repeat something that was in a previous Journal! It was in the Sunday Graphic booklet which has been out of print for about ten years. This version was much better as I redid all the illustrations rather than using the original ones.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Cant believe it was ten years since the Sunday Graphic booklet...wow! I was imagining it was three or four at the most! Its a wonderful reproduction, as you mention, Tony - and a really good selection of articles once again. Thanks for all your hard work. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Its always a treat to arrive home from work and see the journal, in its familiar packing, on the telephone table waiting to be devoured. As always, i started off with the words of our leader and then onto the piece on Betty Maxey, Anita's wonderful review of the FF Annual and finished with John's article on the politics of Enid's work. All brilliantly written and interesting and i cant wait to get back in tonight to finish it off.

Many thanks to all contributors for another top class edition.
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Tony says in his editorial 'this issue contains a wide selection of articles and I hope that all our readers will find some that interest them', well I find all the contents of this Journal interesting. After the Editorial I read Adventure at Midnight, it is good to see this rare example of Blyton ephemera, then Anita's review of the FF Annual and John Lester's and John Henstock's articles, all good stuff and plenty more to read.

Highlights for me (and ones I am saving 'till last) are David Chamber's article on Birns, Tucks etc (David's contributions are always so interesting and well researched) and Enid's story A Pair of Scamps. I love the glorious Kathleen Nixon illustrations for this, and the pictures for the delightful and typically Blyton poem The Clean Bunny.

The last page shows the latest Sunny Stories for Little Folks reprints, I have already ordered those and renewed my subscription too.

Kate
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I spent a most enjoyable evening reading the latest Journal which, as always, is packed with goodies. Thanks to all the contributors and a special thank you to you, Tony. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Adventure at Midnight was brilliant - very interesting and the pictures added beautifully to the text.

I also read Enid's From My Window and I thoroughly enjoyed it; there are some absolutely gorgeous descriptions in there. Very imaginative and descriptive. Also love how good old Bobs comes in at the end!

Next I read the article about Betty Maxey, and after the conversations in the Illustrators topic comparing her and Eileen Soper, I was interested to learn more. At first I thought it was going to be an article on Maxey's illustrations, but it was actually a partial account of her life, when the writer knew she and her husband. It also described Betty's personality and she sounded a lovely woman.

The Clean Bunny was a lovely poem - just right for the Spring Journal! Beautiful illustrations that go with this, too.

Next I am eager to read about 'The Politics of Enid's Work', which, as someone said earlier, links into several discussions lately.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Journal 53 arrived yesterday, what a pleasure to open the envelope and look at the delightful cover! It looks choc-a-bloc with fascinating reads, and I'm saving it to go with a whole variety of treats over the weekend!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Post just arrived - no Journal :cry:

Off to double check I send Tony my subscription renewal.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Apologies, Katharine, my mistake! :oops: You paid it in late January when you also bought some booklets and I recorded the booklets in my files but missed the resubscription. It will be in the post today first class!!

I said somewhere yesterday that it was time I was put out to grass as I had failed to notice that Angela Canning had left the last half line off her article. It was actually her mistake, but I take the full blame for failing to notice it! :oops:
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Tony, thanks for letting me know. Don't worry about sending it first class, I'm just relieved that it hasn't gone missing in the post.

Maybe I'll remember to renew straight away next time! :D
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie's piece on the FF short stories is very interesting as I have never read them.
I preferred the Secret Seven short stories. They are both available in the Kindle store, John. I read both books on holiday, last year.

I have only read the first article so far, but it promises to be yet again, a marvellous issue.
Society Member