Mystery of the Secret Room...why is it rather unpopular?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Mystery of the Secret Room...why is it rather unpopular?

Post by Chrissie777 »

Fiona1986 wrote:Another mystery solved by the Friendly Forumites.
:D :D :D
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
katrina10

Post by katrina10 »

The Secret Room was the second book I read in that series and I quite liked it. I haven't heard anything negative about it but then again I only just joined the forum :)
Nicko
Favourite book/series: The Five-Find Outers, The Adventure Series

Post by Nicko »

I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere else on the forum (although it probably has been) so thought I would ask here.

In the 1980s editions of this book that I read as a child Pip asks on the first page, 'When are the things coming?' 'Things' meaning Larry, Daisy and Fatty.

The modern edition that I looked at today has been revised/corrected to, 'When are the others coming?'

Does anyone know if in the original Methuen edition it is 'things' and that this was an EB error? Or was it a mistake the publishers made in the 1980s?
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

"Others" in my Methuen first edition.
Society Member
Nicko

Post by Nicko »

Thanks. Rather slack of the publishers to have made that mistake in the 80s...
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I always remember that slip. I used to find it very funny at the age I was at the time.
It is in my 1966 Dragon second reprint, not sure if it means it was later than 66 then, maybe 70.
Anyway, it seems it survived for a while, but the old versions are correct as I found out much later when I obtained a hardback.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

It's still "others" in the 1954 8th reprint.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Nicko

Post by Nicko »

Another query about a possible revision in this book...

My memory is that in the original edition when Fatty is caught he is punched on the ear so that he sees stars?

However, in the current edition is states:

'Quite suddenly, without any warning, the thin-lipped man put his hands round Fatty's neck. Fatty gasped. The hands clenched him tightly, and almost choked him.'

Is my memory playing tricks or is this a new revision?

It seems a strange one as half-choking someone doesn't seem much less violent than punching someone on the ear.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

You are right Nicko. Fatty receives a blow on his right ear as you say and after another on his left ear, he does see stars. No mention of hands round the throat.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Personally I would have said that choking someone is far more violent and far less acceptable than boxing their ears. I never will get the hang of these revisions. :?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Boxing ears can perforate the ear drums.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I suppose someone pointed out that hitting someone on the head can cause serious injury - as Chrissie says. Choking I presume is relatively safe! :shock:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Lucky Star wrote:Personally I would have said that choking someone is far more violent and far less acceptable than boxing their ears. I never will get the hang of these revisions. :?
Boxing ears can perforate the ear drums.
Choking can KILL! :?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Boxing the ears is probably worse in usual circumstances, because the damage may occur instantly, without warning. Death by choking is probably not going to happen without some warning in the form of distressing signs, and if the man didn't really intend to kill Fatty by choking him (intending it merely as intimidation), he would stop choking well before distressing signs started.
     But the whole revisionist thing is silly anyway, regardless of whether you consider ear-boxing or choking to be worse: it is based on the false premise that anything characters do in a work of fiction is somehow being endorsed or at least tolerated by the author - which is clear nonsense. Just because a character in an Enid Blyton story boxes someone on the ear (or starts choking them), it doesn't mean that she is approving of this behaviour. It would be almost impossible to write most works of fiction if authors could never depict behaviour that they, or society generally, don't approve of.
     If editors understood this simple truth (I can only presume that they don't), then surely it would not be seen as necessary to "revise" the books at all. I regard political correctness as a mortal enemy of effective fiction-writing.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I like your comments Michael. I've just been reading The Enchanted Wood, and there's a bit in there about the children going off with the Saucepan Man. Their mother thinks he's a little unusual, but lets them go. Reading it to my 7 year old I suddenly realised that if taken as a true story rather than just a work of fiction that it was totally inappropriate. What right thinking mother would let her children go off with a total stranger? Yet the mother in these books doesn't bat an eyelid when the three of them (all presumably about junior school age?) go off for hours on end to meet up with people she either doesn't even know, or thinks are a little strange.

If children were only allowed to read books that were completely in keeping with real life, I feel the world of literature would be very boring.
Society Member