Journal 44

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Journal 44

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Fascinating figures!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Fascinating figures!
Most interesting! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Although the number of overseas members has remained fairly constant, I should perhaps show the other side of the coin and mention the overall position.

Between March 2009 and March 2010, 175 failed to resubscribe, but we had 198 new members.
Between March 2010 and March 2011, 170 failed to resubscribe and we had 115 new members.

We have always had a large number dropping out and I think a lot of this is due to adults seeing the name Enid Blyton and assuming that the Journal will be aimed at children. When they find that it obviously isn't aimed at a 6 year-old, understandably they don't resubscribe. However every year up to last year we have increased in size as the number of new members has always been greater than that of the drop outs.

As you can see from the figures above, over the last year the position has changed and I have had to reduce the print run for both J43 and even more for J44. The real test will come with this new Journal as I am sending out 250 resubscription forms with them. Up to 70% ignore these as they think it will be good fun for me to send out a huge quantity of further reminders in July - I am optimistically hoping that this won't follow the usual trend and that I don't have to reduce the Journal 45 print run further still.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Some of the dropouts could also be due to adults getting a temporary rush of nostalgia and then losing interest. How many times have we seen people register on these forums in a great lather of nostalgic excitement only to be never heard of again. :roll: I am sure that the society will remain strong though. Blyton is still fantastically popular thoughout the world and numbers (for any group) tend to rise and fall over time.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Timmylover
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five Find-Outers, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Have a guess

Post by Timmylover »

Lucky Star wrote:How many times have we seen people register on these forums in a great lather of nostalgic excitement only to be never heard of again. :roll: I am sure that the society will remain strong though.
Very well put. I've become quite cynical now about those who introduce themselves, are then welcomed (of course), only for the vast majority to vanish into the ether very quickly. I'm aware that not everyone who posts on the forums is a Society member, and vice versa, but agree that we will remain a strong Society for years to come.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers".
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Journal 44 has left the building!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Well done, Tony. Look forward to receiving my copy.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Goody! :D
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Can't wait. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

My Journal 44 has just arrived!

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Timmylover
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five Find-Outers, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Have a guess

Post by Timmylover »

Journal 44 has just arrived - thanks so much, Tony. It looks superb (my husband has just commented on how professional and attractive it is). Have already looked at the contents - can't wait to get stuck into it!
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers".
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Mine's just arrived too. Looks a fun packed read as always. Can't start until this evening though, I'm off out this afternoon!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Yippee! My copy has just arrived too. :D it looks great and I look forward to reading it from cover to cover this evening. A real treat! Many thanks, Tony! My subscription renewal will be in the post later today.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Well, I had intended to do some serious cleaning today but........ my journal has also arrived. It's great Tony. Thank you so much for all your hard work and to the contributors of course for such a wealth and variety of articles. Now I've read a couple of them, I must go and get the duster out! Much still to look forward to later tonight.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Mine has arrived too and what a bundle of joy it is. I haven't got too far yet but the colour sections are brilliant. I've just read Tony's editorial (number 43?). Then I turned as always to David Cook's article. I am actually very sorry indeed that this series of articles has come to an end; they have been a companion now for several years and I have much enjoyed them and shall tell David so when I next see him. Oh well I can always re-read them. He is actually very kind to ....Banshee Towers. A little kinder than I and others have been about it on these forums, perhaps I should read it again.

The only other one I have read thus far is Robert Houghton's brilliant dissection of The Secret of Cliff Castle. This is a book which I only discovered in adulthood and I heartily agreed with all Rob's findings. I remember being surprised at the gift of an electric car as this didn't seem to me to fit in with the wartime setting but I guess this was probably a big thing to children of the time. Rob expresses perfectly the nature of our reaction to the treasure hoard, suggesting that, as adults, we may sneer at it but as kids we would be enthralled by it. The hoard is a typical Blyton one, it reminds me much of the one discovered at the end of Five Go off in a Caravan, and I was inded enthralled as a child at the thought of all these fabulous coloured treasures gleaming in the torchlight in a darkened cave or dungeon. I look forward immensely to the next episode which will feature my favourite Pollock book Smuggler Ben.

I'll comment more tomorrow when I've read more but for now its just thanks again to Tony and all the contributors for the work they have all put in to bring us yet another great EBS Journal. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member