The River of Adventure

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Re: The River of Adventure

Post by Bertie »

Katharine wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 22:01 ...It's interesting that reading those books influenced some people to want to travel, as I mentioned above, if anything it put me off ever wanting to visit such countries! :)
Yeah me too, Katharine. :lol:

I love Egyptian pyramids, statues, etc, but really have no wish to visit there and I'm happy to enjoy them from afar. I don't find the world's described in River of Adventure, Secret Mountain, Secret of Killimooin particularly endearing.

Generally, I much prefer the books set in the UK. Especially the one's set in a particular setting like Peterswood and Kirrin. I do think the foreign settings work in a few of the Adventure series - Circus, Valley, Ship. But, as mentioned, I don't enjoy reading about the world's described in River, or the Secret Mountain / Killimooin, anywhere near as much.
Society Member
Blytonfan

Post by Blytonfan »

I loved the description of "Cine City".
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Blytonfan wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 22:25 I loved the description of "Cine City".
Yes, it was interesting, and possibly had even more impact on the readers when it was first published, as many of them might not have been familiar with the idea of scenery. Nowadays with places such as MGM Studio tours etc., perhaps more people are aware of how film sets operate.

Bertie, I feel that probably some series/characters are more suited to 'exotic' adventures than others. I think Julian and Dick go to France on a school trip at the beginning of one of the books, but I can't imagine them having adventures abroad - unless staying in Wales counts. ;) And I certainly can't picture the Secret Seven going any further than a few miles from their homes.

Of course any books in magical settings such as the Faraway Tree have the advantage of being able to combine the every day with almost anywhere in the world, and mixing up locations, without having to make any pretence of it relating to a real place. Although I think the visit to the land of the snowman was supposed to be the the North Pole?

As I'm sure I've said before, one of Enid Blyton's strong points is that she catered for such a wide variety of readers, both in age range, but in settings, so there should be something to appeal to most people. Even within in any particular series, such as the Adventure series, there is plenty of variety, so hopefully we can all find at least one book that we enjoy.

Also, with a series like the Adventure books, I don't think they would have worked if they'd been set in roughly the same kind of setting. For something like the SS or FFO, it worked well to have groups of children having adventures close to their homes, and much as I enjoyed the setting of Kirrin, I don't think I'd have wanted to read 21 books based just around the island the surrounding area. Given the nature of Bill's job, I definitely don't think it would have been very realistic if all the adventures had been set in one location.

Plus of course these forums would be rather boring if everyone liked the same books equally - we'd have nothing much to discuss. :)
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

The passage or reference in "The River of Adventure" referring to Oola being "smelly" did not surprise/shock me as characters in other books (Tassie in Castle of Adventure, Jo in the FF and even Jane in The Six Cousins) are also described in a similar fashion and I am sure there are many other examples...perhaps Sniffer?
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's a good point about the other characters. I can't say I'd ever picked up on those before.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I suppose another example is "The ship of adventure".

"The children liked French Morocco. They especially liked the native bazaars, although the smell was so terrible that Mrs. Mannering said she could only bear it if she walked along with smelling-salts pressed to her nose."
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

Indeed, although the description rings true insofar as my late mother could not stand the scent of Yardley Lavender Water/English Lavender due to the fact that when she visited a bazaar in Morocco in the early 1930s she found the smell so overpowering and disgusting that she sprinkled some Yardley Lavender water on to her handkerchief, which she then held over her mouth and nose in an attempt to camouflage the unpleasant smell! From that time onwards she avoided that particular perfume as it always reminded her of the smell in the bazaar.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Wolfgang wrote: 15 Jun 2023, 15:11 I suppose another example is "The ship of adventure".

"The children liked French Morocco. They especially liked the native bazaars, although the smell was so terrible that Mrs. Mannering said she could only bear it if she walked along with smelling-salts pressed to her nose."
I'd forgotten about that, but I suspect it embedded itself into my brain which is probably why I've never had any desire to visit the country - it just goes to show how something can influence someone.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It would probably have been the tanneries that smelt bad in Morocco, where hides are processed and turned into leather. The food markets generally smell lovely (I think so, anyway!) as there's plenty of mint, coriander, ginger, honey and fruit. Having said that, I know a couple of people who can't stomach the smell of fish stalls, or who find the aroma of spices like turmeric and cumin very strong.

I'm among those who felt the urge to travel when reading adventure books set abroad. Travelling in various settings has brought certain Enid Blyton books to mind, e.g. a 12-mile walk in Norway through mountains and valleys with waterfalls reminded me vividly of The Valley of Adventure - even more so than walks in Austria, funnily enough. Parts of Morocco and Israel made me think of The River of Adventure, being on a boat among the Greek Islands made me feel that I'd entered the world of The Ship of Adventure, and mountains in Switzerland and Austria reminded me of The Secret of Killimooin (I've also been to Yugoslavia - as it was then - but I was mainly in the city of Zagreb so I didn't think about The Secret of Killimooin there, even though it has been suggested that Baronia may have been modelled on the Balkans).

Of course, I love Enid Blyton's British adventures too and her books often come to mind when I see particular things, e.g. bluebell woods and buttercup fields, or visit certain places, especially castles and caves! Her wonderful stories have been a massive influence on my life in many ways.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Boodi 2

Post by Boodi 2 »

It may well have been the tanneries that smelt so disgusting, but my mother did not elaborate on the actual smell, only that it was foul! The River of Adventure also makes me think of North Africa and Israel, which I would love to visit at some stage (unlike my late mother I did not have two rich elderly aunts who brought me on holiday with them!!!). Likewise, sandy beaches, cliffs and caves always make me think of Enid Blyton's British adventures, so the stories have had a lasting influence on me.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

The first time I read River I was terrified as the children narrowly escaped death by being dashed to pieces over the cataract. Enid at her best as the river narrowed and the current increased.
Raya Uma was a poor excuse for a villain.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

John Pickup wrote: 16 Jun 2023, 20:28 Raya Uma was a poor excuse for a villain.
And the Cloud9 series one was even worse.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

John Pickup wrote: 16 Jun 2023, 20:28 The first time I read River I was terrified as the children narrowly escaped death by being dashed to pieces over the cataract. Enid at her best as the river narrowed and the current increased.
That's one of my favourite parts, John - chilling and beautifully written. I also love the exploration of the temple where mouldering old things subside with "queer little sighs" on being disturbed. Entrancing and deliciously eerie.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Boodi 2 wrote: 15 Jun 2023, 10:49 The passage or reference in "The River of Adventure" referring to Oola being "smelly" did not surprise/shock me as characters in other books (Tassie in Castle of Adventure, Jo in the FF and even Jane in The Six Cousins) are also described in a similar fashion and I am sure there are many other examples...perhaps Sniffer?
In the days when the books were written, it was standard both in private homes and at girls' boarding schools (so Arthur Marshall informs me) that bathnight was once a week.

Tassie was a gypsy, and while gypsies are not known for being dirty (I'm assuming Rumer Godden's Diddakoi is a more accurate description of the average gypsy), it sounds like she was an exception. Clearly neglected by her mother, and I have been told by an ex-teacher friend of a similarly neglected child who was ignored by her mother and who smelt appalling. Not the child's fault, because you don't notice your own smell and her mother was too drugged up to care. So I can well believe Tassie.
DSR