Journal 41

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Moonraker

Re: Journal 41

Post by Moonraker »

The man is truly a legend. He never fails to impress. :D
Society Member
Kiki's new mam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/Malory Towers

Post by Kiki's new mam »

all this talk about the enid blyton society journal is making me feel jealous! :evil: i haven't got mine yet :cry: hope it will come soon though, i'm looking forward to reading it :D

Leila.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I hate to tell you this Leila, but Debbie's subscription ran out with Journal 40 and she never renewed, that's why you haven't had a Journal! :cry:
Kiki's new mam

Post by Kiki's new mam »

Hi Tony

Leila's big sister Debbie here :)
I'm very sorry, it slipped my mind to renew the subscription, I wasn't sure when it was next due.
But Leila is pleased to know that it's been renewed, and she's really looking forward to her next journal!
Looking forward to the Enid Blyton day in May :D
Debs
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am just off to the post office with it! :lol:
Kiki's new mam

Post by Kiki's new mam »

Thats's great, thanks very much Tony :D
Leila (and me) are really really pleased!!
Can't wait to get it :D
Debs
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

I have belatedly got around to reading my copy of Journal 41, my shifts are such that finding time for a relaxing read is very difficult indeed. :(

I will not add to what everyone else has already said, other than to say that once again we have a bumper Journal that is absolutely packed end to end with interesting content. Thank you once again Tony. :D

For me the articles are an introduction to Enid Blyton books that I have yet to read or last read during childhood and all but forgotten until now. For example, David Cook's Five Find-Outers and Dog,(Part 10) a series that I am slowly but surely collecting as 1st editions (or as near as!) pending a time when I can get around to reading in chronological order.

Anita Bensoussane's The Naughtiest Girl (Part 1) reminded me of hot summer days lying on a newly mown primary school field during lunch break, reading this book which I somehow "obtained" from my younger sister. Naturally though, I was discreet about reading a Blyton in public, my mates would have crucified me for reading a boarding school story!

Now, if I may join the fray over Mrs Newton's letter. Was it really so wrong of Anita to express enthusiasm for a modern comic strip adaptation of the original books? I am the first one to grumble at the updated text in modern editions of Blyton books, but surely other formats such as film, television and of course comic strips can be allowed a little poetic licence? It must be remembered that any adaptation of Enid's work inevitably leads to curiousity and eventual reading of the original books themselves. This can only be a very good thing indeed! :D
Moonraker wrote:Maybe our friend, Mrs Newton, could expand further on her views at the forthcoming Society Day?
No! Please Moonraker, is not the forthcoming Famous Five Dick-Jo battle renactment between Gary Russell and Julie Davis sufficient violence for one day? :lol:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Petermax wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Maybe our friend, Mrs Newton, could expand further on her views at the forthcoming Society Day?
No! Please Moonraker, is not the forthcoming Famous Five Dick-Jo battle renactment between Gary Russell and Julie Davis sufficient violence for one day? :lol:
You're quite right, Petermax. Of course, there is also the possibility that Stephen may come over to talk to us about his new book, TFF:APA. :twisted:
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Moonraker wrote: Of course, there is also the possibility that Stephen may come over to talk to us about his new book, TFF:APA. :twisted:
In that case it might be wise to install a metal detector at the entrance... we wouldn't want a death marring the day now would we?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

You'd be better off making a weekend more than a day if that happens.
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Wayne Pyer wrote:You'd be better off making a weekend more than a day if that happens.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
Wayne Pyer wrote:You'd be better off making a weekend more than a day if that happens.
...is that your average EB Day audience??! :shock: :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

You have to admit that the majority of the people who attend are adults! :wink:

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Robert Houghton wrote: ...is that your average EB Day audience??! :shock: :lol:
Yeah and thats the forumites in the front row. :lol: Incidentally does anyone else think the woman in the furry collared coat looks a bit like Enid Blyton? :shock:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

You're right, Lucky Star :D But it's not Enid Blyton. I know because I'm sitting next to that woman. I'm the one with the black hat :mrgreen:
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."