Reality on The Secret Island

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Re: Reality on The Secret Island

Post by Jack400 »

Wolfgang wrote:The social concept of "allowing children to be children" and being enforced by the society is rather new, at least in Western societies with Eurpopean roots.
I'm not sure that I agree with that, Wolfgang. The books seemed quite sympathetic to the idea that children had to be allowed to play and have fun as well as having to do chores and generally be well behaved/ respectful. Rather than be treated as 'slaves'.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

When Enid had the Arnold children being treated as slaves, I think it had more to do with the tradition of fairy-tales (such as Cinderella) than reflecting real life of the times. Step Mothers (or aunts) were often the baddies in Enid's books, making children into slaves and servants because they were fulfilling the part of 'wicked step mother' etc. Most children who were in 'normal' families weren't treated like this in her books.

Also, with no welfare state in those days, no NHS etc, if people couldn't really afford children (like Jack's grandfather) then the children had to 'earn their keep' by doing chores. Jacks Grandfather would have been very badly off, probably not able to work for a living, etc.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

How very true, Rob. Ah the "good old days"! :roll:
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Jack400 wrote:
Wolfgang wrote:The social concept of "allowing children to be children" and being enforced by the society is rather new, at least in Western societies with Eurpopean roots.
I'm not sure that I agree with that, Wolfgang. The books seemed quite sympathetic to the idea that children had to be allowed to play and have fun as well as having to do chores and generally be well behaved/ respectful. Rather than be treated as 'slaves'.
Enid was in favour of this concept, and over time children's rights improved. When I speak of relatively new, I mean less than 200 years.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Chrissie777 wrote:I guess all I can do is compare my FF books with the Cave of Books illustrations assuming that Tony has ALL illustrations from each FF volume.
This turns into detective work. :wink:
I have come here from another thread and I hadn't seen your post, Chrissie, but perhaps I had better say again something I haven't said for a while. All internal illustrations in the Cave are taken from 1st editions - if something comes from a later edition I say so. If it makes it any easier all Famous Five books originally had 32 internal illustrations.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Jack400 wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:When Enid had the Arnold children being treated as slaves, I think it had more to do with the tradition of fairy-tales (such as Cinderella) than reflecting real life of the times. Step Mothers (or aunts) were often the baddies in Enid's books, making children into slaves and servants because they were fulfilling the part of 'wicked step mother' etc. Most children who were in 'normal' families weren't treated like this in her books.

Also, with no welfare state in those days, no NHS etc, if people couldn't really afford children (like Jack's grandfather) then the children had to 'earn their keep' by doing chores. Jacks Grandfather would have been very badly off, probably not able to work for a living, etc.
I think the difference is that many children had to work around the home and help out because things were dire. Some were fastidious and hard-working, others slacked off a lot. The Arnold children worked incredibly hard, were respectful and polite and took it all with surprisingly good grace considering they were brought up in a much more affluent and comfortable home. Yet they are treated as if they are work-shy, ungrateful and rude. They are slapped for making genuine mistakes and starved for extremely minor 'crimes'.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I have come here from another thread and I hadn't seen your post, Chrissie, but perhaps I had better say again something I haven't said for a while. All internal illustrations in the Cave are taken from 1st editions - if something comes from a later edition I say so. If it makes it any easier all Famous Five books originally had 32 internal illustrations.
Thank you, Tony. 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

Moonraker wrote:
To my knowledge, zombies don't perform normal bodily functions.
lol - I meant the non-zombie survivors never seem to dig trenches etc since the sewage systems wouldn't be maintained. And that toilet paper would - no doubt - be in short supply, just like petrol should be :)
kirstleecurry
Favourite book/series: Five FindOuters
Favourite character: Fatty and Mr Goon

Post by kirstleecurry »

Old thread I know, but I'm reminded of one of my favourite TV shows, Survivor... going to the loo is generally overlooked, unless it's the case of #severeintestinaldistress but generally they tend to do their business in the water, a very jolly term has been coined for that technique as well!
Growing up in South Africa - and used to bushveld holidays, I just assumed they did a wee behind a bush... as to the rest well, I tried NOT to think too hard about it!!!
dsr

Post by dsr »

Lunalove wrote:Just where did those kids go to the loo?!! Can't even begin to think of how they would have had to deal with that. No loo paper presumably. And that would be an issue when the island was searched surely? Yes, kids books don't mention things like that, but when you read as an adult, you can't help wondering LOL :D
How big is the island? I visited Ireland two or three years back, and saw the Isle of Innisfree in Sligo/Donegal. The one the song is about. It's a big island and is covered with trees; there would be plenty of room for a "bathroom" corner. Leaves and shovels have been mentioned already!

The thing about an island like Innisfree is that it has trees everywhere. Right down to the water's edge. If there was anyone on the lake, or looking from the shore, they wouldn't see a child who was a couple of yards back from the island shore because the trees and bushes are too thick. Put that island on a slightly quieter lake, and it could work.
DSR