Facsimile Famous Fives

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Re: Facsimile Famous Fives

Post by Jomo »

Love the slideshow Pete! Thanks :) 8)
Judith Crabb wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 07:55 the text is 'unedited and unchanged from its first edition'. It is not an upmarket edition. The original illustrations on glossy paper are included before the title page and only the front panel of the dust-jacket of the first edition is reproduced. It's not bad if you simply want an unchanged text but I'm more demanding - I want a dust-jacket in facsimile too.
Yes Judith! :) That’s what I’m talking about. Cloth boards, text, illustrations, dust-jacket and all, just as bought new when the first edition was published. And an extra volume with other Eileen Soper illustrations and any other relevant material. <3

Let’s gang up on Hatchet and see if we can get a response: Write an article calling for the facsimile edition, tweet, post, email, even a good old fashioned letter (in beautiful handwriting). When I worked in government policy the department knew they had an issue if they received about six clearly original letters on a topic. It would probably take multiples of that to wake up a commercial entity, but I reckon it’s worth a try. :wink:
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, great, Pete.

Note to Admin: I clicked on what I thought was quote to view Pete's BBCode - but in error clicked on the ! which is "Report this post". If my 'report' went through, please ignore it. I wouldn't like to join the group of people that overly criticise and report posts on this forum!
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Phew!

:D :D :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

Pete, that slideshow was a mouth-watering treat. (Is it possible that I was a silverfish in a previous life, and became human to punish me for my sins? I do wonder.) And Jomo, letters sound great. But 'handwritten', oh dear. I was no gifted calligrapher in my youth but now ....
Society Member
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Post by Jomo »

Judith Crabb wrote: 04 Feb 2022, 23:07 'handwritten', oh dear. I was no gifted calligrapher in my youth but now ....
My authentic handwriting has been likened to the product of a drunken spider with an inky bum crawling all over the page.
I have since then learned a little calligraphy and have developed a reasonably legible printed handwriting.
I will use my best ‘hand’ when writing the physical letter to Hachette.

Now, who is the current head of children’s literature at Hachette’s head office? That’s the one I need to aim my letter at.
I have some searches to do.
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years