The latest Journal (No 26)

What did you think of the latest Journal?
oldBourney

Lulworth is a truly beautiful place

Post by oldBourney »

Kimmeridge too

i remember as a child (probably Dick's age) climbing the cliffs at (memory fades) either Lulworth or Kimmeridge and pulling off a slice of slate from the cliff which had the impression of an Ammonite approx 4" across.

i must visit the village of Tyneham one day. this was an ordinary Dorset village until 1943 when the MOD requisitioned it and forcibly evicted all its residents. it has recently re-opened to the public
They have their dreams and do not think of us ....
Mac99
Favourite book/series: 5 Findouters
Favourite character: Fatty

agree with all comments

Post by Mac99 »

having just become a subscriber and received the latest edition for the first time, i can but agree with all the comments. my only regret is that i was not bright enough to find the society before now.

mac
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Re: New Journal

Post by Keith Robinson »

HeatherS wrote:Got the new Journal yesterday and had a very big decision to make - continue with my Stoney (which I received last week) or read the journal. The journal won...
Ha! Heather, I found you out! You were supposed to be reading and reviewing the Find-Outer books for me a while back, but you got distracted by the Adventure series, and THEN you got distracted by your new Stoney book...and now you're saying you've been distracted again by the Journal! Tsk!

Oh well, I completely understand. I'm halfway through The Sea of Adventure and I'm already thinking about the Barney Mysteries...

Anita, it was really good to see your bit on Bourne End. The funny thing is, I went to Cookham Dean long ago, when I was about 10 or 11, with a friend of mine. We snuck away on the bus to find Peterswood, knowing it was by the River Thames and somewhere between Marlow and Maidenhead. (Back then we didn't have the internet and knew nothing of Enid Blyton living at Old Thatch.) Anyway, we didn't find anything exciting except that it's a nice place.

Years later I drove there with my wife (when I lived 45 mins away in Farnborough, Hampshire) and this time I knew where to look. Yes, I guessed Bourne End was Peterswood too, and for years I've wondered if anyone else thought the same. It seems more obvious now that I've read up on Byton's life and everything, but it's still nice to find out I'm not barking mad. (Well, I might be, but for other reasons.)

Oh...er, great Journal by the way! Since I'm actually posting to this topic, I should mention that it really is a top-notch book, and VERY interesting. The cover, showing Old Thatch, really made me pine for "the good old days of picturesque English villages in the forties" (well before my time, I might add).
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by HeatherS »

Keith,

It was only an hour!!!!! (Indignant look) The Find-Outers aren't going anywhere! Neither are the Adventure books for that matter......

It's OK - I know you were just kidding. I'll forgive you this time. I do get distracted easily.

But YOU obviously stopped reading Valley of Adventure to get to the Journal.... So Tsk yourself! :lol:
Raci

Post by Raci »

:D I've got my copy now! :D

Read it and enjoyed it so much I had to order some back issues to get earlier parts to articles! :lol:

Its really great to hear other peoples opinions, everyone notices extra little things. And articles on such a wide range of books and other things of interest - I would highly recomend it! :D
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Journal 26

Post by pete9012S »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Thanks Rob, I'm glad you enjoyed it - but let me say something about your articles as modesty prevents you saying so yourself! I have already had a nice comment on Blyton Country. I am not exactly sure, but I believe I have been 'sitting' on this article for nearly three years, waiting for space and an appropriate time to publish it. With Spring in the air, and members poking their heads out from hibernation, I thought a visit to Dorset might be in the minds of some readers and you have nicely gathered together bits and pieces that have been published in earlier Journals that many of our newer readers won't have seen.

Many thanks for the pleasure that you and other contributors bring to our members.

Best wishes
Tony
After just finishing Viv's book on Dorset I simply must now dig out Rob's article from my shoe-box storage system and read that too!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Journal 26

Post by Rob Houghton »

That was very nice of Tony, wasn't it? And so very true! (he said modestly without a hint of a blush) :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

Hope you enjoy my Blyton Country article, Pete! :D It probably doesn't tell you anything new though, after all this time. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: The latest Journal (No 26)

Post by pete9012S »

It was a great follow on from Viv's book! And right after your article there was an advert for one of Viv's Dorset Enid Blyton themed guided tours - wish I could have gone on one of those!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member