Exhilarating Exploits

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
tix

Exhilarating Exploits

Post by tix »

The Smugs selection of novels might well be looked upon as being the most adult of Enid Blyton's repertoire.

Originating from about the most ideal EB period centering round the late Forties and early Fifties, the tales treat us to a host of far-flung and exotic settings including such territory as Austria, Scotland, and Wales; not to mention a Ruritanian country possibly positioned in the Middle East (Tauri-Hessia).

'Sea of Adventure' apparently took the children to scattered islands north of Britain and the very first of the series (for argument's sake) may have been set in the Lundy area

Where else?

There was also a trip to the environs of Syria, and on a planned cruise they were supposed to have taken in such places as Portugal, Morocco, and Spain; however, being of an adventurous nature the kids ended up searching for treasure on an island known as 'Thamis.'

As established, the Mannerings and Trents are well-travelled and readers get to know the characters quite intimately. One can also choose one's favourites; perhaps Philip - that incredible tamer of monkeys, bears, ferocious dogs and goodness-knows what else, although whether he's more capable than Jack of relating to birds is anyone's guess. Maybe Dinah is favoured for her tempestuous nature. or Lucy-Ann for her mild manner.

Numerous illustrations add to the overall enjoyment by portraying varied situations such as Juan and Pepi's futile attempts to reach the children's waterfall hideout. There's also a cosy portrayal featuring Jack, Lucy-Ann, Dinah and Philip in a cave with the guardians of a treasure trove (Valley).

Movies have emerged of course but whether they reflect the narratives in a favourable manner is up to the individual.

A personal preference is hard to determine although 'Valley' may have a slight edge.
Stephen

Re: Exhilarating Exploits

Post by Stephen »

I think I was a mere eight years old. Up until then, my Blyton experience consisted of the Wishing Chair, Mister Meddle...and Noddy...

And then I read a book called The Valley of Adventure.

While I couldn't follow all the references, it was great fun. And thinking back, it was hard to imagine that this was written by the same author!
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

My experience is very similar, as my initial Blyton reading consisted of Brer Rabbit and Noddy, but then at about the age of eight I read "The Mystery of the Invisible Thief" and while like Stephen I was unable to follow all the references and found some aspects confusing and difficult to understand, I felt very "grown up" and became a Five Find-Outers 'fan for life!!!
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

My own reading history is also similar. After the Ladybird Classic stories I picked up the Purnell Sunshine Library books. I then went straight to The Sea of Adventure, was hooked immediately, and continued rather oddly with Valley, Castle and Island before righting myself and reading the last four in their proper order. Before picking up the last four however I had been persuaded by my Mum to try the Famous Five and had also fallen in love with the world of Kirri. Five on a Treasure Island still thrills me every time I pick it up.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member