The Mystery Of The Hidden House

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Re: The Mystery Of The Hidden House

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

I am reading the Mystery of the Hidden House to my 10 year old daughter. She loves the Find Outers and this is one of my favourites as I love the way Ern is introduced. But my version, Dean 1994, although it does have illustrations it doesn't have the silhouettes at the top of any page, and nor does it have a picture of them climbing over the glass spiked walls. I would love to buy a copy which does have that. Can anyone tell me which edition does ? Thanks.
Note my version is unabridged and it does include Good caning Ern for his rude pome ! I believe more modern editions have edited this out. Does anyone know ?
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Mary Lou
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers,Secret Seven,The Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Bets,Darrel,Anne,Sally,Mary Lou,Felicity,Isabel O

Post by Mary Lou »

Hello Irene,
You can find more about the book which has the picture in this link: https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... dden+House" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Im not really sure if they are still selling it.(the publisher)
I hope you find this link helpful.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I believe some versions did change Ern's caning to a lesser form of punishment, but I only have a hardback version from the 1950s so am not sure about later alterations. It's good to know some things have been retained - or reintroduced! Mary Lou's link should show you some illustrations.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

Late reply but thanks Mary Lou for that link. That version of the Hidden House has a lovely frontcover. Much better than mine. And it was interesting to read the review too.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Just recently finished yet another re-read of this and absolutely love the book. I think it's right up there with my favourites - very clever plot(s), and great humour with the first introduction of Ern and all the 'portry', and Fatty's shed only really becomes the warm, cosy main meeting place in this book as well. So a lot to love it for!

One slight thing that I often wonder about is them presumably having to leave the wire rope wrapped around the beam and dropping down the hole? I can't see when they'd have had a chance to untie and remove it, and you'd think the men might wonder what it was if they saw it? Not enough to spook them in the same way as if Ern had escaped with the three boys - but still could maybe warn them that someone's possibly been snooping about?
Society Member
Anjalli
Favourite book/series: Find Outers, Famous Five, Secret, Adventure series
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack, George, Barney, Darrell, Bets, Dinah.

Post by Anjalli »

I have the book cover of the first post. I wondered too about the wire rope but also how did the floor fit itself back in place, the rope would have been hanging down in the corner, would it not impede the floor from settling in place? It's a very good book though and I love it.
The Chief looked at Fatty. "Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare," he said, "but generosity crowns everything, Frederick. One of these days I'll be proud of you!" - "Vanished Prince".
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

I just discovered this thread.
"Hidden House" is together with "Tally-Ho Cottage" and "Secret Room" one of my favorites in the series.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock