Purnell Sunshine Library

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Re: Purnell Sunshine Library

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Courtenay wrote: 06 Dec 2022, 16:09 "The Golliwog who Smoked" is less admirable, but the story does at least have an anti-smoking message, at least for children!! :shock: (I have a feeling it suggests that smoking is OK for grown-ups, but I can't quite remember. Regardless, I'm pretty sure it's a story that wouldn't be reprinted at all these days, even if they substituted a less controversial character for the golliwog.)

"The Toys Go on Strike" is Enid being surprisingly left-wing and is the story from which I first learned the meaning of "going on strike", which she explains in simple terms for her readers.
I've read The Golliwogg who smoked to hundreds of adults. Most expected to be horrified, but as it was, most laughed out loud and then agreed that it was a morally sound story. 8)

I had a disastrous train trip to London last week. Not only was there frozen points and a broken train ahead, but there was a bridge-strike.

Ah well - everything else is on strike :evil:
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Sorry to hear that Viv - I hope it hasn't put you off your suitcase train.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 22:09
I had a disastrous train trip to London last week. Not only was there frozen points and a broken train ahead, but there was a bridge-strike.

Ah well - everything else is on strike :evil:
:lol:

That made me think of the Three Billy Goats Gruff and the Troll saying they couldn't go over his bridge! :wink:
Society Member