Journal 40

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Katharine

Re: Journal 40

Post by Katharine »

I've just made a start on this journal.

It gets off to a good start with the gorgeous 'Christmas Day in Toy Town' cover.

It was very interesting to read Norman Wright's comments about the screening of 'Five Have a Mystery to Solve'. Firstly it was good to see that there was a good number of people who were able to see the film. I've watched it on DVD, but it must have been great to see it on the big screen. After reading how much it cost to get the first film released onto VHS, I feel very fortunate indeed that both films were eventually released onto DVD.

Charles Brand article about Enid Blyton 'The Musician' was interesting - I hadn't appreciated before that Enid used a mix of general music and more specific pieces in a number of her books. I enjoyed his end comment which pondered how Enid's career may have turned out if she'd followed the musical path she was originally encouraged to follow. While I suspect she may well have been quite successful, personally I don't think she'd have had the same output as she did as an author, and doubt she would be as well remembered today.

David Cook continued his look at the FFO books - this time 'The Mystery of Holly Lane' - I have read the book, but as with most of the others in the series, I don't remember it that well, so it was good to see it being looked at in detail. I felt that it was a strange mix of a book. Goon certainly shows a particularly nasty side to him, and David does point out a couple of weaknesses, but overall, I think it is one of the better stories.

The reprint of a Dorothy M. Wheeler sketch of Bumpy was nice to see - thank goodness someone had rescued it from a rubbish tip. Like Tony, I too shudder to think of how much artwork has been lost that way. :(

Am looking forward to the next article 'The "Golden Key"', written by Enid - sounds intriguing.
Society Member