Which book was Enid's Murder Of Roger Ackroyd?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Which book was Enid's Murder Of Roger Ackroyd?

Post by Chrissie777 »

Matthew Roberts wrote:I don’t think Enid Blyton mentions the WWII much in her work, does she? The only other title I can think of, off the top of my head, is The Adventurous Four. Another great book. I wonder how such books translate to the German market?
By the way, Chrissie, I was actually born in Germany, in Hannover. :) I can’t speak much German myself, though, sadly! I was only there for six months or so. (My father was in the British Army.) I did do a little German in school, and I have always wanted to visit one day.
Incidentally, Enid breaks the “rule” about twins in The Mystery of the Pantomine Cat as well. That commandment I can get behind because it is rather lazy, but most of Knox’s “rules” I dismiss, along with the very notion of “rules”. I don’t think you can write good fiction of any kind with a list of rules to follow, and the reason Agatha Christie’s books are so brilliant is that she broke the rules, flouted convention, found new ways to deceive and distract the reader—and of course dreamt up pretty much every single ingenious plot, twist and sting-in-the-tail before anyone else did.
Hi Matthew, the old couple in "Valley" was a big surprise for me when I read the book for the very first time as a child living in Braunschweig near Hannover.
When were you born in Hannover if I may ask?
I was born in Munich in 1955. Was 9 years old when we moved to the north to Braunschweig and I visited Hannover from 1978 on quite often, because my first former husband's parents and friends lived in Hannover. The first flea market in Germany started in Hannover at the Leine river next to the old Beginen tower.

Even though I am reading EB's suspenseful book series since 1965, I did not read "The Adventurous Four" before 2008. I had read the German translation (Die Arnoldkinder) when I was much younger, but it didn't appeal as much to me as the FF, Barney series or Adventure series.
Thanks to the Enid Blyton Yahoo Group which André, my husband, discovered in Google in the summer of 2008 and which I joined years before I joined EBS I was made aware of "The Adventurous Four" and read them for the first time in English plus the sequel and the novella/short story.
And this time I was thrilled. Read it several times since 2008.
I didn't realize that they were actually inspiring the later "Sea of Adventure".

I remember that I enjoyed reading "The Pantomime Cat", but forgot that twins were a part of the story...time to reread it! 8)

Matthew, Hannover was very much destroyed during WW II, but has been renovated and become a nice city. Not as beautiful as Hamburg or Munich though. I spent the past 15 years of my life in Germany in Hamburg working for a movie magazine, before I immigrated to the US in March 2002. Hamburg has lovely parks and big lakes in the center of the city plus an incredible river walk along the Elbe river next to old sailor's and captain's cottages (unfortunately most tourists who come to Hamburg don't know about the beautiful river walk leading from Oevelgoenne to Blankenese and they only explore the downtown area).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:
Matthew Roberts wrote: There is so much to like about The Valley of Adventure. To me, the idea of the old Austrian couple guarding over the treasures and awaiting the end of a war which had finished years before was so very moving.
Oddly, that was the very part I found least credible — how they could survive for presumably several years on their own (where did they get enough food, considering they were obviously too old and frail to become hunter-gatherers??) — and that weakened the otherwise brilliant plot overall for me.
Courtenay, when I read this as a child I always believed that they must have had a big supply of canned food.
And don't forget the daily egg from Martha, the chicken. :wink:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I would argue Five On A Treasure Island is Enid's Roger Ackroyd. That book always seems to command the most attention, and price for 1st editions, at book fairs I've attended.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

John, I think you've nailed it.
What with this shrewd post and our combined love of Betty Maxey, we could be twins!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:John, I think you've nailed it.
What with this shrewd post and our combined love of Betty Maxey, we could be twins!
:wink: :wink: :wink:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

pete9012S wrote:John, I think you've nailed it.
It's not often I'm lost for words. Thanks, Bruv. :D
Society Member
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

It is not her best book (Treasure Island) but the Famous Five is her most well known and enduring series. And the Famous Five books like Five go on Brexit have (possibly) helped or hindered the series. What do people think of the Famous Five take off series - done in the 80's by Dawn French etc. Or is there already a thread on this. I watched a couple and although they were funny at the start the humour does wear a bit thin.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Irene, there's a thread on Five Go Mad in Dorset etc. here:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/for ... +in+dorset+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In case anyone's interested, we've also got a thread on Five on Brexit Island and the other Quercus books:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/for ... us#p267750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member