Famous Five Unfamiliar Cover?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Re: Famous Five Unfamiliar Cover?

Post by Nick »

Am I alone in thinking that the artist is paying homage to previous cover art?
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Good point Nick -
IceMaiden wrote: 28 May 2021, 18:24 These are extremely nice illustrations..
I agree, IceMaiden. I thought Tony would already know all about them.

One thought I had was whether the artwork was intended/created to download the books electronically, but that is only a guess??
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I spent some time looking at various websites this morning and I do now have all seven images on my system (Adventuring Again has two different covers). I can't remember which one, but one of the websites I looked at this morning (possibly Book Depository) which actually sells these books said that they were only available for export - I am pretty sure for copyright reasons that it it would be illegal to sell them in this country - but I don't think the seller who has them at £40 each needs to worry about the legality. :lol:

Like others I would love to know who illustrated them and it may well be on the back cover or even inside, so if any of our members with deep pockets get hold of them I would like to know the answer.
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Courtenay wrote: 28 May 2021, 18:34
Totally agree with you, IceMaiden! Those covers are just beautiful — they look pretty much right for the period that the books were written in, but they're also fresh-looking and I think they'd intrigue younger readers as well. There are plenty of children's books with a historical period setting and most of them don't get garish cartoony-looking covers that don't fit the tone of the story. So why should that keep happening with Enid's books?
Exactly Courtenay, you don't get books on the Tudors with Henry's six wives looking like they were drawn by 6 year olds with no concept yet of body proportions, or Beatrix Potter stories done with badly drawn animals that look nothing like what the books portray. I don't know about anyone else but to me those awful covers are a slap in the face to the author and given the downer most have on Enid Blyton I honestly believe they're done on purpose to ridicule her, basically saying her stories are silly nonsense for 3-5 year olds :evil yellow blob:(still can't find them).
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Fiona1986 wrote: 28 May 2021, 14:46 Have these maybe been published abroad, then, where the books (but perhaps not her signature) are out of copyright?

Edit: No, Arcturus are based in London. But the books appear in their Spring 2020 Catalogue... https://arcturus.egnyte.com/dl/1jyft5ad5p/?

Three more in the autumn 2020 catalogue https://arcturus.egnyte.com/dl/iN5FlZVwMj/?
I also found those catalogues online and noticed that the Famous Five books are labelled "EXPORT ONLY" so I presume they're only being shipped to countries where Enid Blyton (though probably not her signature, as you say) is out of copyright.

IceMaiden wrote: 28 May 2021, 21:05...evil yellow blob:(still can't find them).
To get features like emoticons, italics, etc. you need to click on "Full Editor & Preview" (below the "Quick Reply" box).

Alternatively, you can click on "Post Reply" (at the bottom left below the "Quick Reply" box).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

IceMaiden wrote: 28 May 2021, 21:05 Exactly Courtenay, you don't get books on the Tudors with Henry's six wives looking like they were drawn by 6 year olds with no concept yet of body proportions...
Now there's an image that's going to stay with me all night, thanks :shock: :P
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

The seven Arcturus illustrations are now all safely in the Cave. The cover illustrator will be added when and if someone finds out who they are!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Those Famous Five books are at least attractive - or the covers are, anyway! I've just come across a horror on Canadian Amazon - The Mystery of the [sic] Banshee Towers with an absolutely dreadful cover which appears to have been cobbled together by someone at home. It's dated April 27 2021 and is described as 'Independently published'. I was astounded to find that the person has had the cheek to use the 'Brief Summary' that Julie Heginbotham wrote for our website as their 'blurb' on the back of the book (see second image in link below). Enid Blyton's text may be out of copyright in some countries but that doesn't mean people are permitted to swipe summaries from websites and use them in or on their books!

Incidentally, the 'Look Inside' feature shows that the story is printed very strangely, in thin columns. Ironically, each page is labelled 'Copyrighted Material'!

I haven't time to check but it's possible that other Find-Outers titles have been given the same treatment - and perhaps other series too!

https://www.amazon.ca/Mystery-Banshee-T ... oks&sr=1-7
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

That's dreadful Anita. I see that they have at least credited Julie with her words but without her permission that is virtually meaningless. And that cover illustration has absolutely noting to do with the plot as far as I can see. :cry:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Stock photo alert!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The caravan is so close to the lake, Nobby wouldn't need to wave a red shirt(?) warning! Thanks, but no thanks.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

ImageImage

It is close. Also, is that water deep enough for a mighty leap from the bank!

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

GloomyGraham wrote: 28 May 2021, 12:30 I found another few covers on the web while googling 'arcturus blyton'

I did like some of the new summary of the caravan book though:

In book five, the Famous Five go on a caravan holiday together. When they stumble across a circus troupe, the gang are thrilled. But some of the circus people have more sinister plans than just clowning around... Fantastic new cover art will draw young readers into this accessible timeless classic.
If I am not mistaken, the above quote is taken from the official site:

https://www.hachettechildrens.co.uk/tit ... 444922998/

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Don’t they spend a night (or at least an afternoon) by the lake when they first arrive, before moving up to the hills?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Oh, I thought Nigel was referring to the caravan being parked far too close to the lake before they were moved on - on a slope without even a brick behind the wheels?

Society Member