Famous Five Unfamiliar Cover?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Famous Five Unfamiliar Cover?

Post by pete9012S »

Haven't come across this cover before have you?
It's better than some of the matchstick man figures of late in my humble opinion.
Five on a Treasure Island by Enid Blyton (Paperback, 2020)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313532913234 ... ondition=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.brownsbfs.co.uk/Product/Bly ... 1838579753#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few more covers I have not seen before:

ImageImageImage
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Famous Five Unfamiliar Cover?

Post by Barnard »

The ‘matchstick’ covers are dreadful. The characters should look like human beings.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I haven't seen those covers before either, Pete, but I do like them. A welcome return to sensibility.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Those are quite nice! It has been good to see the publishers returning to a more traditional style (like the Ruth Palmer Malory Towers and St Clare's covers) recently.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Yes I really like those covers Pete. As John Pickup and Fiona said it seems to represent a welcome return to a more traditional type of illustration. The Treasure Island one has definitely been influenced by the beautiful original; the Adventuring Again cover is lovely and it's nice to see a scene taken directly from the text.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I agree that it's good to see the children looking like proper children instead of matchstick figures - and dressed appropriately for the era too.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

There is something very wrong here, these cannot possibly be official Enid Blyton books as they don't have the Enid Blyton logo for the signature. If you check the link above that Pete has given for eBay, the seller Birchwood is offering a number of Blyton paperbacks (as well as a Bruno Vincent!) all at £40 with £5 postage for good measure. :roll:

I have checked out the Arcturus website and I cannot find any Blyton books on it - mystery!
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

I see that the version of Five On A Treasure Island in Pete's link was published on 3rd April 2020. It didn't occur to me that Enid's logo was missing. Indeed, a mystery.
Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

These covers do look nice and looked like the artist had read the books and used scenes from them.

But then, being pedantic, I noticed 'Kirrin Island Again' and the telescope used by the Five to look at the island should have been a fixed one (at the Coast Guard's). Also is Dick signalling with a mirror? (which didn't happen in the book).

And because the image is so small I can't tell if Uncle's tower is on the island.
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

I found another few covers on the web while googling 'arcturus blyton'

I did like some of the new summary of the caravan book though:

In book five, the Famous Five go on a caravan holiday together. When they stumble across a circus troupe, the gang are thrilled. But some of the circus people have more sinister plans than just clowning around... Fantastic new cover art will draw young readers into this accessible timeless classic.

Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Have these maybe been published abroad, then, where the books (but perhaps not her signature) are out of copyright?

Edit: No, Arcturus are based in London. But the books appear in their Spring 2020 Catalogue... https://arcturus.egnyte.com/dl/1jyft5ad5p/?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Three more in the autumn 2020 catalogue https://arcturus.egnyte.com/dl/iN5FlZVwMj/?

Nothing for spring or autumn 2021 though, so it looks like they only did the first 6 books.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

I wouldn't buy them as I have the original text in my hardback copies but I would love the covers. They would enhance my small library and no mistake.
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

These are extremely nice illustrations, I'd say easily the best of all the modern ones by a long long way. Whoever has made those has done a good job, they actually look like they've been done by someone who read the books properly and put some genuine thought and effort into the task. They look like they've been designed by a fan not just someone who did the job and got paid with no care whatsoever into what they produced. If I wanted modern copies I would buy these.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Totally agree with you, IceMaiden! Those covers are just beautiful — they look pretty much right for the period that the books were written in, but they're also fresh-looking and I think they'd intrigue younger readers as well. There are plenty of children's books with a historical period setting and most of them don't get garish cartoony-looking covers that don't fit the tone of the story. So why should that keep happening with Enid's books?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)