Journal 41

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Re: Journal 41

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Laura wrote:
Robert Houghton wrote:I havent read much of it yet, but turned straight to the letters page to read what people thought of the last Journal. Judging by some of the comments I was glad I didnt contribute to Journal 40!!! Poor Anita, and poor Tony: they certainly came in for some stick! :shock:
Apologies for being really dense, but there's a letters page? I know that I've not been a member of the society for that long, but I must have missed it when I've read all my journals. It's a shame that people weren't very complementary this time, though. It would be pretty boring if everyone liked everything, but there's no need for them to just talk about they didn't like, and if they hated everything, why are they members?

I look forward to April, when I get to read my copy! :D
Hi Laura.

There isn't a letters page in every Journal. Tony adds them when the need for one arises.
Regards,
Wayne. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

Oh, thanks Wayne. There can't have been one in the year and a half that I've been a member, then. I'm not going crazy, after all. :lol:
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Topping Journal, Tony. I have just read Fred Clampitt's article 'It began with Saucy Jane', it is sad to think of the fate of those "author's copies richly bound in leather and tooled in gold", and I wonder what became of the artist's original illustrations for dust-jackets framed on the walls?

I was interested to read Enid's reaction to the author calling 'herself' Enid Boyten. This was in real life Horace E Boyten and the 'paper' mentioned must have been either School Friend or Girls' Crystal. Poor Horace; Boyten really was his name (did the E stand for Enid??!!), he was one of a stable of writers (all men) who wrote for the Amalgamated Press' girls' story papers and annuals, and yes, he did write about a school called St Claire's, but as this was set in war-time France I'm sure no child thought our Enid wrote it.

Maybe, he used the name Enid in a spirit of mischief or perhaps it was his mother's name, who knows? But I would love to know what happened when Enid sent a copy of School Friend to her solicitor!

Kate.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Kate Mary wrote:I have just read Fred Clampitt's article 'It began with Saucy Jane', it is sad to think of the fate of those "author's copies richly bound in leather and tooled in gold"...
In an interview for Hello!, November 2nd 1996, Gillian Baverstock spoke of having inherited her mother's "beautiful mahogany bookcase...That's where I keep her leather-bound copies." I think some of the leather-bound copies can be seen in a photo of bookcase accompanying the magazine article, though I can't make out the titles. I don't know whether the books have remained in the family since Gillian died.
Kate Mary wrote:...and I wonder what became of the artist's original illustrations for dust-jackets framed on the walls?
In the second post in the following thread (see link below), two framed dust-jackets can be seen hanging on the wall at Green Hedges along with a portrait of Enid. One looks to me like the Raymond Sheppard jacket for The Adventures of Pip and the other might well be More Adventures of Pip. Both those dust-jackets were exhibited in Lavenham last year, though I don't know who owned/owns them or whether they were up for sale. In another photo of Enid somewhere, I recall seeing the Treyer Evans dust-jacket for The Christmas Book hanging on her wall.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... ond#p64977" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kate Mary wrote: I would love to know what happened when Enid sent a copy of School Friend to her solicitor!
Interesting about Horace E. Boyten. I remember you mentioning him once before. Yes, it would be amusing to see what Enid's solicitor said!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

What a great Journal! There are so many highlights - and I've only looked at half of it so far! I think we all owe Norman and David a huge vote of thanks for putting in such "a lot of effort" to produce such an excellent edition. Well done to the pair of you! :shock:
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

My copy was on the mat last night when I got home. It must have made a whopping big dent in the floor its so packed with stuff this time. :lol: I've just had time so far to read the editorial (always my first port of call), David Cook's excellent FFO article and that letters page. Good Lord. Tony said he hasn't received letters in about four years; judging by the three printed in journal 41 that must be a big relief. :lol:

Anyway I will review in more detail when I've had a chance to sit down and read it cover to cover but it does look like an absolutely superb edition this spring. Thanks Tony. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Laura wrote:Oh, thanks Wayne. There can't have been one in the year and a half that I've been a member, then. I'm not going crazy, after all. :lol:
   According to my Journal Index, the last “your letters” page was in Journal 29.

