Famous Five continuation novels by Oscar Parra de Carrizosa

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
db105

Famous Five continuation novels by Oscar Parra de Carrizosa

Post by db105 »

After reading one of the Claude Voilier continuation novels, I tried one written in Spanish by Oscar Parra de Carrizosa. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there's no English translation.

Oscar Parra is a Spanish filmmaker who has written three Famous Five continuation books. Unlike Claude Voilier's, which were published professionally, these are just a fan project, published as ebooks in a Spanish Enid Blyton forum.

The book in question is "Un susto para los Cinco" (A Fright for the Five). My expectations were somewhat high, because these books have a reputation for being much more faithful to Enid Blyton's style than the officially-published continuation books.

The book, however, surpassed those expectations. It's nothing like Claude Voilier's books, who didn't even try to reproduce the style and feel of the real Famous Five books. A Fright for the Five was uncanny because of how faithfully it is to Blyton's style. If this had been published as part of the series I wouldn't have suspected.

Like in Five Get into a Fix, the book is set in the Welsh mountains during the winter, although the story is different. The children are going to spend the Christmas holidays together in a mountain hut. We get the typical pre-adventure chapters, with the children playing in the snow, having some mouth-watering meals and exploring their surroundings. The writer has a very good grasp of these characters, and their interaction feels right. We have Dick making some quite funny comments while gently teasing Julian or George, Julian being bossy sometimes and feeling responsible for all of them, George enjoying being with her cousins but getting sulky at some point, and saying Timmy and her will remain in the hut after Julian has decided that they'd better leave, we have Anne taking care of the meals and enjoying it... There's also suitable attention to food and to the fun the children have together before the adventure.

The weather then gets extremely cold and there are some big snow falls. The children are on their own and the closest inhabited place is a farm three kilometers down a very steep mountain road. They see some strange lights up in the mountain, meet a creepy old shepherd and learn of the disappearance of a young man, the son of the owner of the farm, who apparently has had some accident in the cliffs near the coast (even though they are on a mountain, the sea is near enough to be able to get there within a day of walking). They also learn about a dangerous inmate who has escaped from a nearby prison. That night, in the cellar where the wood for the stove is stored, they hear voices, incredibly near, as if there is an underground passage passing right by the cellar.

And so the adventure is on. It has a lot of the familiar elements, secret passages... even a tunnel under the sea towards an island. Also, we have an obvious suspect who turns out to be innocent. That's something Blyton does in several books and I always welcome it, because often her suspects are too obvious. We have a truly dangerous situation when the children are trapped in an underground tunnel being flooded by the rising tide...

In short, a very satisfying adventure written in a style that could pass for Enid Blyton's. I can't ask anything more from a continuation novel. Great job by this fan author. This is clearly a labour of love, done very well.
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Famous Five continuation novels by Oscar Parra de Carriz

Post by Daisy »

I wonder if this is our "Oscar Spain" who came to an Enid Blyton Day some years ago (something like 2009 I think). He last visited these forums nearly 2 years ago.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
db105

Post by db105 »

I think so. I searched the forum to see if there was a thread about these books, and found the author introducing himself in this thread:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... 59&p=45138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Thanks db105... yes, it is definitely him. It was a delight to meet him, he was so enthusiastic about everything and was thrilled to be introduced to Imogen, Enid's younger daughter.

Society Member
mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

That sounds thrilling. I wish there were English translations.
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The book sounds interesting, db105. Like Daisy, I remember meeting Oscar at an Enid Blyton Day.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I remember his girl friend better.
Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Trust you Nigel... but I remember her too - a charming girl.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

She certainly charmed me, Daisy.
Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

:) :) :lol: Nigel.

Society Member
Oscar Spain
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Julian (F.F.)

Post by Oscar Spain »

Hi! What a thrill to find this message! Yes, I have written three books of the Famous Five, I wonder, do we translate them into English????
Here in Spain they are already well known. Also, I'm writing another book.
I send a big hug to everyone!
What do you think about?
Oscar P.
Film director / Writer / Medical Student
http://www.delcinealhospital.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Thank you for your greetings Oscar and congratulations on writing your stories which sound very good. It would be good to read an English translation.

