Journal 32

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Journal 32

Post by Lucky Star »

YIPPEE!!! The postman has just delivered my copy of Journal 32. Unfortunatly I have to go to work so will have to wait till later to read it all but it looks like a great issue. I just had a quick read of Colin Harding's "Events at Corfe Castle" which was excellent and I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with David Cook's Five Find outers article.

Three cheers to Tony and the gang for bringing us another treat. :D
Timmy-the-dog
Favourite book/series: Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Me!!

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

Mine just arrived too and I've been sitting in this wonderful sunshine reading it. Another great issue - congrats to all concerned. The back cover is one of the best bits for me - where did this one turn up from, Tony?
I'd love one to go with my "Book Around Europe" any sellers out there :wink:

cheers

Timmy
woof,woof!!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hurrah! Arrived home this afternoon to find my Journal lying on the doormat. At least we'll have something good to read while the website is down - great timing, Tony! (Well, except for subscribers living outside Britain who probably won't receive the Journal for a while yet!)

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Timmy-the-dog wrote:The back cover is one of the best bits for me - where did this one turn up from, Tony?
I'd love one to go with my "Book Around Europe" any sellers out there :wink:

cheers

Timmy
I hate to tell you this, but it was on ebay as a buy it now for £14.95 and none of us saw it!! Fortunately the buyer has my Bibliographies and she contacted me to tell me that it wasn't in there - otherwise no-one would have known anything about it!! :cry:
Timmy-the-dog
Favourite book/series: Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Me!!

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

Thanks for that, Tony
arghhhh!!!! :lol: :lol:

cheers

Timmy
woof,woof!!
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

My copy of the Journal was waiting for me on my return from being away for a few days, so a very nice welcome home!

I have to say I think David Cook's Five Find-Outers and Dog article is just great! So informative.

David's review of the Adventure series (recently come to an end in the Journal) is by far my favourite review of that series of books. However the FFO series looks as if it could be better! Many thanks (if David Cook reads this).

I can't wait to visit Bourne End, upon which David believes Peterswood is based. I recall that in Tony Summerfield's "Where is Kirrin" article (Journal 31) he commented that a visitor would be 'horribly disappointed if they expected to walk into an ice cream parlour and find a chair with 'Fatty sat here' on it'. I should perhaps therefore temper my enthusiasm. But David does list several specific locations which would be fun to explore - even if they represent just some of the ingredients which make up Peterswood.

And of course Spring seems to be just about arriving - which makes a visit to Bourne End much more enticing than when Tony wrote his article, in the middle of winter!

In this opening article David introduces the series rather than launch straight into a review of The Mystery of the Burnt Cottage. This is perhaps most fortunate, as it means the article doesn't serve as a spoiler for our FFO readathon!

I have yet to read the remainder of the Journal, but many thanks to Tony for producing it, and to all who invested time in writing the articles. It is appreciated. :D :D
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I haven't got mine yet, still waiting, will let you know when it arrives. :(
I hope it comes tomorrow, and I hope the postman, doesn't do what he did yesterday and that was put 20 letters no exaggeration believe me, though our door, when it was meant to be for my neighbour who lives opposite me.
There is always something else new to learn.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Golly - perhaps one of your neighbours will end up receiving your Journal by mistake, Susie! And once they've peeped inside and seen how good it is, they might not want to give it back! :wink:

[Viking Star:] "My copy of the Journal was waiting for me on my return from being away for a few days, so a very nice welcome home!"

Hope you brought back some super disguises in your suitcase, Viking Star!

(Funnily enough, my son's spellings this week included the words "disguise," "discovery," "disappointed" and "disappeared." While testing him on them, I couldn't help thinking of our Find-Outers Readathon!)

Anita

Society Member
Steve Alpe

Post by Steve Alpe »

Our copies arrived during the week - hopefully we will have time to read them over the weekend.

Steve & Sue
Susie

Post by Susie »

I got it today!
There is always something else new to learn.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I've finished reading the Journal and it had me hooked from cover to cover. David Chambers' article on first person narrative in Enid Blyton was absorbing as usual. What a great idea for an article! Did Enid Blyton really re-tell all seven voyages of Sindbad in Tales of the Arabian Nights (1930)? There are only six voyages in Tales of Long Ago (Dean&Son.)

Cliff Watkins' article on Carey Blyton was very informative. I had no idea that Jean Rhys was a Beckenham writer. I recall reading Good Morning Midnight and feeling deliciously depressed! I was surprised to read that "Enid began a course at the Guildhall School of Music in 1916" because I thought that she had turned down her place at the Guildhall in order to train as a teacher in Ipswich. It was fascinating to see the photo of Enid Blyton's birthplace, although I was sorry to learn that the building was bombed in the Second World War and has been rebuilt in a different style. And I hadn't known before that Enid's friend Mary Attenborough had become an artist (Mary Potter.)

I agree with David Cook that the Find-Outers books should be regarded as "period pieces" and I look forward to his appraisal of the rest of the series. Robert Houghton gave a thoughtful analysis of Four in a Family, as did John Lester of In the Fifth at Malory Towers. I enjoyed seeing all the pictures for that, especially the one of a very dignified-looking Miss James and the one of Mam'zelle Dupont with her trick teeth. Terry Gustafson's article was a fun read and I love the photo of Enid Blyton on page 54.

Cheers, Tony, for another top-quality Journal.

Anita

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

A Great Read

Post by Lenoir »

I received my copy of the Journal yesterday. It is in pristine condition (sometimes they get creased).

I spent some time studying Gordon Lupson's article. I have noticed just two of these errors myself. Funnily enough, I noticed the incorrect spelling of Anne's name only last week when I was looking at my oldest E.B. book, a third impression of "Five go adventuring again". It occurs on the fron flap, as the article says. (I had to point that out didn't I, sorry :wink: ).

Lots of variety in this issue. Thanks to all involved.
Tony Summerfield

Re: A Great Read

Post by Tony Summerfield »

lenoir wrote:I spent some time studying Gordon Lupson's article. I have noticed just two of these errors myself. Funnily enough, I noticed the incorrect spelling of Anne's name only last week when I was looking at my oldest E.B. book, a third impression of "Five go adventuring again". It occurs on the fron flap, as the article says. (I had to point that out didn't I, sorry :wink: ).
I am glad to hear that someone is looking at this article - it took me two days to condense 28 pages down into 6!! Looking at the top of page 27, I think he's got his description the wrong way round as it is incorrectly spelt on the 3rd impression. I hope that this is his mistake and not mine or I will be in for a touch of Dame Slap on the phone!! And no, in case you are wondering, he doesn't have a computer so he is not reading this!
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

I read it too, Tony. I am a stickler for things like correct spelling and punctuation, so it was a good read.

As was the whole Journal. Many thanks!
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: A Great Read

Post by Lenoir »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
lenoir wrote:I noticed the incorrect spelling of Anne's name only last week when I was looking at my oldest E.B. book, a third impression of "Five go adventuring again".
Looking at the top of page 27, I think he's got his description the wrong way round as it is incorrectly spelt on the 3rd impression.
That's true, and therefore I have a 4th impression, not a 3rd, (as I originally thought), as mine is dated August 1949.