Five Have a Mystery to Solve

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Five Have A Mystery To Solve

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks for clearing that up, timv - yes, that's clearer in my mind now! :-D

The Blue Pool is also surely the inspiration for 'Gloomy Water' in Five On A Hike Together - at least, the situation of Blue Pool, as its surrounded by trees just like Gloomy Water is. Mention is also made in 'Hike' of 'Blue Pond farm' so the Dorset links are definitely strong in the series! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

The Blue Pool tea rooms were built and opened in 1935. They were a popular tourist destination by the time Enid first visited the Purbecks, so it wouldn't be a surprise if she did visit Blue Pool at some stage during one of her early holidays in Dorset! :D

A photo of Blue Pool that I took a few years ago (posted before!).
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Pretty much how I've always imagined Gloomy Water.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

thanks for reposting the photo! Yes - its definitely how I imagine 'Gloomy Water' - except maybe a bit more gloomy and less blue! But the trees around it etc are very much like the pool described by Enid in Hike. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

The colour of the pool changes with the weather. If it's overcast, then it looks dull. If it's sunny, as in the above pic, then it looks blue (turquoise). It is the light reflecting off the clay particles in the water that gives it the distinct change in colour, or something like that. I tend to forget now. A Senior moment, I suppose! :roll:
Last edited by number 6 on 26 Apr 2019, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
timv

Post by timv »

One interesting note is that in Get Into Trouble, when Richard Kent catches the Five camping on/near his family's land at the Green Pool they explain that they didn't know it was private as there were no signs up. This was also the situation at the GP in the 1940s, and the owners, the Barnards - who lived nearby at Furzebrook House - ended up putting up a fence round the site so nobody could trespass and all visitors had to pay to get in. This was duly resented by the locals who complained that access had been free and open for many years; there is a good piece of level ground on Norden Heath next to the the ridges and thick pine trees immediately around the pool which is still open so possibly Enid was thinking of this as the children's campsite. It is around 10 minutes walk from here to Creech Corner to the S - a possible inspiration for 'Cokers Corner' in the book?

The BP site was originally part of the nearby Furzebrook claypits property owned by the Pike Brothers who built the Western 'railway' / tramway line across Stoborough Heath to Ridge village and the River Frome jetty there. It was originally a Victorian claypit on open heath, and the pine trees were planted later

As the owners of the Blue Pool site were the Barnards from 1935, perhaps this explains where Enid got the name 'Barnard' which she later gave to Julian and co's mother (in a presumed slip ) in a later FF book? Was she thinking of the Blue Pool family at the time of doing her writing and got muddled?
Society Member
Nick

Five Have a Mystery to Solve

Post by Nick »

Merged with an older topic.

I've just picked up FHAMTS for the first time in years and even though I can recall thinking that it was one of the weaker, most forgettable entries into the series, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Wilfred and Lucas are both interesting characters, the early chapters remind me of a slow, pleasant, stroll through familiar territory and the adventure isn't that bad.

Anyway, to the point of the post. In my current copy cost of boat hire is given as £15 a week and I was wondering how much it was in some of their earlier versions? As a child I had the 78/79 TV cover edition and I'm sure it was £1!
Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Five Have a Mystery to Solve

Post by Barnard »

In my 1970s paperback the boat hire cost was 50p per hour, £1.00 per day or £3.00 per week.
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

1962 hodder and stoughton. five bob an hour, ten bob a day or a pound for a week
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
dsr

Post by dsr »

I believe the 1764 edition has a farthing, a ha'penny and a groat. :wink:
DSR
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

:D :D :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Unlike Malcolm Saville's books, I prefer Enid's books to be imaginary settings. The thought of Whispering Island being Brownsea Island (which I know very well) spoils it.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Yes and the way they compare it to Sydney Harbour makes it sound like something out of "Fawlty Towers"!
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

The book had a few what the heck moments for me when I read it when young, but I still enjoyed it.

This was the very last Famous Five book I ever read, so that makes it special too.
I think after reading this book I emulated the Five's love of sausages and freshly made cream cakes from the bakery.
My mum worked in a village bakery at this point so strawberry tarts, meringues, trifles and sponge cakes all went down a treat whilst reading the book!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Nick

Post by Nick »

pete9012S wrote: 25 May 2021, 18:44 The book had a few what the heck moments for me when I read it when young, but I still enjoyed it.
I must admit that I had one of those yesterday. Wilfred has just arrived on the island and tells Julian, Dick, George and Anne about how the boat boy wasn't happy that the Adventurer had been found adrift! Absolutely no concern that 4 children and a dog might have drowned just that his boat may have been lost :D
Society Member