Journal 49

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Journal 49

Post by Lucky Star »

Another excellent journal from Tony. I particularly enjoyed all of Enid's own pieces especially the story of Giant Sleepyhead. Typical Blyton fairytale stuff; charming and engaging from start to finish.

From the regular contributors I enjoyed once again part 3 of Anita's Twiddle exploration. I knew of course that Enid wrote a number of muddle headed characters but I had no clear idea of the profusion of characters and multiplicity of plots until now. There were many I am familiar with and also a couple I have never heard of before such as Mr Dear-Me, Duffy and Mr Wumble. There is truly always something new and interesting in the Journal and always more to explore in the world of Blyton.

Angela Canning's article on Gillian Baverstock was most illuminating. I must say I had no idea that Gillian had suffered so much tragedy in her life. My memories of her are of a smiling elderly lady at a couple of EBS days. I wish I had made more effort to have talked to her now. She seems to have been a wonderful person.

David Chambers is a true detective. His articles are always fascinating and this issue's Brer Rabbit one is no exception. I also enjoyed as always, John Lesters informative article on Enid's teaching books.

From our own forumites I loved Katherine's article as, like so many others, it brought back to me once again the superb atmosphere and excitement of the last EBS Day. And Poppy made a very promising start with her first article on Whitley Bay. Rob Houghton continued his brilliant Those Dreadful Children dissection; this is a running series which I have been following for three journals now and I eagerly await the conclusion in about four month's time.

Together with the usual cornucopia of rare delights such as the anti-gambling leaflets and "The Fairy Crier" it all added up to an amazing read. I really do fail to understand how anyone with any interest in Enid Blyton would not take out and maintain a subscription to this fine publication. Thanks again Tony for another great edition. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I confess - I was a forumite who didn't subscribe to the journals for a year or so. :oops: All I can say, is more fool me, I had no idea what I was missing. They are packed with such a good variety of contents, including personal accounts of individual members, and the background of people connected with different aspects of Enid's work. I've recently read a back issue about Robert Tyndall and how he came to be associated with drawing Noddy. Then there are all the interesting little tit bits about collectables such as jigsaws etc.

At £10 for UK membership, that's less than £1 a month - what else can you buy for that nowadays? A newspaper, which will end up in the recycling bin perhaps, whereas a Journal can be referred to and enjoyed time and time again. I know it's probably more difficult for overseas members due to the posage, and possibly £10 is a lot for some of the younger members to find all at once, but how about asking for the subscription as a Christmas present. Just think - you will end up getting 3 Christmas presents spread out through the year. :D
Society Member
lilyrose1599
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/Adventure series/Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Julian & George Kirrin, Dinah, Fatty

Post by lilyrose1599 »

Hi everyone
I don't post much here on the forums but I am subscribed to the Journal. I recieved the last 3 journals and I renewed as soon as I could. I'm really looking forward to the latest one - I'll probably get it sometime next week.
Although the subscription is expensive, I think it's really worth it. The journals are always packed with very good articles and other interesting stuff. :D

Mu'minah
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'd like to ask all the regular forum users if they subscribe, and if not, why not. Though I doubt I'd get an answer from many of them.

I wonder if it's cost that's the prohibiting factor or whether they think they wouldn't enjoy reading it? Maybe they'd be embarrassed for their partner, parents, flat-mates to see the journal?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

There were several reasons why I took such a long time to subsribe to the Journal. Firstly I just never got around to it, it was always something I must remember to dotomorrow. Secondly was the cost. I know £10 is a bargain, but there always seemed to be something I needed more urgently. I did ask for the subscription as a Christmas present one year, but no one took it out for me. Thirdly, I wasn't 100% what I'd get for my money, it was only by reading more and more posts on the forums that I began to realise that it really would be something I would enjoy, and that by not subscribing I was missing out.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Katharine wrote:I wish I knew of a way to increase circulation..
I wonder what would happen if we asked Uncle Stephen/ Mr Stephen Isabiryre to promote the journal worldwide for us?
He seems to straddle the planet with his anecdotal promotions.Or if he's too busy with logistics and his own promotions, we could promote the journal ourselves just like Stephen does,everywhere it was in good taste to do so!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Well Stephen doesn't subscribe himself, so any endorsement by him would sound hollow, I think.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have just been back to page 1 of this thread and all who have contributed to it are already subscribers, I would guess that those who don't subscribe don't tend to look at a thread called 'Journal 49' in the first place, so many thanks for some of the kind remarks but I'm afraid that you are preaching to the converted.

