Going to school together

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Going to school together

Post by pete9012S »

I could be wrong here, but did the Find Outers generally suffer from less illnesses than the characters in Enid's other series of books?

I don't seem to recall them venturing far from Peterswood, except on their bikes and the bus.
I think Fatty went on some foreign holidays too.
Can't remember where he went off the top of my head? Switzerland, France Tippylooloo???
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

I can only remember the Find-Outers all having the flu. As for Fatty going abroad, he went on a cruise once and brought back clothes for the others to dress up as foreigners eg Bets as Princess Bongawee.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Yes, he bought those clothes in Morocco (The Mystery of the Vanished Prince).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Yes, Andy was a lot like Barney-- He may have married Jill-- he liked her better ,I feel-- In.Mystery of the strange bundle, all of them went down with flu-- Bets recovered.first-- She would go to Fatty's place.to keep him company -- it was then.that .Fatty.practiced his.ventriloqual talent--.and scared Bets--- But his fondness for her we notice immediately-- when.he.tells he did not really mean to scare.her. In the.Secret Island, -- Jack befriends the twins and Tom-- the brother-- Jack ,although.an orphan was big hearted -- he would have married one of the twins--
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

I seem to recall that in one of the FFO books it was mentioned that Fatty went skiing (possibly abroad) and only fell once, but I can't remeber in which book it was. I'm growing old :-(.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

Nair Snehalatha wrote:The others may have gone to uni
The girls would probably have not gone to uni after school. Perhaps a finishing school.

Their parents would have tried to find them a rich & successful husband asap. Fatty would probably fit this description for Bets.

I see someone suggested Dick might have married Jo. I think his parents would have threatened to disown him if he ever suggested he might marry a ragamuffin like her.
S-Dog2001
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Bets, followed closely by Fatty!

Post by S-Dog2001 »

Wolfgang wrote:I seem to recall that in one of the FFO books it was mentioned that Fatty went skiing (possibly abroad) and only fell once, but I can't remeber in which book it was. I'm growing old :-(.
It was Tally-Ho
Bets sat down suddenly because her knees began shaking.
"I’ve got that feeling again,” she said earnestly. “You know – that something is wrong with Fatty.”
Barnard

Post by Barnard »

I always hoped that on one occasion, Fatty would have brought round his school report for Bets to examine. Larry, Pip and Daisy would no doubt look a bit disgruntled, Bets would look admiringly at Fatty and he would unsuccessfully try to look modest.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I'd be interested in the remarks beside the grades in Fatty's school report :lol:.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

GloomyGraham wrote: I see someone suggested Dick might have married Jo. I think his parents would have threatened to disown him if he ever suggested he might marry a ragamuffin like her.
Maybe. I'm not so sure. Throughout the series Julian, Dick and Anne consistently show respect and tolerance for those from a class to their own. I would think they got that attitude from their parents. So while there would certainly have ben a few raised eyebrows had Dick brought Jo home as a prospective bride I think she would have been given a chance by the family. Particularly as Julian and Anne would probably have vouched for her also.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Dick's family.would never disown him if he.brought home ragamuffin.Jo as his bride. She had a lot.of good qualities-- and had saved the Five from a tight fix many a time-- She adored Timmy too.Now---.what about Inspector Jenks? I feel he would have.married Zoeof Pantomime cat---.or.Marian in.Holly Lane. But I feel the Inspector would prefer.Zoe.as she was lovely.yo look at and seemed very honest.and generous. At the end of Pantomime.cat-- we find the Inspector inviting Zoe.for lunch.with the other Find Outers.Zoe.too.would like.to have the handsome.., intelligent.Inspector of Police as her husband

Barnard

Post by Barnard »

I cannot see that there is any chance that Dick would ever marry Jo. As for Jenks, it is almost certain that he is already married. I have always thought that he was in his mid 40s and surely he would in any case not marry Zoe who was probably about 24 or 25.
S-Dog2001
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Bets, followed closely by Fatty!

Post by S-Dog2001 »

It's funny how this topic has changed from who would go to school together, to who would marry who! :lol:
Bets sat down suddenly because her knees began shaking.
"I’ve got that feeling again,” she said earnestly. “You know – that something is wrong with Fatty.”
Nair Snehalatha

Yes-- The topic has strayed off-- maybe because I 'm such a match making busy body--are n't I? I like to think of Jenks marrying Zoe-- though.I agree he.may not do so-- dont know if he's already married-- He never mentions his wife in any of the FF books. M
Barnard

Post by Barnard »

As Bets is the only Find-Outer who goes to a day school, she must surely have some school friends of her own age. It has always surprised me that she never sees them during the holidays or even mentions them.