Mystery Hidden House

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Green Hedges

Mystery Hidden House

Post by Green Hedges »

I want to update my analysis of Hidden House by including a chapter-by-chapter analysis and a history of how the book was illustrated.

I don't have (and can't get from abebooks) the 1963 Armada paperback edition with illustrations by Charles Stewart. Does anyone have that? In fact, it has to be someone who can send me scans of the illustrations.

I've got the original Methuen hardback illustrations, and the Mary Gernat ones that are in many of the paperback editions. But the Charles Stewart ones will be different , fresh and good, so I want to include them, if I possibly can.

I seem to recall that there was a website that had Charles Stewart illustrations of Enid Blyton books. But I can't find that now.

Hoping someone can help!

Duncan :)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Mystery Hidden House

Post by pete9012S »

The Mystery of the
Hidden House
(Armada 1963 paperback edition)
http://seriesbookart.co.uk/blyton/house.php?id=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bonus:
1. The Mystery of the Hidden House - Armada paperback published in 1991. Internal illustrations by Rodney Sutton.
http://seriesbookart.co.uk/blyton/house91.php?id=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Ah, so it's still there. Thanks, Pete, that's brilliant!
:D
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

No problem Duncan.

It just struck me that if Enid had stopped at the sixth book Hidden House we would have only ever had one mystery including Ern Goon.

Fatty's shed only gets its first mention in Hidden House too, so all those cosy meetings, camp bed adventures etc etc would never have taken place....
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

What a dreadful thought! Thankfully she continued, as Ern is one of my favourite characters.
Society Member
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

I've now added a chapter-by-chapter summary of Mystery of the Hidden House here: http://www.enidblyton.me.uk/styled-55/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It makes me realise what a well-constructed, hilarious and touching book it is. Enid at full blast. Surely one of the strongest plots and most entertaining books she wrote, whether in the Mystery series or anywhere else.

And I feel my self-indulgent bit at the end is worth its place now that I've covered the basics more thoroughly.

See what you think.

Dunc-ern :)
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

In a word, brilliant.
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks "Dunc-ern"! I am so looking forward to reading it, but won't be able to give it my full attention until later this evening as I still have a load of work to do...the joys of home office!
Cheers,
Boodi (Monique)
Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

Duncan,

I answered your question about whether Enid's signature appeared in the first edition of Five Go Off to Camp.

See last post at:
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/for ... &start=240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Thanks Splodj. Yes, I'll be reminding myself of what you told me when I update the concluding part of Mystery of Holly Lane (I think it was). Which I hope will be this year.

Hope you enjoy it Boodi/Moniquern.

What a lovely word 'brilliant' is, Lenoir. The word that Enid used to describe kingfishers.

There should be a turquoise emoji that shoots across the screen...
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

Thanks Duncan.

I would be interested in your view of a rough map of Peterswood in the middle of this page:
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/for ... &start=300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only difference from the locations on your site is that I believe Enid was dissatisfied with the church in Bourne End and transplanted a bigger one (possibly St Peter's in Burnham) into a pivotal position in the village.

I believe this addresses the tricky questions:

1 - How do the three parties go home by separate routes from Church Corner? (Spiteful Letters)

2 - How does Ern go from the station to the High Street without going in the direction of Fatty's house? (Hidden House)

I realise that I might be trying too hard to rationalise here!
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Thanks Duncan,
I really enjoyed it and it brought back so many memories as I no longer have a copy of the book. I actually don't think the plot in "Hidden House" is all that great, but I agree that it is one of Enid's most entertaining books due to the introduction of Ern and the descriptions of the "goings on" on Christmas Hill. Despite the passage of time (half a century!)I have never forgotten the poem that Fatty wrote in Ern's notebook that got the latter into so much trouble with his uncle!
Cheers, Boodi (Moniquern!!!)
Society Member
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Splodge, I've had a quick look at the map you mention and will get back to you when I've had a chance to load up on all the geographical stuff. It was actually quite difficult to claim sufficient focused time to do that Hidden House piece and I must wait a while before entering the zone again.

You've got a good memory, Boodi. It was only when I slowed myself down and told myself just to enjoy a chapter, chosen more or less at random, that I fully realised how strong the material was. The chapter being 'Unpleasant Night For Ern'. Easy to miss, because by then in the book the plot is speeding up and there is the temptation to speed-read for developments.
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

When a book is so special you have to:

1) Buy multiple copies
2) Pin a 1st ed. to the wall
3) Source the author's own copy and keep it in a box
4) Analyse the hell out of the text: https://bit.ly/3oc7TSH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ah, Imgur remembered.

Duncern :D
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Russell Calvert, who wrote to me last week suggesting that Holmer Green was the real world inspiration for Wilmer Green in Mystery of the Burnt Cottage, has written to me again, this time about a far more fundamental piece of Blyton geography.

He has a fascinating theory about where the action of Mystery of the Hidden House took place. To read it, scroll down-down-down through this essay until you get to the POSTSCRIPT: enidblyton.me.uk/styled-55/index.html

What do you think, Blyton aficionados? Is he right? I think he is.

Duncan