The characters in later life - professions etc.

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Nair Snehalatha

Re: The characters in later life - professions etc.

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Incidentally, in Rub a dub.mystery.we see that Miss Pepper and Mrs Glump knew each other as small girls. It makes me wonder if the inn-- Three men in a tub.is really there still-- Rub a dub inn. It was supposed.to have been in the Glump family for more than a hundred and fifty years . The walls must have heard and seen.many secrets
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Nair Snehalatha wrote: 28 Aug 2013, 04:08 I have another hope God makes me born as one of the lovely Enid Blyton characters.
Wow - that's far out man! :shock:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

What.about Dummy-- in Rub a dub mystery? Wish Enid blyton had put him as a supporting character in the other two mystery stories-- Rat a tat and Ragamuffin -- the last two books after Barney finds his father and family.Dummy had known Barney's mother, and would have been a very helpful and loving family member.-- he would have seen.Roger, Diana, Snubby off and on-- to say nothing of Loony and Miranda
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

Dummy was not a member of Roger, Diana or Barney’s families so I don’t see how he could be a ‘loving family member.’ In fact, Enid Blyton introduced hundreds of ‘supporting characters’, and they can’t all reappear in book after book.
Nair Snehalatha

Yes-- you are right, Barnard, -- I think my imagination is running away with me-- I want to keep track of all the supporting characters , -- but its silly to want them all to reappear in the entire series.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Nair Snehalatha wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 09:35 What.about Dummy--

Yes, yes, yes Barnard and Nair!
Whose heart does not long for a book filled with the thrilling adventures of Dummy.

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Brilliant Pete. I doubt it would hit the bestseller list though. :lol: :lol:

I broadly think Enid got it right with the supporting characters. Most of them are perfectly adequate and believable for the plot in which they appear but if they all reappeared in book after book then I think we would get quite bored of them. And it would be beyond Enid (or any other author) to have fully developed such an amount of characters or found things for them all to do in the books. Having Ern and Jo appear several times was good because they suited several different books but someone like Dummy could never have appeared in any other role than the one written for him in Rubadub.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Fiona1986 wrote: 28 May 2021, 19:11 I suppose we should all just end our lives at 16 then! Anything above that must be pointless and miserable.
Actually I'll say that my life up to 16 was a lot happier than it's been since then especially these last few years, so yes I'd say there is little enjoyment in being an adult. When I was 12 I longed for a dog like George to have adventures with, long walks, bike rides. Now I've just been told that that dog I longed for so much and finally got has got crippling arthritis and dementia. That is likely how Timmy would end up if he got to grow old. Horrible. Isn't is a far nicer thought that he stays forever chasing rabbits and villains around Kirrin Island? And that the four stay carefree children running around with him? The books are escapism from real life, whenever I read them I'm transported back to much happier times knowing everything will come right in the end. If it didn't they wouldn't have the same appeal.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Well, at 16 I was bullied at school, was in a relationship with a guy who was always high, I was self harming and generally pretty miserable. In my 30s I have a job I love, a fiancé who loves me and a child who makes getting up at 6am every day worthwhile. So clearly a happy life doesn't end at 16 for everyone!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

The characters in Enid Blyton will always be happy-- and puttiing wrong things right-- on the side of truth. Fatty and the findouters will always have long bike rides, the secret.sevem.will always have their meetings in Peyer and Janets shed, The famous five.will continue to spend holidays on Kirrin.Island,.The Enchanted.wood, Moonface Saucepan.man,.the Angry pixie -- and the children-- Bessie etc will go on and on forever--
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Fiona1986 wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 09:31 Well, at 16 I was bullied at school, was in a relationship with a guy who was always high, I was self harming and generally pretty miserable. In my 30s I have a job I love, a fiancé who loves me and a child who makes getting up at 6am every day worthwhile. So clearly a happy life doesn't end at 16 for everyone!
There you go then, life's experiences aren't the same for everyone and they shape how you view the world. You weren't happy at 16 so have a totally different thought on it to me, in the same way I've had some awful times the past few years which have unfortunately left a rather negative impression. Not constantly I hasten to add, but there are times and moments where I just think "gosh it's horribly hard work being an adult". Surely everyone gets those days? As a child when you feel crummy you can throw a tantrum and bawl your eyes out. As an adult you can't so you forget your troubles with an Enid Blyton book.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

timv wrote: 11 May 2018, 08:39 I only have a clear idea about Anne, as a junior school teacher until she has children
Anne would have become a domestic science teacher of course, teaching other young girls how to be the perfect cook and house-keeper, which would be useful as none of them would likely have their own domestic servants, given the break-down of the class system.

The she would retire of course the moment she was married and live her perfect life, cleaning, cooking, baking, grocery shopping and making sure she looked wonderful when her husband returned home for a marvellous tea ;)

It's another of Enid's characters I could see becoming a much-loved school-teacher. Elizabeth Allen!
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I don't subscribe to the obsession with wondering what happens to the characters in Enid's books as they grow up. Nothing happens to them. They are immortalized in the stories and that's the only way I want to remember them.
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I tend to agree with John Pickup and have never really bothered much about how they developed in later life
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

It's hardly an obsession to have an idle chat about the possibilities. If you don't enjoy that then why read the thread about it (that's aimed at multiple people, not anyone in particular).
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member