The Mystery of the Invisible Thief

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Green Hedges

The Mystery of the Invisible Thief

Post by Green Hedges »

Have added a chapter-by-chapter summary of this lovely book to my essay.

https://bit.ly/3hMRf9T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have also added historical illustrations from the hardback and paperback editions.

But the highlight might be the tribute to Goon at the end. After all, this is the Mystery where Goon repeatedly disguises himself in an effort to outflank Fatty.

Duncern :D
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: The Mystery of the Invisible Thief

Post by Fiona1986 »

I actually like Jenny Chapple's work. I prefer her to Stanley Lloyd for Malory Towers so it was good to see her efforts for Invisible Thief.

The Bourne End police house looks nothing like the one in my imagination - it's far too big, still a shame that it's been replaced with another Tesco though.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

A most enjoyable read, if I may say so, Duncan. Many thanks. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Excellent Duncan, I really enjoyed that. Thanks ever so much.
Society Member
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Post by aminmec »

What are the objects in the box Fatty is holding on the cover of the first Armada paperback orange colour .
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Great question!
I thought at first it was a quiz question - but can we solve this puzzle?

The text says:
The door was wide open, though Fatty always left it shut and locked. Fatty ran in, amazed. He looked round.
His things were all in a muddle! Clothes had been dragged down from the pegs, drawers in a chest had been emptied, and everywhere was mess and muddle. Someone had been there and turned everything upside down.

"My money's gone", said Fatty in exasperation. "I'd got two pounds I was saving for my mother's birthday - why did I leave it here! I never do leave money in the ordinary way. Blow!"
"Anything else gone? "asked Larry. Pip, Daisy and Bets crowded into the untidy shed. Bets burst into tears, but nobody took any notice of her, not even Fatty.

"My knife's gone - that silver one, "said Fatty. "And that little silver case I kept odds and ends in. And yes - my cigarette case is gone, the one I use when I'm disguised. Well, the thief is welcome to that! I suppose he thought it was silver, but it isn't. It's just metal!"
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

In my 1969 Dragon edition of Invisible Thief, Fatty describes his cigarette case as, ‘it’s Woolworth’, rather than, ‘it’s just metal’.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Indeed. In Missing Necklace we read:
"There's Queen Elizabeth!" said Pip, pointing to a very grand-looking wax figure at the end of the little hall. "And there's Sir Walter Raleigh putting down his cloak for her to walk on. They're jolly good."
"What grand clothes she wears," said Bets, "and I like her big ruff. And look at all her beautiful jewellery. I'm surprised people don't steal it!"
"Pooh! All bought at Woolworth's!" said Pip. "I say—here's Nelson. I didn't know he was such a little chap."
Enid herself once said:
Enid Blyton:
I bought them [four goldfish] at Woolworth's for sixpence each, so they are not such beauties as my others were, and I think they are too small to lay eggs. Still, they make the pond look jolly, for they are very frisky, and dart about all day long. They were in a dirty pail at the shop, with about three inches of water in, so I expect they think they are in a heavenly place now - plenty of room, plenty of greenery, and all kinds of company.
Apologies for taking the original question about the book cover off topic!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The items in the drawer look to me like a false beard, a false moustache and a notebook with a green cover. I'm not sure about the things with coloured squares. Maybe they're little palettes of greasepaint used for disguises, with squares of greasepaint in different colours?
Barnard wrote:In my 1969 Dragon edition of Invisible Thief, Fatty describes his cigarette case as, ‘it’s Woolworth’, rather than, ‘it’s just metal’.
My 1979 Dragon still has "It's Woolworth!" My Dragon edition also has "for Mother's birthday" which seems to have been changed to "for my mother's birthday" by Armada.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Post by aminmec »

Thank you all .