Food in Blyton

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Hannah

Re: Food in Blyton

Post by Hannah »

Do you mean this recipe for a cherry cake, kirstleecurry?
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I thought the old menu that was discovered was fascinating. I love glimpses of the history of ordinary people.

The cook book looks interesting, although I can't imagine any of Enid Blyton's characters eating dishes such as garlic mushrooms on toast (although they sound delicious).
Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

Like Kirstleecurry I enjoy eating crisps. Although Enid Blyton’s characters don’t seem to eat them they were available during the 1940s. Probably, in those days, only ready salted were sold but it is much better now with the wide variety of flavours. I liked the salt and vinegar ones when they were called ‘salt and lineker’ and was surprised we didn’t get ‘smoky Beckham’ flavour as well.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Barnard, my brother and I used to like 'salt and shake' crisps.
You're probably far too young to remember them!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Which you can still buy..

https://groceries.morrisons.com/product ... -112863011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Barnard

Post by Barnard »

Yes, I remember salt and shake from when I was young. If the bag got a bit damp the salt was in a solid lump.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Yes! And sometimes you didn't need all the salt!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Boatbuilder wrote:This may not be the right place for this but as it's to do with food from when Enid (Blyton, not my wife :D ) was about 15, I thought I would post it here. I came across it on the BBC the other day.

A shilling (1/-) or 5p today, in 1913 would be worth about £5.75 now.

Liverpool café finds menu from 1913 during refurb
That's fascinating, John! I'm not even sure what some of the dishes are, especially the ones with French names. On the other hand, cold tongue and ham sounds very Blytonesque!! :P
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

As a child reader, I loved the expression 'Google buns'. Who would have thought that decades later, Google would be one of the most used proper nouns in the world?

I seem to remember slightly recoiling in horror when I first realised that the food 'Tongue' referenced in Enid Blyton and other books was in fact - well the clue's in the name!
kirstleecurry
Favourite book/series: Five FindOuters
Favourite character: Fatty and Mr Goon

Post by kirstleecurry »

Stephen... I feel your pain! I actually liked tongue as a child, before I realised that it actually was... you know... TONGUE! I remember seeing it in a butchers once and being totally horrified!

The Cherry Cake recipe is the one I was thinking of, so now have NO excuse not to bake it!!!

And while it's a cheat maybe, considering my Eating With Enid plan...my colleagues wife is a SUPERB baker and she has just made me the most amazing gingerbread loaf, complete with sticky topping and crystallised ginger! It's proper Enid food! (Would love to share a pic, but again... no idea how!) You'll just have to trust that it's simply smashing!!!

As an aside! I have no idea how to respond to individuals here as this is mostly on my mobile!
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

I recall that in the Adventurous Four stories one of the boys was a big fan of sausages but they took tinned sausages on their trips.

The only tinned sausages I've ever seen are the Plumrose sausages (either cocktail or hot-dog sized) so I presume the Four were eating frankfurts rather than true sausages.

Some of those menus in the modern Blyton cookbook sound a far cry from the meals mentioned in the books. Not sure how they would have made macaroons on the Secret Island.

As far as the food mentioned in the books, sardines were eaten far too often for my liking lol
black labrador
Favourite book/series: Advenure and Mystery Series
Favourite character: Fatty, Lucy-Ann, Elizabeth Allen

Post by black labrador »

What strikes me about food in Blyton books is the sheer volume. Three or four meals a day, cooked breakfasts, 2 or 3 course lunches, teas and dinners, and plenty of snacks and ice creams.

In the Mystery of the Strange Bundle, Fatty has porridge followed by sausages and toast for breakfast, a 3 course lunch consisting of soup and toast, chicken and vegetables, and stewed apple and rice pudding, a tea of hot chocolate, cakes and macaroons and presumably dinner with his parents. It would be interesting to see this diet analysed in terms of calories, fat and sugar.

The children do seem to do a fair amount of walking and cycling, but little organised sport during the holidays.
It is amazing they weren't all as big as Fatty!
black labrador
Favourite book/series: Advenure and Mystery Series
Favourite character: Fatty, Lucy-Ann, Elizabeth Allen

Post by black labrador »

One other point - several books refer to 'potted meat' sandwiches. Is this tinned ham/corned beef or some form of preserved meat?
Barnard

Post by Barnard »

I think Fatty actually refused the pudding of stewed apples and rice. He said to Bets, “what a pudding to give an invalid. I shan’t have any.”
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

black labrador wrote:One other point - several books refer to 'potted meat' sandwiches. Is this tinned ham/corned beef or some form of preserved meat?
Maybe you'd like to look in this thread, there's some information on potted meat.
Society Member