You are full of wonderful suggestions, Pete, but I think perhaps your tongue was firmly in your cheek when you suggested Stephen I. as our ambassador when he has never even seen a copy! :lol:

I admit in response to Mu'minah's post above that a worldwide subscription is expensive, particularly for those living in parts of Asia, but I'm afraid that even at the current rate of £16 I am still sending it out at a loss, and the majority of those people were still receiving it at the old £14 subscription. When £12 of this is swallowed in postage, it is easy to understand the problem, as £2 doesn't exactly cover the cost of three Journals! :roll:
Aunt Fanny
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Aunt Fanny »

Just to say thanks you so much Tony for yet another wonderful journal.
So much to read, enjoy and learn--a real treat :) Aunty Fan .
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

We've made our first plug for the journal on the blog - it now has its own link on the right hand side :D

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
mouse88

Post by mouse88 »

I forgot to send in my renewal. Have since subscribed. :oops:

Is there any system for sending reminders? Most times I've lapsed on a journal like this is because I've forgotten to renew. Then the obvious lack of magazines puts the whole thought out of my head. Seeing this thread on the forum reminded me of my sub.
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Tony does usually send a reminder with the third (and last) journal of your subscription.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Maureen1954
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: All of the Famous Five

Post by Maureen1954 »

My Review on some of the articles in Journal 49

Tony
Firstly a lovely cover and so Christmassy,reminded me of my older sister Denise ( Rest in Peace ) and I when we where young looking outside at the falling snow a memory cherished forever :) Will put this Journal amongst my Christmas decorations!!! :D :D
Well done Tony again for a most informative Journal,great editorial and the option to buy the five booklets from the Society Shop, which I will!! (Maureen *pushes Pete out of the way to be ahead of him in the queue :P :lol: )

Anita
Great and informative article I have learnt a lot and as I read it I wondered " Gawd if I was writing this article I would forget something and get all muddled up, enjoyed how you where so descriptive you where definitely not twiddling your thumbs( pardon the puns :lol: ) And like Lucky Star I didnt know of a character called Duffy either and will have to chase him up!!!

Katherine

A most entertaining article and captivating by Katherine and thank you for sharing your Dream, it made me feel like I was walking in your shoes ( gees I was exhausted carrying your luggage :lol: :lol: ).I really did want some Pilchard ice cream and it was good to hear that Enid's work in the future will be in safe hands.
If in the near future the Enid Blyton Exhibition does a tour near you please go as well on behalf of the members that cant attend and live the dream for them and me :P and this time only bring a Backpack 8)

David Chambers

Most informative about Enid and Brer Rabbit and I didnt know Enid had written so may stories about him. It was amazing that Enid wrote 338 tales in 9 decades apart from what else she wrote!! Also learnt the original author was Joel Chandler Harris.Great article David thank you!!

Angela Channing

Well done Angela the " Bitter /Sweet" article you wrote about Gillian was captivating and you portrayed her beautifully and I am so glad you got to meet her.

Poppy Hutchinson
Good article Poppy and described perfectly, I love Lighthouses and have always been fascinated by them. Did you sit outside the Lighthouse like the Famous Five???

Thanks again Tony and all who contributed!!!!

Cheers and Gingerbeers
Maureen
Famous Five Forever!!!
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I put a link to the journal at the side of our blog the other day (think I've mentioned it already) and we've had our first click on it today, hopefully there'll be more!

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Redrachel76
Favourite book/series: Find Outers/Faraway Tree/ 6 Bad Boys

Post by Redrachel76 »

My favourites were the article on Gillian Baverstock and that article by Terry Gustafson on the weird story of the boy wishing he could have everything he wished for.
It touched on the magical philisophical stuff you found in some of Enid Blyton's stories, as well the as the cruel punishments she'ed put on "bad children.

Re:Finances: I hope you don't mind me making 3 suggestions - they might not be good but here goes:

1) The thread topic for the journal in this forum should be moved to the top. Now it's near the bottom so that people don't see it and they think that the society isn't about the journal so much.

2) Select some of the more interesting early journals and offer them for sale. There's a lovely archive of things in the early journals. I sometimes see an old journal on this website that I want but can't have because they are "out of print." For example one of the early journals has the only adult play Enid' Blyton ever wrote "A Summer Storm" and I would love to read that but can't. However, if it were offered for sale, either by post or by email I would pay for it. A lot of things from the archive of past journals could be offered for sale to raise funds.

3) I agree with a previous suggestion saying that there should be a mention of the society in some new EB books.