Island of Adventure 'retro' hardback edition 2014

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

Island of Adventure 'retro' hardback edition 2014

Post by Paul Greaves »

I notice on Amazon.co.uk that this is coming out in October. I hope this is the original text and the first in a complete set of deluxe re-issues. I notice all the info text refers to a now unavailable edition... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Island-Adventur ... nid+blyton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also see that the whole set is being re-issued in July 2014 in paperback. No covers yet though...
Last edited by Paul Greaves on 10 Mar 2014, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Island of Adventure "retro" re-issue

Post by Poppy »

Wow - those will be lovely! In the description, it does say the book is 'unabridged', but then, my recent version of that book states that the text is 'the original adventure series by Enid Blyton', but you never know. It would be wonderful for there to be books containing original text available of the wonderful Island of Adventure - and hopefully the rest of the series, too!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
yarvelling
Favourite book/series: Adventure, FF, and Barney/R series
Favourite character: Loony and Kiki

Post by yarvelling »

This looks very interesting! :)
I wonder if the illustration as shown is merely a 'stock' placeholder, or whether the book will released as it was originally with that image embossed into the cover under a dustwrapper! Probably too much to hope for! ;)
I hope too that the text is the original, unaltered text of the original, but having recently purchased the Kindle version, I was pleased to note that the main bulk of the text is exactly as was originally written; only references to Jo-Jo and the odd use of 'gay' and 'queer' have been changed to something more modern - I think it's now 'bright/cheerful', and 'strange'. None of the awful dumbing down of passages and the simplifying that has happened with at least some of the FF books.
I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this one!! :)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It's not due out until October, yet has this review:

5.0 out of 5 stars Enid blyton, 3 Feb 2013
By S. Vincent (England) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: The Island of Adventure (Hardcover)
This book completes my collection so now have the entire set. Arrived promptly, excellent condition for a used book-just what I wanted and have been looking for for some time. Price perfect

How queer. He also says it's used....
Society Member
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

Post by Paul Greaves »

Yes, that review was from a year go though. I have noticed that in recent months if there is a previous edition of the book/DVD listed then Amazon have a tendency to link reviews from a previous edition, just to raise the star rating on the item from zero to, well, anything higher than zero :)

I've done a quick online check and Waterstones and Amazon.com are listing it as a 70th Anniversary edition hardback along with many other online retailers.

The PanMacmillan website has a link to it on their site map but it doesn't go anywhere. Yet...
This is not a huge surprise, as publishers are generally required by retailers like Amazon and the book wholesalers to give product information six months in advance of publication. Sometimes this is before their own websites are updated! http://www.panmacmillan.com/Product-Sitemap?letter=i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Paul Greaves on 10 Mar 2014, 17:12, edited 3 times in total.
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It looks just like my original book. About time they started to reprint the books looking like they did when they first came out. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I am very happy to know this. I hope they will publish the rest of the titles in the series and other series as well with the illustrations of the first edition dustwrappers in hardbacks. :D
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I wonder whether the illustration of the book shows it with a dustjacket or whether it has printed boards as did the original. I shall look out for this one when it is published.
Society Member
kikifan

The Island of Adventure new hardback edition

Post by kikifan »

Panmacmillan have issued a new hardback edition of The Island of Adventure. It contains the origional illustrations but there are subtle changes to the text. Nothing drastic just the odd word here and there.
e.g. Joe's face is discribed as "lined" instead of "black". Slightly smaller insize than the origional.
There is no dustjacket and the cover has a new design. It is reminiscent of the Arthur Ransome hardback books available. Anyway not for the purist but if you want a nice hardback copy with the origional illustrations at a very reasonable price you can't go wrong
Here's what it looks like
http://www.bookdepository.com/Island-Ad ... rrency=GBP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: The Island of Adventure new hardback edition

Post by Fiona1986 »

I would say that if the text reads "Joe," that's more than a subtle change.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

That does look like a very nice edition, but for around £10 you can probably pick up an early impression of the original book, in fairly reasonable condition, which contains not only the original illustrations but the original text too. Still if it attracts a new generation of fans I suppose it can't be all bad. 8)
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I don't like the cover at all. You can't beat the original, I'm afraid. And as Fiona says, Joe is more than a subtle change.
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Ooh - I really like that front cover... It looks a lovely book: just a shame that it does contain the edited text.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I wonder what would happen if they released the book in it's original form,text,illustrations & dust jacket?
Would they be breaking the law?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Don't be fooled by this, it is a new book which has only just been published!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Island-Adventur ... 384&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have already put it in the Cave!

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... +Adventure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;