The latest Journal (No 26)

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

The latest Journal (No 26)

Post by Rob Houghton »

Another brilliant journal arrived through my letter box on Friday, packed with the usual high-quality articles. Of course, my own articles are excluded from this description, and I had TWO in the latest journal, due to what Tony thought would be a journal lacking contributions!! Anita Bensousanne (sorry if I spelled it wrong, Anita) contributed a wonderful short article about her trip to Bourne End, as well as concluding her series on the Mystery Books, which I have found to be of a consistently high standard throughout. I often find myself agreeing with many of Anita's comments, and look forward to reading more articles by her in future journals.

David Cook's articles, too, always give me great pleasure, especially as he is writing about the 'Adventure' series (written before mine but published after). It is always interesting to see what others think of Enids books.

I could go on for ages - because everything in the journal is worth a read and a comment, but I must finish by congratulating Tony on the completion of his FOURTH instalment of his excellent bibliography - and Tony, you simple MUST publish it, so there!! I am sure there will be many people interested in it - escpecially those of us who look fondly upon the 'deans' and glazed board editions of Enids books from our childhood.

I also look forward to buying a copy of the new 'secret Seven' booklet at this years 'Day'. :D
Tony Summerfield

Journal 26

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Thanks Rob, I'm glad you enjoyed it - but let me say something about your articles as modesty prevents you saying so yourself! I have already had a nice comment on Blyton Country. I am not exactly sure, but I believe I have been 'sitting' on this article for nearly three years, waiting for space and an appropriate time to publish it. With Spring in the air, and members poking their heads out from hibernation, I thought a visit to Dorset might be in the minds of some readers and you have nicely gathered together bits and pieces that have been published in earlier Journals that many of our newer readers won't have seen.

Many thanks for the pleasure that you and other contributors bring to our members.

Best wishes
Tony
Alan Blaikley

Society Journal 26

Post by Alan Blaikley »

So agree with all Robert Houghton's comments on the latest Journal, to which his own two articles make such an excellent contribution. Very many happy memories - in my case from rather more than half a century ago - are re-awakened with each new issue. Congratulations and thanks, Tony!

Glad also to have discovered this website.

Best wishes,

Alan Blaikley
Rob Houghton

Journal 26

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks, Tony.

Yes, I think it was about three or even FOUR years since we first visited Dorset and I wrote that article!! Glad its had some good comments. It makes writing articles worthwhile when people say they enjoy them.

Still looking forward to Bib number 4!!

Rob
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Journal 26

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

At the risk of sounding like a mutual appreciation society :lol: , I'd like to say how much I'm enjoying your articles on the "Caravan Family" series, Robert. I only discovered those books as an adult, and was disappointed to find that most of the stories didn't have much of a plot. However, your perceptive comments make me want to read them again.

David Chambers' article on the origin of the Faraway Tree and Wishing-Chair was brilliant - so wide-ranging!

And David Cook's write-up of The Valley of Adventure was also a great read. I was struck by his remarks that the statues stolen from churches "denote a knowledge of European religious customs," and that the theme of Nazis knowing the whereabouts of hidden treasures is "an unusual and remarkably contemporary subject to write about as this was early 1947 only two years after the end of the war, when the world in general was only just becoming aware of wartime atrocities and of the existence of organisations like ODESSA."

I agree that details like this help make The Valley of Adventure one of Blyton's most memorable books. During the Second World War Enid Blyton employed an Austrian maid named Mary Engler, who was a refugee from the Nazi regime. I wonder whether Enid was recalling Mary's tales of her homeland when she wrote The Valley of Adventure? The surname of Otto in the story (the Austrian captive) is Engler.

Anita
Tony Summerfield

Journal 26

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Whilst I was typing out David Cook's article on the Valley of Adventure, I found myself becoming less and less clear as to whether the 'treasure' had been hidden from the Nazis by the locals or stolen by the Nazis and hidden by them. I know I ought to re-read the book and will when time allows, but I thought someone would probably know the answer.

I meant to say in reply to your previous message Rob, that Bib 4 is currently at the printers!

Best wishes
Tony
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Re: Journal 26

[quote="Tony Summerfield"]Whilst I was typing out David Cook's article on the Valley of Adventure, I found myself becoming less and less clear as to whether the 'treasure' had been hidden from the Nazis by the locals or stolen by the Nazis and hidden by them.

