Question re early Journal

What did you think of the latest Journal?
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

I've just got my hands on the first 10 Journals that I missed and saw in there a bit about a newsletter for younger people. Is this still on the go? If it is, how do I get a copy? I know I probably don't meet the criteria of being "young" but I'm sure my daughter would love it. I think it was a Junior Newsletter. Any info?

Thanks
tix

Post by tix »

Dear Children, Welcome to the Enid Blyton Literary Society Junior Newsletter. With centenary year approaching rapidly, there are many exciting things happening in the world of Enid Blyton …. so began the Summer, 1996 issue. It was a one page (both sides) newssheet geared to children whose parents would probably have been subscribers to the Enid Blyton Journal and “Helen” (related, I suppose, to one of the High-Up Enid Blyton Mag. administrators of the time) was the editor. It featured contributions such as short book reviews (“Amy” wrote a nine-liner about Brer Rabbit), “Corfe or Kirrin?” - yes, the argument was alive in those days. A quick quiz (How many books are there in the Secret Seven series?), general news about the Enid Blyton world, pictures drawn by readers (“Olwin” supplied a portrait of the Famous Five), a “What’s Wrong?” picture with about nine mistakes in it, news about the upcoming Enid Blyton Literary Society Day - one of which is due any minute.

A “Laith” who was well up in his knowledge of Enid Blyton wrote a page of prose about the pulling down of Green Hedges (the author’s home). A painting competition of a Secret Seven picture from a 1950’s “Enid Blyton Magazine” had as its prize a copy of the “Famous Five Character Guide.” An interview with the person who designed the 1997 Enid Blyton stamps was conducted by Helen.

“The 1997 Society Day was a great success, and the 1998 Day is planned for 9th May so keep that free. Did you see the Royal Mail’s Enid Blyton stamps? Don’t miss The Enchanted Lands on BBC one - based on the Faraway Tree books.”

The winter, 1998 issue featured a letter to the children from a very famous person called “Gillian” who was going to take over the editorship of the newsletter because Helen was beginning her A-Levels.

New books (reprints) by Enid Blyton were announced and “If any of you live near Cardiff a play called - The Secret Seven Saved the World, is being performed at Sherman’s Theatre.” Anne Digby had written four more books about Elizabeth and Whyteleafe School, a new Noddy play was touring the country, and an M.G. in Scotland advertised a club for children 7-18 who love Enid Blyton's books. It cost £1 to join. I sent my £1 away and received no answer! “Olivia” contributed a poem about Noddy, and another very famous person called “Matt” supplied us with a quiz in a 1999 copy of the newsletter (Who is the youngest Famous Five member? Who was forced to resign from the Secret Seven? When was Enid Blyton born? What are the names of Enid Blyton’s two daughters?).

The editor got to the stage where she considered closing it as there didn’t seem to be quite enough interest and so, as all good things do, it finished up.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Very interesting indeed, tiq. The Secret Seven Saved the World? Golly - I wonder what that was all about?!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member