Journal 33

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Re: Journal 33

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I started to read the journal last night in bed, but being tired missed out a critical word in Anita's splendid article about The Children of Green Meadows, which then threw me into a state of temporary confusion.

The word was a simple "a"

What I read was "at the beginning of the novel, the Marshalls are in Slough..."

Slough? :shock: Slough!!! :?

The context was about family self worth. Slough isn't THAT bad a place, I thought, and to suggest otherwise seemed rather harsh. I didn't remember the book being set in Slough, but then I've never known Anita to be wrong about anything Blytonian...

Slough would be the right sort of place for the book to be set in. It's west of London and had a rapid period of growth mid last century and is most recently known as the setting for the BBC comedy The Office.

The poet John Betjamen didn't like the new building - here are the first two verses of one of his most famous poems

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
It isn't fit for humans now,
There isn't grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
Those air - conditioned, bright canteens,
Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
Tinned minds, tinned breath.

I then re-read the sentence and I realised my mistake. Ah well... :roll:

Thanks for a great journal, Tony!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[Viv:] The context was about family self worth. Slough isn't THAT bad a place, I thought, and to suggest otherwise seemed rather harsh.
:lol: Your comments made me chuckle, as did Betjeman's poem. Another Betjeman poem - Myfanwy - always reminds me of Enid Blyton and of other authors who wrote about girls' schools or girls' stories in general:

http://oldpoetry.com/opoem/show/6208-Si ... an-Myfanwy

David Essex set that poem to music. I've just found it on YouTube, beautifully sung I think and well worth a listen:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BPNkB7biMOg

Journal 33 certainly lived up to expectations and was very attractively presented as usual. It was a pleasure to see the faces of Ming and Barbara Stoney smiling out from the cover and I turned to Ming's article first. What a thorough account of your travels, Ming, so lively and observant! I like the way you started at the very beginning, with you sitting at the dinner-table feeling glum because the prospect of going to the Enid Blyton Day seemed like an impossible dream. And I loved the line, "Now I don't call Tony's house a house! I call it a library, or a museum!" Then there was that wonderful tribute to your home and family being "something solid and real - nothing like it." Lovely!

Next I read "The Secret of Opaltide." A nice little story which predates the rather similar "The Secret Cave." Opaltide is an evocative place-name and it's a pity that Enid Blyton didn't make more of it. Bill is what you might call "a caution" and I smiled at his remark, "Come on! If we're going to be naughty, we might as well do it properly!" The references to the coal-hole, overalls, the garret, "electric torches" and to Robin wearing "knickers" give it a lovely old-fashioned flavour and it's obvious that it's an early story. I notice that Enid Blyton forgets to tell us whether Mollie ever found her brooch!

In David Cook's article I was interested to learn that, while Barbara Stoney refers to the Inspector who inspired Inspector Jenks as Stephen Jennings, Imogen Smallwood refers to him as Stephen Jenkins. I wonder which name is right?

David Chambers' piece was absorbing and wide-ranging as always. It's interesting that Enid Blyton owned a natural history book called Eyes and No Eyes by Arabella Buckley, as Enid used the name Arabella Buckley in The Naughtiest Girl is a Monitor. Enid Blyton reworked an amazing number of traditional tales and David Chambers is right that the "essence" of some of them is to be found in her own stories. I look forward with anticipation to the rest of his article.

I also enjoyed Dennis T. Worley's perceptive comments on the Secret Seven.

Thanks, Tony!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

How did John Betjeman end up here? I love the way that threads on this forum can go slightly off topic. My memory has been jogged again with this Betjeman talk. As a teenager he was my favourite poet thanks to my very inspiring English teacher. After "Slough", "Executive" was a big favourie of mine. I actually saw John Betjeman back in 1983 at St Pancras, probably one of his final public engagements before his death in 1984.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I got it too, time for a renewal though, has it really been one year already gosh time flies. How many do we get in a year again, Mine are all over the place, what with the book shelf tipping over and all!
The articles were brill, and Ming on the front cover, made me want to read it straight away, after my mum read it.
There is always something else new to learn.
Jools
Favourite book/series: The Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Julian

Post by Jools »

It's late so haven't got much time, but just wanted to say a big thank you for the latest journal. Excellent.
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Good to see you back, Susie! :)
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Aunt Fanny
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Aunt Fanny »

Weighty one safely safely delivered, and, after months of eager anticipation is an absolute joy--many thanks.
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

My copy arrived just four days after being posted - not bad going, considering how far it had to travel! :shock: So far, I have read the little article by Sheila Ray (interesting question she poses there), the Letter from Timmy, the Secret Seven article (from the title, I thought it was going to be more about the Seven's relationship with Susie, but I still very much enjoyed the analysis of the first books in this series and look forward to the remaining parts) and Ming's article (I echo the praise that other have already accorded to it, but may I add that I really liked the "Thrilling Thirteen" moniker!). However, I plan to read the entire thing in due course and will look into buying back issues (I see a lot of the early ones are now out of print). Apart from the excellent analytical articles, it's great to be able to read some of Enid's own writings that would be well nigh impossible to acquire otherwise! I'm really looking forward to reading The Secret of Opaltide at my leisure! So I wholeheartedly render my thanks for this splendid tome too! :mrgreen:
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I have been spinning it out for the last two days. The Secret of Opaltide is the last article to read, I'll enjoy that tonight I think. As always the journal was a fantastic read, in addition to Mings article I loved Anita's Green Meadows piece and I did wish that John Atkins article on Firearms in the Adventure series had been longer as it was such a good read.