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

I’d definitely be interested in reading them :D
Society Member
Oscar Spain

Post by Oscar Spain »

How can we do it?
Unfortunately my English, obviously, is too poor to make a good translation. What do you think if we try to translate the first chapter?
I can put the translation here (or the closest thing to the translation) and you improve it to bring it closer to the original Blyton style.
Oscar P.
Oscar Spain

Post by Oscar Spain »

FIRST CHAPTER

CHRISTMAS IN WALES

- We're going to have a great time! It really has been a crushing idea to spend Christmas in Wales, do not you think? Said Dick, sitting in the backseat of his parents' car.
Julian, his older brother, nodded as he enjoyed the snowy mountain landscape the car was passing through at that time.
"Uncle Quentin told Mom that Jorge and Tim would arrive today in the morning, so they should be there already," said Ana, the younger sister of Julian and Dick.
Tim was Jorge's beloved dog, the animal had an extremely long tail that rarely stopped moving. Jorge had found him when he was a puppy, lost in the moors that stretched for miles around Kirrin.
- Dad, how long are we going to be in the mountains? Julian asked.
- Ten days, Julian. Mom and I can only go with you today, tomorrow we go back to London, "explained the father of the boys. Unfortunately, this year we will not be together at Christmas. I have issues to attend in Spain and mom has decided to come with me.
- Oh, but that's terrible! Ana exclaimed. Is not there any chance you're here at Christmas?
"Do not be silly," said Dick. Christmas is in five days. Do not worry, we'll manage well.
"I do not doubt it," his mother said, smiling. We will write to you as soon as possible. And you do not put that face, Ana, I promise you that we will celebrate the New Year in style.
- Bah! Do not take it into account, mom, "Julian said. Actually, she is delighted to spend these days with us and with Jorge and old Tim. Is not that so, Ana?
Ana nodded with a smile.
- How much is left? Dick asked, looking again through the window of the vehicle.
"A couple of hours, I do not think any more," replied Mr. Kirrin without taking his eyes off the narrow road they were circling at the moment.
Truly the landscape that ran on both sides of it was wonderful. A snowy blanket, only sprinkled with huge pine forests, covered the ground. In the distance, on the side of the imposing Welsh mountains, small houses were glimpsed from whose chimneys a grayish smoke emerged.
- How is the house we're going to? Dick asked again.
"According to Mrs. Peterson, this is a cabin in the middle of the mountain. You have sleds, firewood and a freshly stocked pantry so you do not miss anything, "explained the boys' mother. Of course, Ana will have to take care of the kitchen, because you and Jorge would be able to be without eating a hot dish all these days.
- Of course! Ana exclaimed, delighted at the prospect of taking over an entire house. I'll prepare warm broths and that bacon pie you've taught me to make, mom.
- And water-boiled eggs with bacon and canned tomatoes! Said Dick, who was especially pleased at the prospect.
Everyone laughed heartily at Dick's words. Certainly, there was a general atmosphere of contentment.
The sun began to hide behind the mountains giving rise to a unique spectacle. The crepuscular light dyed the white snow a pink hue, which contrasted with the orange reflections of the sun on the horizon. In a few minutes, he hid and the darkness hovered over the landscape.
- Look, it's snowing! Anna shouted excitedly, giving a start to her two brothers, who had fallen asleep. Oh, this is beautiful! True?
Sure enough, heavy snowflakes had begun to fall, making it a little more difficult to circulate. Mr. Kirrin lit the powerful lights of the vehicle, for the road was barely distinguishable because of the copious snowfall.
-Thank God we're half an hour away from destiny. Despite its beauty, it is not good to circulate with such a snowfall, "said the man, more attentive than ever to driving.
Now the car began the descent down a mountain road full of curves. The temperature outside should be extremely low, but fortunately, the vehicle had excellent heating, which made the children and the mother of them end up falling asleep.
Twenty minutes later, finally, the car stopped, causing everyone to wake up almost at the same time.
- End of the journey, family Kirrin! Exclaimed the father, proud and glad that he had been able to arrive safely at this lonely spot.
The boys shouted excitedly. They had finally arrived!
Mr. Kirrin parked his vehicle in the door of the shed, next to another dark car whose roof and windshields were already completely covered by snow.
The site was really lovely. They were in the middle of the mountain. A wooden cabin with a window on each side of the door and on the black roof a tiny chimney protruding from which emerged a greyish column of smoke. Next to the cabin there was a shed that must have been used as storage room or storage room.
- It smells like firewood a, bonfire! Dick exclaimed, sucking hard as soon as he got out of the car.

(This is part of the chapter one)
Oscar P.