Journal 48

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Journal 48

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you, Tony. :D My Journal has just arrived in the post and it looks as good as ever. It'll be a real treat to read it at my leisure over the weekend.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Mine's arrived. Another lazy day again me thinks. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Loony the Dog
Favourite book/series: Book:The Boy next Door Series:Mystery or Adventure
Favourite character: Loony, Jack (Arnold), Kiki, Fatty, Bill, and Timmy

Post by Loony the Dog »

Mine might not arrive today as there's a Bank Holiday in NI for the 12th and 13th :(
In came the Taggertys. They were clean, except Biddy knees looked like she had been crawling half a mile in some muddy place.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

My copy also arrived today, and unusually for me - I've read the whole thing already!

Good to (finally :P) read Anita's review of the day, and to read the rest of Robert's review of Those Dreadful Children. I must admit, as a child I always considered the Taggertys as the dreadful ones!

John Lester's piece on stories in Wales was interesting, especially the details of changes between the serialised versions, and the books.

Angela Canning's article was wonderful - I loved her initial reaction to finding a copy of The Three Golliwogs, and the many interesting facts about the origins of the dolls, and of some of the names. One small detail though, the character from Island of Adventure was 'Jo-Jo', not 'Joe-Joe' originally.

Having recently read two of the Mr Twiddle books, the stories were reasonably fresh in my mind so I was able to fully appreciate Anita's article. Despite having not read the Twiddles until adulthood, they definitely have a special place in my collection. I love how the ridiculous the misunderstandings are, and you think "if you only though for a moment, or explained what happened!", yet I don't feel overly exasperated like I do with some slapstick, misunderstandings oriented comedy (like Frasier!)

I'm not sure I understood the adult story featured, I had to read it a few times before I was able to guess the premise as the guard awoke the wrong man at Crewe?

Terry Gustafson's article was also very interesting, and serves to prove it is near impossible to define the 'true essence' of Enid Blyton, as it is so multi-faceted. Another mention is made of Jo-Jo here, I thought, though (from various forum member's discussions) that he is now 'Joe' rather than 'Jo' (as stated by Terry).

All in all, another wonderful journal (must have been good as I rarely offer such a long review!) so well done to everyone involved.

Edited to add: at first I thought the article about Loony, by Loony was by the forum member 'Loony the Dog', turns out it was by Julie! :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

7upromana01 wrote:Just arrived. Read the report on the Enid Blyton Day and The Most Important Dog of All. Reading the Barney R will be near the top of the list of books I need to read! Very, very enjoyable journal.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it, Abi. I did wonder what you were making of it as I read mine.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

Haven't read all of it yet. The part 2 bits I won't read because I haven't read part 1.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Loony the Dog
Favourite book/series: Book:The Boy next Door Series:Mystery or Adventure
Favourite character: Loony, Jack (Arnold), Kiki, Fatty, Bill, and Timmy

Post by Loony the Dog »

Fiona1986 wrote:
Edited to add: at first I thought the article about Loony, by Loony was by the forum member 'Loony the Dog', turns out it was by Julie! :lol:
It rather scared me for a moment that! :lol:
In came the Taggertys. They were clean, except Biddy knees looked like she had been crawling half a mile in some muddy place.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

My journal hasn't arrived yet. I'll have to wait until Monday now. Something to look forward too. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

I've just spent a wonderful couple of hours sat in the garden with a cuppa and my copy of the journal. As usual it was a pleasure to read. Highlights for me were Anita's review on the EB Day (I really must get myself down to the next one) and John's piece about Wales. I also really enjoy Tony's editorial.

Many thanks to all the contributors, really looking forward to 49 :D
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Havent read all of the Journal yet, but its a great one, full of many interesting articles, as always. I particularly enjoyed the EB adult story, and I have to say I thought it was very amusing...more like a joke than a short story, but very enjoyable.

I also liked Angela Canning's exploration of the critisisms of Enid's writing...though I didnt quite agree with what she seemed to be saying about the song 'Ten Little Nigger Boys' - suggesting that as the black minstrels sang it and enjoyed it then it wasnt racist as such...I had always presumed that Minstrel shows consisted of blacked-up white people...so presumably the song 'ten Little Nigger Boys' wasnt very often actually sung by true black people.

On teh other hand, as I have said previously, a while ago, I think Enid was being anything BUT racist in her story about Little Black sambo. What she was actually saying, in my opinion, was that we should accept all people, regardless of colour, and judge them only by their personality...something that the critics of that story obviously didnt agree with.

Having being unable to attend the Day, I was very interested to read Anita's excellent review of everything that went on...sounds like a missed out. Especially interested to hear about the film detailing Enid's earlier life...and being quite a fan of Georgina Hargreaves, I'm sorry I missed seeing her in action. It also cleared up a mystery I have often wondered about, as it appears she drew illustrations for Dean editions before moving on to the Wishing Chair deluxe editions...which explains some of the similarities in some of the illustrations, which I always thought had been done by Rene Cloke, as her style is very similar.

I also enjoyed John Lester's article on Wales, being half Welsh myself...but I don't entireluy agree about the Mountain of Adventure, being one of those who has critisised this story in the past for its Welsh stereotypes as well as the far-fetched story. I agree that it's fiction, and so it doesnt matter on one hand...and John gave a great example when talking about Dracular and blood transfusions! But I still say we can suspend belief so far, but things still need to be rooted in reality somehow...and the problem with Mountain (for me anyway) is that none of it is realistic: even the Welsh setting and characters. The most believeable bit for me is the fact that the piolots are being forced to try out the defective 'wings', and the 'magic' metal...but all the stuff built inside the mountain takes a big stretch of imagination for me.

But, a very good article indeed.

I havent read the other articles yet...but looking forward to doing so.

Congratulations to everyone involved in this issue...and especially to Tony, as always. :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Robert Houghton wrote:John gave a great example when talking about Dracular and blood transfusions!
Which reminds me! As I was reading that, I thought, well that's maybe not such a leap. Providing Lucy was AB+ she could receive blood from any other blood group (A+, A-, B+, B-, O+, 0-). Even if she was A+ she could still receive A+, A-, O+ and O-. I suppose the real issue would be the other characters knowledge of this. Either they knew her blood type and theirs, or they had no idea there was potentially a danger in giving her the wrong type.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

I've also read the thing about the gollies. Very interesting.
On teh other hand, as I have said previously, a while ago, I think Enid was being anything BUT racist in her story about Little Black sambo. What she was actually saying, in my opinion, was that we should accept all people, regardless of colour, and judge them only by their personality...something that the critics of that story obviously didnt agree with
Also like Robert said I think the same. As ginger-haired I'm often judged by the colour of my hair and I don't like it at all. :(
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have a copy of Little Black Sambo (well, it's Jane's really) and it isn't by Enid Blyton. :?
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Its actually 'The Little Black doll', but his name is Sambo...;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up, Rob! :)
Society Member