Many thanks as always to all the writers involved and of course to Tony who must have had a mammoth task putting all of that together. The old stories and old illustrations sections were definitely winners with me. As Rowan said above it would be virtually impossible to see these anywhere else these days without spending an absolute fortune so keep em comin' please. :wink:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Christophe
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Dick, Philipp

Post by Christophe »

Please welcome the latest subsriber and society member - ME !
You've made me so curious, I couldn't resist any longer :D
Aunt Fanny
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Re: Journal 33 green meadows

Post by Aunt Fanny »

Have just been enjoying Anita's article on The Children at Green Meadows.
Especially interesting was the comparison of names and events in Blyton's own life.
During the 1950's there was family shop called Marshalls in Beaconsfield village. It sold old fashioned bikes(basket and pump sort!.)I think Enid admitted to finding thinking of names tiresome, so I just wondered......
Adjacent to this was a field full of wild flowers, and a few small allotments.
When the local council decided that houses, and (heaven forbid!) a Woolworths were to be built there the genteel beaconsfield folks strongly objected! In this case, unlike Green Meadows there was no compromise.
Expect this is much to fanciful to draw parallels, as the subject is as old as the hills and still continues very much now,but it's fun to suppose!
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Aunt Fanny wrote:Expect this is much to fanciful to draw parallels, as the subject is as old as the hills and still continues very much now,but it's fun to suppose!
Yes it is, and it sparks new interest in these old books. I'm looking forward to reading "the children at green meadows" now if I can find it.
I actually haven't read quite a few of the books that were mentioned in the various articles, so there's always something new to learn.

Such a variety of articles too - the firearm one broke new ground I thought.

And it's always good to read about the Find Outers. I know these books quite well, so the article had a nice air of familiarity about it, but with a few new observations added.

Ming shared the excitement of her overseas trip very well and I enjoyed seeing those pictures of Tony's books. I could identify a few of them too.

Even old Timmy sent in a letter I see. He must have learnt to read and write while he was at Gaylands School! :)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Another masterpiece. Tony is (again) to be congratulated in producing this bumper edition. Ming and Barbara on the cover as well - almost as much an accolade as being on the front of the Radio Times!

Anita's article, The Children at Green Meadows and the Woman at Green Hedges was of particular interest to me, as I had just read it for, I think, the first time. I greatly enjoyed the book, it seemed a bit like a FF novel, but without the mystery. Here we could revel in the delights of Green Meadows and focus on the social issues without worrying about who is flashing on the cliff! I too saw many connections between Green Meadows and Green Hedges - it was good to see them confirmed in Anita's writing.

Another stomping performance from David Cook. His second part of his article on my favourite band - The Five Find-Outers and Dog. David gives us a great plot summary - although I don't usually like to see the solution given away; still, I guess most of us have read the books, but maybe a spoiler warning should be present? I suppose though that David is so in depth with this article that he feels the need to comment on the final solution. Looking at the cover of Burnt Cottage reinforces my belief that the cottage on the back should be the one on fire - it fits the descriptive narrative far better than the one on the front. David also gave us a fascinating insight to Tapping, Enid's own gardener. This is a series of articles I find difficult to wait for!

When I first saw the heading, Firearms, my first thought was here's another Gordon Lupson! However, it was really interesting. To someone who doesn't know one end of a gun to the other, I found it totally absorbing. Thanks to John Atkins, I now know my pistols from my revolvers!

Terry Gustafson's The Enchanted Wood was another great read. My favourite of all the magical/fantasy series of Enid's, I was spellbound! I will enjoy re-reading this series far more after digesting the content of this excellent article.

These treasures were followed by wonderful articles on the often maligned Secret Seven series, and Part Ten of Robert's series on the younger Family Books. Great illustrations accompanied these great articles, oh, what happy reading!

Finally, the subject matter of the cover illustration - Ming in Blytonland. I have said much about Ming in the past, so I won't re-iterate my opinion of her here. Suffice to say, she fully lived up to expectations. We can all learn lessons from her intense devotion to the Society and the works of Blyton. She can also teach us that nothing is impossible if we have the will and determination to achieve our goals. Well done, Ming.

Thanks everyone, from the contributors to the old fellow himself.

What would Julian say?

Footnote: I had inadvertently closed the tab, thereby deleting this post before submitting it. Thanks to following instructions from Ming, I re-discovered it in the closed tabs section of the History folder. Thanks, Ming.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting stuff, Aunt Fanny. Yes, it's fun to speculate!

I'm another person who didn't know my pistols from my revolvers before reading John Atkins' article!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I'm another person who didn't know my pistols from my revolvers before reading John Atkins' article!
Me too!! Now I know whether my dad's "gun" is a pistol or a revolver!

Society Member