Which Book, Which Series

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Re: Which Book, Which Series

Post by IceMaiden »

I have to go with the one that I first read as a child myself, The Wishing Chair. Although it's only two books rather than a series it's absorbing, enthralling, exciting and enjoyable enough to get you hooked on the author and then eagerly go looking for other titles. It did me. After reading the Wishing Chair it really wouldn't have matter which book from which series or which order, if it said 'Enid Blyton' on the cover I would pounce on it in delight. My next two books were FFs as it happens but not the first one. They were Hike and Caravan, which I loved, but being paperbacks there were no illustrations to add to the story. Then my dad realising what I was reading, introduced me to his childhood red hardbacks with their glorious illustrations and well I've read each book over twenty times so far. It's safe to say they went down well!
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I agree about it depending on the age of the child, the Faraway Tree and Wishing Chair books make more sense if read in order, and possibly the first couple of Noddy books, although saying that, I think the first Noddy book I ever read was the 5th one, and it didn't stop me enjoying it, and buying another one (number 8 I think).

Some series I think it's more important than others. The school stories are probably best read in chronological order to see how the personalities of some of the characters develop.

I think the FF series is best if the first 3 books are read in order, just to get the feel of the children's personalities, but after that, it probably doesn't matter too much, except perhaps the ones which include Jo and Tinker - it's makes sense to at least read them in the right order.

The SS I feel have a standalone feel to them, so could be read in any order.

Although Valley of Adventure is probably my favourite of the series, I feel it makes more sense to at least read the Island of Adventure first, as I think if someone reads a later book first, then it spoils half the plot in the first book if they already know who Bill Smugs is.

I don't know about the FFO series, I only read one (Vanished Prince) as a child, and couldn't really take to the series - I think I definitely had a feeling that I'd walked in half way through a conversation - I do wonder if I'd have enjoyed the stories more if I'd at least read the first one to start with.

Perhaps the one series I think where it might be best to avoid reading the first book is the Secret Island. It's one of my favourite books, but I've never really felt it fits in with the rest of the series, and almost feel the rest of the stories are a disappointment, which they aren't really, but they are just so different to the atmosphere of the first book. I think perhaps Spiggy Holes is a better start for that series, and to treat 'Island' as a one-off book.

Probably the most important aspect to consider is the age and personality of the child. No point recommended the Faraway Tree or Secret Seven to someone who loves thrilling adventures, nor is the Adventure series a good suggestion for someone easily frightened. :)
Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

I absolutely feel that age does not matter at all with our dear Enid Blyton books.Even as grandparents we can enjoy the books reclining in an armchair, or lying in bed.In fact I enjoy the books now at the age of 68+ much more than when I was eight years old. -- though then too it was so thrilling to look forward to an evening with the SS or FF or any of the others.The very signature of Enid Blyton's created such a flutter in my heart-- when I would choose Blyton books from our small school library more than half a century ago.