Noddy at Waynford Press

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Noddy at Waynford Press

Post by Judith Crabb »

I notice that the title page of my 'Noddy goes to School' has, after the commonly seen 'Sampson Low, Marston & Co., Ltd.', the words
AND Waynford Press, Ltd.
Has a Noddy collector any clues about what this means. Could it be a First Edition?
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: Noddy at Waynford Press

Post by Boatbuilder »

I would think the latter is the printer of the book, Judith.

Here are a couple more:

https://www.stellabooks.com/publisher/w ... -press-ltd
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Judith Crabb wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 07:34 I notice that the title page of my 'Noddy goes to School' has, after the commonly seen 'Sampson Low, Marston & Co., Ltd.', the words
AND Waynford Press, Ltd.
Has a Noddy collector any clues about what this means. Could it be a First Edition?

Here is some general info on identifying a true first edition of this title Judith.

Regards
Pete
Is your Noddy Book a first edition?

How can you tell if your Noddy book is a first edition? It’s no easy task but there are a few things you can try. Most importantly always look for books that are complete with their dust jackets. Having the dust jacket will allow you to check other titles listed (if any). If later titles from the series are shown, the book you are holding is not a first edition.

The following notes should be helpful but please don’t spend large amounts of money on Noddy books without first conducting your own research.
Book 6: Noddy Goes to School; Published 1952

Undated, rounded spine and should include the full Sampson Low Marston & Co Ltd address,25 Gilbert Street,LondonW1 on the title page. This was the same for all editions up to the end of 1952. It should have a dust jacket which shows ‘The Children’s Library’ on the back flap. Original price 3s 6d net on front turn in. Illustrations by Harmsen Van der Beek.

Source; Enid Blyton illustrated bibliography Parts 1, 2 and 3 by Tony Summerfield.
Via The Enid Blyton Society
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

Thanks for both replies. When I read yours, Boatbuilder, I immediately thought 'of course' as you do when something seems suddenly obvious, but when I had a look at the book the imprint opposite the title reads 'made and printed in Great Britain by Purnell and Sons, Ltd.' Thanks for the link to the other two 'Waynford Press' titles. Both Noddy books I notice, both late 1950s. (Maybe Noddy was intending to apprentice himself to a publisher.)
Great information about edition from Tony's Bibliography, Pete. Early though it looks, my 'Noddy goes to School' is not a first as it does not have the full Sampson address on the title page, but does have the Waynford Press addition.
Society Member
Anjalli
Favourite book/series: Find Outers, Famous Five, Secret, Adventure series
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack, George, Barney, Darrell, Bets, Dinah.

Post by Anjalli »

I have never read any Noddy books and don't know if I should now....
The Chief looked at Fatty. "Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare," he said, "but generosity crowns everything, Frederick. One of these days I'll be proud of you!" - "Vanished Prince".
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

We can't answer that question für you, Anjalli. There are people who like them, and people who don't like them.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Anjalli wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 00:07 I have never read any Noddy books and don't know if I should now....
Personally I really like the Noddy books, but as Wolfgang says, many people don't like them. I would say it depends on whether you enjoy books written for much younger children.

Maybe you could pick up a really cheap one from somewhere? That way if you don't like it you can give it away without having wasted too much money? :D
Society Member
Anjalli

Post by Anjalli »

Gm thanks Katharine that's a very good suggestion and I will get one book and try it.👍
The Chief looked at Fatty. "Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare," he said, "but generosity crowns everything, Frederick. One of these days I'll be proud of you!" - "Vanished Prince".
Anjalli

Post by Anjalli »

Wolfgang wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 04:32 We can't answer that question für you, Anjalli. There are people who like them, and people who don't like them.
Gm true true😁
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anjalli wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 09:53 Gm thanks Katharine that's a very good suggestion and I will get one book and try it.👍
I think that's a very good suggestion too, Anjalli! :D If you can, I'd recommend getting one of the original 24 Noddy books — you can see them all here in the Cave of Books — as they have the longest and most interesting stories. They're written for a very young audience, of course, but in my opinion at least, they're charming and lots of fun and sometimes surprisingly moving. But as you can probably guess, I've been a Noddy fan all my life (the same goes for all my family, including my parents) and I don't mind who knows it! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)