Mystery of DISAPPEARING cat

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Mystery of DISAPPEARING cat

Post by pete9012S »

I must admit I only read the original versions of The Find Outers books and the 1970's paperback uncensored Knight editions.
I don't like any tinkering with Enid's original texts or illustrations - Betty Maxey excepted of course!! :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I wish some of the annoying cats around my estate would disappear.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thought I'd repost these pics as they seem to have become lost by the older image host used a few years ago:

Five Find Outers Illustrator Comparison (J.Abbey v Mary Gernat)
The Mystery of The Disappearing Cat(1947 third edition) v The The Mystery of The Disappearing Cat (1974 Dragon Edition)

The above pics are from my own copies of the books.
Don't forget - if time allows, the original much better quality illustrations are available for your perusal in the cave:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... ustrations

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Anyone who considers the word plump offensive in a series of books where the principal character is called Fatty probably wants to stop reading books. How can the term kennel girl be construed as offensive?
As John said earlier, I've given up on what words and phrases upset people nowadays.
Some varied illustrations there, Pete. I never cared for Joseph Abbey's work, the ones in the Armada paperbacks are much better. I've always got time to relax in the Cave. It's a pity there isn't a bar in there, Pete. You, me and Nigel would never leave! :D
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Yes John.
If only Nigel would let us buy him a round occasionally our cave research expedition would be complete!! :D

Society Member
Anjalli
Favourite book/series: Find Outers, Famous Five, Secret, Adventure series
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack, George, Barney, Darrell, Bets, Dinah.

Post by Anjalli »

I so hated Mr. Tupping especially when he frightened poor little Bets to death, it made my blood boil. I wanted someone to do him harm and was glad he was the bad guy and going to jail (did not quite understood the concept of jail back then but kind of knew it was someplace bad people go). Felt sorry for Luke at all he had to go through too at the hands of him.
I do not care for the 'politically correct' terms for things people say these days, I still like the way the books were written back then and see no offence in the word "plump" or "kennel girl"....it was the times it was written in. I am old fashioned that way i guess and i like it.
The Chief looked at Fatty. "Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare," he said, "but generosity crowns everything, Frederick. One of these days I'll be proud of you!" - "Vanished Prince".
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It never sat comfortably with me that the cats were kept in a cage. I know they were show-cats, but it always seemed rather cruel.

Tupping was indeed a cruel man. We had a mention of domestic abuse in another thread, and it has made me think that Enid's book were full of this.

I guess it depends how terms such as 'Fatty' are used. A boy told the Find-Outers that they were being rude for calling him Fatty when they mistook him for the real Fatty. Obesity is quite a problem today and I don't think it would be polite to describe someone as "that fat woman", for example. Look how offended Tilly Ramsay was when she was referred to as 'plump'. Let's face it, all of Enid's farmer's wives were plump - it was seen as healthy back then!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The story is good of the disappearing cat, but as mentioned Tupping is a very cruel man, and I guess Enid wanted her readers to hate him, which she succeeded in doing.

I too would have thought that show cats would be much safer indoors than outside in cages, but then that's all part and parcel of the story. If the cats were indoors where they should be, there would be no story, and no clues inside the cages.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Moonraker should get Tupping to get rid of the cats straying around his estate--.
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

Enid had some really nasty villains in her books, but, out of all of them, I hate Tuppimg the most because he was so horrible to Bets. However, the ‘strawberry runner’ incident was extremely well written and convincing.
Nair Snehalatha

Talking of villains, there were people like Red Tower-- and his gang--who kidnapped George in Five fall into adventure-- he very.nearly shot Timmy too-- Ragamuffin Jo saved Timmy from being shot-- these were also dreadful villains-- had it been any other book all horrid things would have happened -- but being Enid Blyton, she never ever writes anything dreadful that happened with.anyone.Thats why I love her sooo much-- always portraying carefree , happy pictures.about honest children
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

Tupping was very cruel and a sadist but as he didn't have a gun and was more of a lone hand he was much less dangerous than Red Towers or Jo-Jo. But the potential was there What surprises me is how he got the job in the first place.But if he hadn't there would have been no book !
Re the other thread - plump or not - most of EB's farmer's wives are plump and most of her good characters are plump. When someone is described as skinny they are nearly always bad. I should have been one of her characters ! and then I wouldn't have worried about my plumpness !! I will think of that when I devour some chocolates today that I know Santa has brought me !!
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Enjoy those chocolates Irene Malory Towers! Although I was never obese in the medical sense I used to worry dreadfully about my weight and spent years dieting, but to little or no avail. I am still overweight (I describe myself as "plump") but having reached my present age and survived a serious illness I no longer worry about it as much as I did and indulge in all my favourite foods, with the exception of the season of Lent when I refrain from all foods with a high sugar and/or fat content. I often wonder if my love of eating came from reading Enid Blyton books?
Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

I would say.definitely love of eating comes fro Enid blyton books-- Kust think of the deluptious food.she writes about in her books-- macaroons, eclairs,.cherry cakes, hot scones, bacon and eggs, custard and cream -- its lip smacking and never ending-- I really must say a great.thank you to blyton for making me love all these scrumplicious dishes-- has made me as greedy.as mr Goon
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

Ditto. Well Santa brought me a toblerone and they are very hard to come by these days - except the massive toblerones you get at Duty Free and even I am not so greedy as to demolish that. I have eaten all but 2 small triangles. Love it.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !