Journal 49

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Journal 49

Post by Poppy »

Maureen1954 wrote:Poppy Hutchinson
Good article Poppy and described perfectly, I love Lighthouses and have always been fascinated by them. Did you sit outside the Lighthouse like the Famous Five???
Hi Maureen!
Glad you liked my article and yes I did sit outside the lighthouse at the same point as the Famous Five. I have got a few photos to prove it but I don't know how to post photographs here and anyway, I don't think my mum would approve!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

In reply to Fiona, I don't think the one person who clicked on your link will be subscribing to the Journal as it was me! I wanted to see which page you had linked it to.

In reply to Rachel, 'Summer Storm' certainly hasn't ever been published anywhere and is not in a Journal, though there may have been an article about it. I can't really offer early Journals at reduced prices as none are in print.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Tony Summerfield wrote:In reply to Fiona, I don't think the one person who clicked on your link will be subscribing to the Journal as it was me! I wanted to see which page you had linked it to.
Darn. How very sneaky of you!

Is the page we linked to OK though?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Tony Summerfield wrote:In reply to Fiona, I don't think the one person who clicked on your link will be subscribing to the Journal as it was me! I wanted to see which page you had linked it to.
TONY! :shock:

How dare you ruin our dream! :cry:

:wink:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Secondly, I think we've just discovered a major issue.

Tony doesn't subscribe to the journal! :shock:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Finish reading the Joural now. A well packed book of interesting reading. Thanks to all who contributed and made the journal a worthwhile read. It was nice to see a small piece about Robert Tyndall who sadly died in September.

I really enjoyed Angela Canning's contribution about Gillian Baverstock. I'm only sorry I never met Gillian, and didn't realize that she had experienced sadness in her life.

Reading Enid's writing on Warm Hearted Children, brought a touch of sadness when I read about the small boy who was blind, and was upset, crying because he couldn't wear his glass eyes for Enid's visit. How utterly, utterly sad. And something I just hadn't thought about, that a child without eyes could cry. Of course, I suddenly thought, tears come from tear ducts. What wonderful work Enid did for these children that found themselves in a home. I got to thinking, where was that little boys mother? Had she put him in the home because she couldn't cope with his blindness? Or was he there for a bit of respite? Very sad. :(

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Yes, that was a very touching article. I can't believe I forgot about it in my review.

I would brag that we've had a second click on our journal link, but it's probably just Tony sneaking about, so I won't. :lol:

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
lilyrose1599
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/Adventure series/Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Julian & George Kirrin, Dinah, Fatty

Post by lilyrose1599 »

I received my Journal yesterday morning and it was quite a surprise that it arrived so quickly. I've finished reading it already.
Poppy, your article was nice and very well-written. I hope we'll see many more articles by you in the future. :)
I really enjoyed Katharine's article on the EB Day but my favourite is the article on Gillian Baverstock. I also loved the story of Giant Sleepyhead.
Altogether, it was a very interesting Journal. Thanks to Tony and all those who contributed. :D

Mu'minah
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

I have a question and as I don't know where it would be best, I thought it would be here, as I asked a similar question in the thread of the last journal.

Will Bill's Diary continue? Will we be reading Bill's Diary about Sea soon? Will it be on the homepage as Valley was or in the journal? If yes, in which timeframe will can we except it? 1 month? 5 month? a year? I know that it is difficult to know exactly but as I said perhaps an idea?

I love Bill's Diary and I'm really looking forward to Sea, as it is my favourite Adventure-Series Book.
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

When Terry Gustafson has finished writing Bill's diary entries for Sea, I believe they'll be put up on the same area of the website as the diary entries for Valley.
Julie2owlsdene wrote:What wonderful work Enid did for these children that found themselves in a home. I got to thinking, where was that little boys mother? Had she put him in the home because she couldn't cope with his blindness? Or was he there for a bit of respite? Very sad. :(
Perhaps in those days it was thought best for blind children to be together under one roof (when and where resources allowed)? I found a 1954 Pathé News clip about a newly-opened Sunshine Home. According to the announcer, the purpose of the Sunshine Homes was to "train" blind children in order to "enable them to live normal and useful lives in the future":

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/summer-sunshine-home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

Thanks for your reply Anita. Any ideas of when that could be?
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sorry, but I don't know.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks for putting in that link, Anita. I think you must be right. The homes were there for teaching the children in their own daily lives. A lovely old film clip. I wonder what those chidren are doing now?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I forgot to mention about Enid Blyton's warm hearted children which I really enjoyed. It was very touching but enjoyable! Such a very kind person, it is plain to see.
lilyrose1599 wrote:I hope we'll see many more articles by you in the future.
Me too! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

On Nov. 19th, 2012 Dinah Cunningham wrote:

"Will we be reading Bill's Diary about Sea soon? In which timeframe can we expect it?"

I was wondering myself and an attempt to find out was surprisingly lucrative - a journalist friend who lodges near Victoria Embankment brought up a leak from the office of Central Command.

At first there was a little reluctance to divulge seeing one of the examiners is a useful contact but when the name "Dinah Cunningham" came up he was rather taken aback seeing she's actually mentioned in the log.

After being reminded of my discretion in these matters his telegram revealed the following - "W.W.C. has been the recipient of a bolt from the blue but a person who goes by the name of 'Tripalong' or 'Tipperlong' (first letters were smudged) has placed him in mortal danger."

I'm not quite sure how to interpret that so it's open to evaluation, and I think 'Tipperlong' seems more likely - probably a surname.

A postscript states: "Once the red tape has been cut, a full account should be available in the very near future."