Famous Five top the polls

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Famous Five top the polls

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I don't have copies, sadly, but it would be interesting to know if anyone does.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

Apparently there was no ban in 1927 when the BBC broadcast 'The Magic Broom'.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/e213ba5e868 ... ab29703da3
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

I have hard copies of all the BBC site letters. BUT my whole Blyton collection, including all my letters, are in storage at the moment as I recently sold my house & can't move into my new one for a couple of months. As soon as I can get my collection out again I will load the BBC site letters on here. Thank goodness I printed them, just so it was easy for me to read them, I certainly didn't think they would be removed from their site.
I must admit I am struggling being separated from my books, but it will be fun re-sorting/displaying them again, in my new office/library room.

cheers Sue
Society Member
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Post by Jomo »

Aussie Sue wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 01:43 I have hard copies of all the BBC site letters…
Good work Sue!!!!
I guess we can’t take it for granted that anything on the web is permanent, even those marked as a permalink. I looked on the wayback machine at archive.org, but there was no sign of the letters.

I am very glad you had the foresight to save and print them. Champ!

I did find this program about the letters - first broadcast in 2010, still available online. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p00mczm2
Last edited by Jomo on 10 Mar 2022, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Splodj wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 22:04 Apparently there was no ban in 1927 when the BBC broadcast 'The Magic Broom'…
No, the ban came later, in the 30’s, when Enid enquired about some of her material being used in educational programs that were aimed at younger listeners.
The ban was all about the ego, entitlement and envy of Miss Jean Sutcliffe. Her campaign against Enid was disgraceful.
:evil:
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Splodj wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 22:04 Apparently there was no ban in 1927 when the BBC broadcast 'The Magic Broom'.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/e213ba5e868 ... ab29703da3
Yes, Enid Blyton had a number of stories and poems broadcast in the 1920s. As Jomo says, the anti-Blyton feeling came later.

Jomo wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 07:27
I did find this program about the letters - first broadcast in 2010, still available online. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p00mczm2
I can't remember whether I've ever listened to that - I'll have to give it a go in the near future.

I have listened to the following audio clips which can still be accessed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/enid-blyton/zfn2cqt

Aussie Sue wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 01:43 I have hard copies of all the BBC site letters. BUT my whole Blyton collection, including all my letters, are in storage at the moment as I recently sold my house & can't move into my new one for a couple of months. As soon as I can get my collection out again I will load the BBC site letters on here. Thank goodness I printed them, just so it was easy for me to read them, I certainly didn't think they would be removed from their site.
I must admit I am struggling being separated from my books, but it will be fun re-sorting/displaying them again, in my new office/library room.
It's great to hear that you made copies of the letters, Sue, and it would be brilliant to have them on the website whenever time allows. Good luck with the move! Moving house involves a lot of work but, as you say, arranging your books in your new place will be fun. :D

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Well done, Sue!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 14:13

I have tried to access all of these clips both audio and video, but none of them are available in my location - I suspect they are restricted to the UK, or perhaps the UK plus Europe, all other regions would be potential markets for BBC content, so no freebies allowed as a blanket policy. :(
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

There is this ‘Great Lives’ interview with Janice Turner and Nadia Cohen which is available, a really unpleasant one though it starts off nicely.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000cmrz
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Ah yes - I've heard that clip before. It trots out the usual rubbish about Enid Blyton's leading characters being "always white and middle class" and about her gollies being "always villains and criminals".

Those of us who have been reading Enid Blyton all our lives will immediately think of leading characters who aren't middle class such as Jack of the Secret series, homeless boy Barney, Mr. and Mrs. Twiddle, the children who climb the Faraway Tree (Jo, Bessie and Fanny), Jimmy and Lotta and various other circus people. And Enid Blyton was living in a society that was predominantly white so it's not surprising that her main characters tend to be white (the same would apply to most other British authors of her era) but she does have a handful of non-white characters who play a significant part - e.g. Mafumu in The Secret Mountain, Oola and Tala in The River of Adventure, Jo-Jo in The Island of Adventure and Sam in The Mountain of Adventure.

As for gollies, there are numerous gollies in the short story collections, Amelia Jane, Noddy, the Faraway Tree series, etc. who are wise, kind, honest, brave, resourceful and looked up to as leaders.

Oh, and Enid Blyton is far, far more than "a humongous global reading scheme for the world's children"!

Jomo wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 02:07
Anita Bensoussane wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 14:13

I have tried to access all of these clips both audio and video, but none of them are available in my location...
Sorry you can't access them, Jomo.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Anita wrote:
Jomo wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 07:27
I can't remember whether I've ever listened to that - I'll have to give it a go in the near future.
I've now listened to this clip and it is familiar to me. It's hard to believe that anyone could describe the dialogue in Enid Blyton's books as "stilted". Lively, natural-sounding dialogue is one of Enid's great strengths!

Society Member