I have now received Journal 41 so I will include it in my almost-complete Index. It looks as good as ever (the journal I mean!) and I'm looking forward to reading it.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:What a great Journal! There are so many highlights - and I've only looked at half of it so far! I think we all owe Norman and David a huge vote of thanks for putting in such "a lot of effort" to produce such an excellent edition. Well done to the pair of you! :shock:
Yes, well done to the two of them! :wink:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I must admit, I think Mrs I.C Newton was very critical of Anita's article (I.C, even! (icy) :lol: ). After all, Anita was simply writing about the merits and or otherwise of the Adventure Magazine and giving those of us who had never come across it a chance to read about what sort of stories they contained. To only write about Enid's original stories would, in my opinion, make for a pretty flat Journal. What makes our Journal so good, I think, is the vast variety of subjects and editions covered.

I don't quite understand what I.C Newton means about 'the foot of page 62 (of Journal 40)' when she says ,'I feel the whole subject is very disloyal to E Blyton...' but I take it she means that Anita should never have written the article in the first place?! I strongly disagree with this: Anita's articles are always relevant and well-written, and often about books or magazines (such as 'The Troublesome Three' article) which many fans of Blyton may not have come across. I certainly don't agree with I.C. Newton's statement that it is 'not I fear what true E Blyton fans want to read'.

I wonder what else ICY Newton wrote in her apparently long letter that Tony was too gentlemanly to publish: I'm sure she spouted quite a bit more acid that didnt make it to the final print. It's a pity instead that she didnt see fit to write her own article about Enid Blyton or her writing and submit it for inclusion in the Journal.

I feel perhaps I am included when Jean Singleton mentions that 'articles are getting too long', although as she then goes on to only mention Norman and David, perhaps she doesn't even give my articles a second glance! But I just feel an article is the length it's meant to be. If you find stuff to say, you just let it find it's own length (within reason).

At the moment I've only really read these letters, and it's a pity they are pretty negative, particularly as none of the writers have ever contrubuted to The Journal.

Next, I'll get on to those LONG articles that (thankfully) fill the rest of this quality booklet of ours 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

My journal arrived today, will sit down and have a read most likely starting with this letters page! I actually have journal 29 as I ordered a few of the issues that were available from before I joined, but I don't remember the letters page so I will have to have a look again at it.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Robert Houghton wrote:I must admit, I think Mrs I.C Newton was very critical of Anita's article (I.C, even! (icy) :lol: ).
:wink:

Mrs. I. C. Newton obviously disliked the whole topic which is fair enough, and she may not have been alone, but on the other hand there may have been others who enjoyed reading about a lesser-known Blyton spin-off. Tony doesn't get a great deal of off-forum feedback so it's not easy to judge. There must surely have been other articles in Journal 40 which did hold Mrs. I. C. Newton's interest and which she enjoyed (and approved of!) but she didn't bother mentioning those. Like you, Robert, I think the key to a good Journal is variety and there is always plenty of that. And when it comes to writing articles I like to have a bit of variety too, and write about whatever happens to take my fancy at the time! When working on that particular piece I was aware that many readers might not have seen Enid Blyton's Adventure Magazine so I took care to give enough background detail and explanation without (hopefully!) spoiling things for anyone who was in the middle of collecting the magazines. Over the years I have enjoyed reading articles about Blyton books and items I haven't read or seen and have often learnt something new. I tracked down The Famous Five Treasure Quest Game (another "modern" item!) as a direct result of reading an article about it in the Journal. Before that, I hadn't even known of its existence.

As you say, Robert, it would be good to see articles from Jean Singleton and Mrs. I. C. Newton in future issues!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

If those are the sort of nasty, narrow minded, unappreciating letters you get Tony, I wouldn't bother wasting two prefectly good journal pages printing them. Why on earth do people write in simply to say 'I did not like/agree with an INDEPENDENT writer's opinion? TBH I'm rather disgusted at the level of malice subtly directed at Anita in the second letter. It is entirely up to Anita to form her own opinions and as the Journal Editor to deem a piece worthy of printing. The fact that this woman doesn't share the same opinion does not give her the right to send a nasty letter. I quite feel like writing an angry letter to these people, but as that might not go down too well I may just write a nice letter to Tony instead..... do you think it might get printed?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

All this talk has seriously made me wait for Journal 41. Can I write a reply to Mrs Icy or will that be too inflammatory a move? (No joke)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I received my journal this morning.Thank you so much Tony.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

The latest Journal, as always, is a delight from cover to cover. :D The high standard never falls. A BIG thank you to you, Tony and to all those who contributed to issue 41. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member