Journal 53

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Journal 53

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Just received mine through the post too. Fabulous. Nice day for sitting out in the garden and reading the Journal. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Mine is here too!

Just devoured the article on Betty Maxey.I really enjoyed it. Thanks to Tony,Anita and of course Peter Taylor for including it in the journal.

Did you know you can stay in Casa Zorro the house they had built in Formentera Spain?

http://www.casazorro.es/Casa_Zorro_-_info.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How about that for a Forum Gathering one day?? :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I've got mine too! Just reading about the Wishing-Chair (an old favourite) and starting on "The Politics of Enid's Stories". Many thanks for another great feast of Blyton-themed reading! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Looking forward to a good read later...looks a great feast as always...! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Looks like a great selection of reading is lined up, this issue! I have read two or three articles already, despite it only having slipped through the letterbox half an hour ago. These include Anita's wonderful review on the Famous Five Annual 2014, Julie's enjoyable report on the Famous Five short stories and also - Miranda's letter. All brilliant - can't wait to read more!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

[sends out a search party to find the postman]
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think I saw the postman's van in our road earlier today, and normally he comes about 11.30 - 12.00, so I'm assuming mine won't be arriving today :-(
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

pete9012S wrote: Did you know you can stay in Casa Zorro the house they had built in Formentera Spain?
http://www.casazorro.es/Casa_Zorro_-_info.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How about that for a Forum Gathering one day?? :D
How did you find that out Pete? Wait a min though, I think I can hear Nigel using his favourite saying - Google is your friend!
Moonraker wrote:[sends out a search party to find the postman]
Why don't you collect yours from Tony, save him buying the stamp! :|

8)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Just arrived! :D
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Just finished reading the article about Betty Maxey by Peter Taylor. Very interesting article, thoroughly enjoyed it, even though my favourite illustrator is Eileen Soper. :)

And I've also just finished reading John Henstock's article - The Politics of Enid's Stories. Very good, I agreed with everything he put. I too would have loved Enid to write The Railway Children, as John mentions, Enid's version would have been filled with mystery and adventure. :)

8)

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

My copy was on the doormat when I got back home at 4.15pm. It looks great and I can't wait to read it this evening. Many thanks indeed, Tony. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Another excellent journal - even better than the ones that came before. Thank you Tony and all the those who produced articles. Just read Julie's excellent contribution on the Famous Five short stories - very well written and I totally agree with all her points. Nothing can beat the illustrations by the wonderful Eileen Soper. Mind you there is a great article on Betty Maxey which I have almost finished. Lots of goodies still to read!
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I've just enjoyed "The Genius of Harmsen Van der Beek" - beautiful article! Loved "The Politics of Enid's Stories", too, especially John Henstock's musings on what The Railway Children might have been like if written by Enid. I laughed out loud at some of his observations, especially about the unlikelihood of Blyton-era girls wearing enough petticoats to make flags out of! :D Miranda's letter is just gorgeous too.

However, perhaps the most wonderfully atmospheric and moving piece is Enid's Teacher's World article from 1927, "Midnight in the Snow". What a gift she has for portraying scenes and feelings with just the right choice of words - so economical, yet so evocative. Thank you so much, Tony and all the contributors - this Journal is a treasure trove!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Peter Taylor? Is he our Pete?
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I've read several articles now:

Anita's article on the Famous Five Annual 2014 was very informative and enjoyable. I certainly learned several things from this: I didn't know so much was taken from Norman Wright's Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about the Famous Five. So really the annual was just 'put together' - the publishers didn't really do much to add to it or bring anything new to it. I thought many of these things were created especially for the annual, itself. You're not alone in not understanding the games, either!

Julie's review on the Famous Five short stories were very cleverly written - not giving too much information about the plots, but summing the stories up beautifully. You have certainly encouraged me to reread them!

Miranda's letter was beautifully written - just like Bob's weekly letters, it is comical and enjoyable and really shows Enid's good humour and a completely new technique.

I have just now read Robert's comparison of The Railway Children and The Family at Red-Roofs and it was a very interesting indeed. Very thoughtful and well put together. I have taken forgranted in the past the aspects with do make them similar, but it it amazing to put them together and the two authors backgrounds and there are many elements which do make the two stories similar.

A brilliant issue so far - thanks to Tony and all the contributors as usual!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member