In Chapter 22, the old man (I don't think we ever find out his name, though his wife is called Elsa) tells the children that the treasure was stolen from churches and other buildings by the enemy - meaning the Nazis, I presume - and hidden in the mountain caves. Julius Muller got to know about it, and left the old couple to guard the treasures not for the enemy, but for the nation.

Anita
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

New Journal

Post by HeatherS »

Got the new Journal yesterday and had a very big decision to make - continue with my Stoney (which I received last week) or read the journal. The journal won, and I had a very pleasant hour or so of reading. Firstly, Anita - your bio says you're 35 - surely that's not possible!!! You look younger than me, and I'm 26! Also, you look nothing like I had imagined - for some reason you had brown hair in my thoughts. Anyway.....
Other than that, I loved your article. How wonderful to see "Peterswood"! I am unlikely to ever get there (living in Australia), but I can live vicariously through all of you on your trips to Dorset and Bourne End. I also loved the Valley of Adventure article. Congratulations, all for another great issue. Money well spent. Swunderful! Smazing! Swatisaid. :D

HeatherS
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Journal 26

Ha ha - the wrinkles and grey hairs just don't show up from that distance! It's the only time I'm ever likely to see myself on the cover of a magazine, I can tell you! :wink:

Anita
Moonraker

Blyton Country

Post by Moonraker »

I can't see much resemblance to Blue Pool with "Gloomy Water" from Five on a Hike Together. However, in Five Go Off to Camp, there is a "Green Pool" described, so called as 'chemicals in the water make it appear green'. Surely this is a much closer resemblance to Dorset's 'Blue Pool', blue due to the same chemicals in the water?
Last edited by Moonraker on 22 Mar 2005, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Mac99
Favourite book/series: 5 Findouters
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Blyton Country

Post by Mac99 »

moonraker wrote:I can't see much resemblance to Blue Pool with "Gloomy Water" from Five on a Hike Together. However, in Five Go Off to Camp, there is a "Green Pool" described, so called as 'chemicals in the water make it appear green'. Surely this is a much closer resemblance to Dorset's 'Blue Pool', blue due to the same chemicals in the water.
i havent seen the latest edition of the magasine (having subscribed over the last few days), but whilst i had the same thought and think i posted to this effect elsewhere. was fortunate to go go down to the south coast last month and took the opportunity to visit the blue pool and would agree nothing gloomy about it and would be inclined to agree with you except wasnt it five go off in a caravan?

by the way whilst i was out and about on the moors i had the same xperience as dirty dick from five on a hike together ie i found myself with one leg up to my knee in bog...no change of clothes and muddy jeans and boots full of mud, water and moss.

of all the blyton xperiences i wanted not so sure that was one of them

mac
booklover
Favourite book/series: Whyteleafe, Faraway Tree, "Barney" books
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen, Fatty, Barney and Snubby

The latest Journal (No. 26)

Post by booklover »

Hello from Australia. I've just joined the Society and I couldn't believe how quickly the Journal arrived (less than a week from subscribing). Thanks for the super-fast delivery!

I must compliment everyone on the high quality Journal - it was wonderful to read, with great pictures throughout. A high level of re-readability!

In less than 2 minutes the great "where is Peterswood?" mystery that has nagged me for so long was solved. I loved all the articles, especially those on Blyton Country, the character development of the Famous Five, the concluding part on the Barney mysteries, and the review of the Valley of Adventure.

You don't know how lucky you are to live in close proximity to the sites for the Famous Five adventures!

Well done everyone involved in the production of the Journal! Keep up the good work!

:D
Rob Houghton

Gloomy Water

Post by Rob Houghton »

I quite agree with 'moonraker's' comments about 'gloomy water'. Blue pool isnt at all gloomy - its a very plesant place in fact, but it just occured to me when we visited it that its LOCATION and surroundings were very similar to those described by Enid.

It mustnt be assumed that Enid took these locations and transcribed them exactly as she saw them into her books, but that she used them as a starting point and let her imagination do the rest. Theres no telling whether Enid used this location as 'Gloomy water' or not, but the deep pool that exists in Dorset, surrounded by trees, could well have been the inspiration for the fictional pool encountered by the five.
oldBourney

Post by oldBourney »

They have their dreams and do not think of us ....
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Photos of Dorset

Beautiful photos, oldBourney! The sea at Lulworth Cove really does look "as blue as cornflowers."

Anita