Updating the Books

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pipaluk792

Updating the Books

Post by pipaluk792 »

Hi, I'm the new girls pipaluk792! :oops:
I was recently reading through a copy of the daily mail when I found an article telling me that the Editors were updating Enid Blytons books. :(
At this I was upste because i have been reading her books of two thirds of my life, and still enjoy them.
So with my English teacher behind me I started a petition. I recived over one hundred signitures and this was from pupils, between the ages of 11 to 18. I have been unsuccessful in finding the ediotr to send this petition though and was wondering wheather anyone had any ideas.
thanks
Pipaluk
I am a year 11 student at Waingel College Reading. I've been reading Enid blyton for over ten years and Love writing stories.
Julian
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Famous Five/St Clare's/Wishing Chair
Favourite character: Julian/Janet/Carlotta

Post by Julian »

:lol: :D :P :) Pipaluk, welcome to the forums! Yes, the publishers indeed are updating Blyton's texts and I disagree with this! Hope you have a nice time! :D :D :D :D

• ♥♣ Møh@mð Hä§åÑ♥♣
Thanks to Nigel for my avatar! :)
Tony Summerfield

Your Petition

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Although you sent me an email as well, I thought I would answer your petition question here so that others could also read it. As is often the case, the many journalists who wrote about this all got their facts badly wrong. It is water under the bridge as the text changes have already been made and furthermore this was done about ten years ago.

One journalist obviously noticed this and all the others jumped on the bandwagon and incorrectly assumed that changes were about to be made. If you want to send your petition to anyone I suggest you send it to Chorion who are the copyright holders and would have to approve of any changes that were made by the various different publishers, however it is most unlikely that the damage will be put right after all these years.

Best wishes
Tony
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

i think this issue is a serius issue.i think this society(i'm not sure whether this society has taken proactive solution to overcome this) have to stand up and voice our concern about this matter by using all kind of ways this society can think of.

it is an insult to us.i suppose the publishers think it's permissable act coz they dont consider blytons' works as literature.they think no one will bother. :cry:
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I am getting increasingly cross about this - it is costing me business! Frequently people are coming into Ginger Pop, asking about text changes, and on recieving an honest answer then mutter something about e-bay and walk out.

Does anyone belong to the Consumers Association? (Or similar?) I think that this is a consumer issue, because if I set out to buy a Blyton book, I want it to be written by Blyton. By how much canyou change an authors work and still put their name on the cover?

Pippaluk (I think that was the name of a Polar Bear at London Zoo!) Have a look at my website - it gives you all the names & addresses you need.

http://www.gingerpop.co.uk/savefamousfive.htm

Best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Julian
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Famous Five/St Clare's/Wishing Chair
Favourite character: Julian/Janet/Carlotta

Post by Julian »

Dear Viv of Ginger Pop,

I have a written a magazine article about Enid Blyton as you said on your website! And it is published to my delight!! I will providing the scans of the article as soon as I get time!
  • ♥♣ Møh@mð Hä§åÑ♥♣
Thanks to Nigel for my avatar! :)
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Re: Updating the Books

Post by Pippa-Stef »

pipaluk792 wrote:Hi, I'm the new girls pipaluk792! :oops:
I was recently reading through a copy of the daily mail when I found an article telling me that the Editors were updating Enid Blytons books. :(
At this I was upste because i have been reading her books of two thirds of my life, and still enjoy them.
So with my English teacher behind me I started a petition. I recived over one hundred signitures and this was from pupils, between the ages of 11 to 18. I have been unsuccessful in finding the ediotr to send this petition though and was wondering wheather anyone had any ideas.
thanks
Pipaluk

This is me!!! I'd forgotten about this!

Oh gosh!!! :oops: :D

I still have the petition, copies of course.

I swear I'm telling the truth! Honest!

Pippa-Stef! (Embarrassed to say the least!)lol
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Pippa-Stef wrote:

I swear I'm telling the truth! Honest!

Pippa-Stef! (Embarrassed to say the least!)lol
Hee Hee thats Ok we believe you. :D And Pippa-Stef is a much better name than Pipaluk792. Did you ever send off the petition?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Did you send the original petition to Chorion?

They told me that some of the correspondence was written in very un-Blytonian language! :shock:

Viv
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Yes I did, One to the new publishers of St Clares and Malory Towers, and I never got an address to send to anyone at the Chlorian!

I still have it, but as Tony said
Tony Summerfield wrote: If you want to send your petition to anyone I suggest you send it to Chorion who are the copyright holders and would have to approve of any changes that were made by the various different publishers, however it is most unlikely that the damage will be put right after all these years.
And I'm inclined to believe him. I was a more naiive two years ago and I thought I could change the world! :D It's a nice feeling!

I still have the petition, and should at least send it off to the Chlorian, even at this late stage.

On another note, it was heart warming that so many teens in my school shared my shock, because them, like me, grew up on Enid Blyton.
I'm saddened to say, some just laughed at me!- But I held My head high- Like Julian I guess, and ploughed on!

I would appericate any ideas on this!

Pippa-Stef
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:Did you send the original petition to Chorion?

They told me that some of the correspondence was written in very un-Blytonian language! :shock:

Viv
I wouldn't know about that! All i asked my peers to do was to write their name, favourite series and I think their age.

Unless it came from someone else's petiton! :!:

:D

Pippa-Stef

Viv of Ginger Pop

We shall never know whether the unknown number of letters and petitions to "Save the Famous Five" ever had any effect on Chorion. There are those that like to believe that ordinary people, especially children, can have no effect on what happens in the business world.

What I do know is that the response was strong and even now the employees there are well aware that a campaign happened. Of course they will say that it hasn't affected company policy (company directors can play politics as well as any politician) but the goal was achieved - FF are still in print and will continue to be so after the cartoon series comes out.

In raising the profile of the series a lot of adults came to see what the series meant to them, and Chorion got to see the potential of the nostalgia market.

Viv
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:We shall never know whether the unknown number of letters and petitions to "Save the Famous Five" ever had any effect on Chorion. There are those that like to believe that ordinary people, especially children, can have no effect on what happens in the business world.

What I do know is that the response was strong and even now the employees there are well aware that a campaign happened. Of course they will say that it hasn't affected company policy (company directors can play politics as well as any politician) but the goal was achieved - FF are still in print and will continue to be so after the cartoon series comes out.

In raising the profile of the series a lot of adults came to see what the series meant to them, and Chorion got to see the potential of the nostalgia market.

Viv
I see what you're saying. Businessmen are very un likely to be moved by Childern's pleas. It's more how they know they can make money out of the Nostalgic Adult market who have loved their books since they heard them on their mother's knee, If you like. And of course in turn the books will be read to their children and the Magic of Enid and other authors will be passed down through the generations, which should keep them in print.

I know that when I go to Uni, I will need to take my Blyton's with me! They are a part of me! I couldn't go anywhere without them! :D