Reality on The Secret Island

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Re: Reality on The Secret Island

Post by sixret »

Paracetomol is the least bad among painkillers. It only damages the stomach tissues if taken with empty stomach. And will weaken the natural body defend system if taken everyday even when the person does not need it i.e. not ill.
Nigel D
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Nigel D »

I ended up with huge stomach ulcers from taking too much ibuprofen!!!! Had to have endoscopy- the full works.

Going back to female puberty, I wonder how it affected George ???? If it it did at all. She seems to be a less spiky character by the end of the series so I wonder if her bodily changes had something to do with that ?

(Of course, I doubt very much if Enid even considered that, but I just thought hypothetically it could be fun to consider). Doesn’t she have a soft spot for a lad in one of the later books ????
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Blimey! I never realised that reality on the Secret Island was this serious. If the children had known what was going to happen to them as they grew up they would never have gone to the island in the first place. They would have needed a large shed just to store the toilet rolls, sanitary towels and boxes of painkillers.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That idea takes the romance out of the whole enterprise, John. Now next time I read the book I wonder what I will be thinking! :roll: :wink:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

John Pickup wrote:Blimey! I never realised that reality on the Secret Island was this serious. If the children had known what was going to happen to them as they grew up they would never have gone to the island in the first place. They would have needed a large shed just to store the toilet rolls, sanitary towels and boxes of painkillers.
Not to mention epipens, hay fever tablets, low sugar lemonade, shampoo, spot cream, lip balm, mouthwash, vitamin tablets, supplements etc...
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Oh for the simple life! How did we ever survive I wonder.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

sixret wrote:Yes, the side effects of ibuprofen are dangerous. It causes damage to heart, kidneys among others in the long run.
Rob, Eddie, Wolfgang and sixret, I copied and pasted your concerns about Ibuprofen into an e-mail and sent them to my husband, but I doubt he'll change his habit. Without Ibuprofen he couldn't play golf (and golf is his big passion).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I think you have to balance out the risks vs benefits as with any drugs.

I was on ibuprofen, paracetamol and codydramol around the clock for at least 6 weeks after having Brodie and I couldn't have functioned without pain relief. The benefits of being able to move far outweigh a theoretical risk of heart problems in the far future. I'm now taking naproxen on an as needed basis, and again, the benefit of not being in agony from sitting down (especially now I'm back at work) to me outweighs the risks.

NSAIDS are amongst the safest forms of pain relief and huge numbers of studies have been done on their efficacy. If you want pain relief without using NSAIDS largely you'd be looking at far more dangerous opioids like morphene. I really dislike this new attitude that over the counter pain relief is dangerous (obviously if it is misused it can be) and that people should just struggle with pain instead of taking it.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Lunalove wrote:Just where did those kids go to the loo?!! Can't even begin to think of how they would have had to deal with that. No loo paper presumably. And that would be an issue when the island was searched surely? Yes, kids books don't mention things like that, but when you read as an adult, you can't help wondering LOL :D
Lunalove would be proud of the groundbreaking posts on this most interesting topic if Lunalove posts here again.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Fiona1986 wrote: I really dislike this new attitude that over the counter pain relief is dangerous (obviously if it is misused it can be) and that people should just struggle with pain instead of taking it.
Of course, everyone should do what they feel is best. But I would like to reiterate that these warnings about ibuprofen aren't exactly 'new' - unless you class 23 years as 'new'. ;-) I can only go by what my friend's doctor told him, after several years using ibuprofen and having had a triple by-pass. I know he was in a 'high risk' category - but the doctor pretty much said it was a possibility that his heart problems before the bypass could have been caused partly by the ibuprofen. So I've known about this since 1995, whereas the stories of the risks only surfaced in the media around 3 or 4 years ago. :-)

In the end, we all make our own choices, as with everything in life - but I'm just constantly surprised how often this drug is prescribed by doctors - and now its available over the counter and everyone is taking it, in the false knowledge that its completely safe.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

By 'new' I mean suddenly endemic and reaching scare-mongering proportions all over the internet. Many parents are now scared to give their babies calpol when they have a fever or are in pain.

NSAIDS aren't designed to be used at high doses permanently. As with any medication the advice is always 'the lowest [effective] dose for the shortest time'. However, some people require moderate to high dosages for a long time to manage painful conditions, and that can have unfortunate side effects. What's worse, though. A prolonged period of pain that perhaps makes it difficult for you to raise a family, keep a job, have a hobby or a quality of life, or the risk that years down the line you may have a problem?

Pain isn't just about the physicality, either. Prolonged pain, even mild pain, can have a detrimental effect on mental health.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Gosh, well, thank goodness the pros and cons of painkillers are another issue Enid's characters never had to consider!! :shock:
Rob Houghton wrote:
John Pickup wrote:Blimey! I never realised that reality on the Secret Island was this serious. If the children had known what was going to happen to them as they grew up they would never have gone to the island in the first place. They would have needed a large shed just to store the toilet rolls, sanitary towels and boxes of painkillers.
Not to mention epipens, hay fever tablets, low sugar lemonade, shampoo, spot cream, lip balm, mouthwash, vitamin tablets, supplements etc...
Yeah, well said, John and Rob. :wink: I really must get on and actually read the book (The Secret Island itself, I mean) now that I've got a copy and have finished all the other books I was reading first and have therefore run out of excuses!! I'll begin it today after lunch and before my work shift (I've got something else to do this morning and am just procrastinating now). And may "reality" NOT intrude on it. :mrgreen: :P
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Can you imagine?

"We'd better take some ibuprofen, in case of head-aches," said Nora.

"Pooh, ibuprofen gives you stomach ulcers," said Mike, wrinkling his nose. "We'd be better off with paracetamol."

"Are you mad?" asked Peggy. "Paracetamol is dangerous, you can overdose on just four tablets you know. We'd better take aspirin."

"Aspirin? That thins your blood, you fat-head," said Mike. "And then what happens if you cut yourself, you'll bleed to death!"

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :wink: Well done, Fiona.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Can you imagine children wanting to read it? :lol: One didn't even hear of a basic first aid kit among their "must haves"... Cut your knee? - here's my hanky to bind it up with. Burnt your hand? - stick it in cold water. (Actually the latter is recommended, but back in the day there were burn creams on sale... not sure if they still are.)
Sorry to read that you are in need of painkillers, Fiona.. I hope the reason for them is not something you have to suffer permanently.

Society Member