Five Find-Outers & Dog Standout Moments

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anjalli
Favourite book/series: Find Outers, Famous Five, Secret, Adventure series
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack, George, Barney, Darrell, Bets, Dinah.

Re: Five Find-Outers & Dog Standout Moments

Post by Anjalli »

Most of my stand outs have been mentioned already. I did try the key on a paper under the door trick and it worked, we had a door leading to the landing with no carpet, so it worked there. Also tried the invisible writing with the lemon juice and ironed it, that worked too. I was so excited and wrote a lot of secret notes :)

1) The mystery of the Burnt Cottage.
When Bets had seen the tramp sleeping against the hay rick and came back and told the others. They all went to try and see if they could see the soles of his shoes. Larry bent down to the ground to see and the tramp woke up, saw him and wanted to know why he was doing that. Said something to the effect "Think I am the King of England, kneeling in front of me with your head on the ground ". They heard Mr. Good coming along so they hid on top of the hay rick. Mr. Goon did the same, the tramp woke up again and saw him and wanted to know what was going on again. Mr. Good said he wanted to see the soles of his shoes, tramp got more madder and said show me your buttons". I could not stop laughing.

2) The mystery of the Disappearing Cat.
When Fatty put the clues in the cat cage and Tupping found them and gave them to Mr. Goon. Fatty had kept one of each clue for themselves. Inspector Jenks was going to go through their area, so he was invited to a picnic by the Five. Mr. Goon saw them with picnic baskets and thought they were taking food for Luke, as they told him they were going on a picnic with a friend. He followed them and was deathly surprised when he saw the Inspector with them, after saying he was going to get his hands on "you know who". The Inspector asked him how he was doing with the case so far and he showed him the 'clues' Fatty had left in the cat house. Fatty took out his duplicate "clues" and showed them to the Inspector as well. Mr. Good was floored. (I could imagine Mr. Goon's perplexity at that point but it was funny too).

3) The mystery of the Spiteful Letters.
When Fatty disguised himself to get samples of writing/printing from Old Nosey, Mrs. Moon and Ms. Tittle.

4) The mystery of the Hidden House.
When Fatty disguised himself as a woman with a red shawl and went to Mr. Goon's house to make a complaint. She was very voluble and had a lot of complaints, Mr. Goon told her to go and put it in writing. He got fed up after she still knocked on the door, so he sent Ern. Fatty poked Ern in the chest and gave him a note, and in his voice told him to tell him to go. Ern was so surprised but did it. His worship of Fatty went up a lot of notches.

5) The mystery of the Invisible Thief.
When Fatty was disguised as a tramp and went to see Colonel Cross about his shoes, he got a pair with the threads that looked like the ones they were looking for. In return, he weeded a bed in the garden. Mr. Good came along, looked over the wall and saw him weeding, he could not believe it (they had a run in before) and asked him what he was doing. Unfortunately he woke up the Colonel and he thought Mr. Goon was speaking to him, it was hilarious.

6) The mystery of the Strange Bundle.
When the Five needed to know where Mr. Fellows went running to. Fatty disguised himself and went to question the night watchmen if they had seen his Uncle Horatius, the one who wore pyjamas, red slippers and sleep walk. When he was asking the second watchmen, he did see someone and told Fatty . As Fatty was leaving he heard Mr. Goon asking the same question, Willie the night watchmen asked Mr. Goon if he was looing too for an Uncle who sleepwalk. Mr. Goon was so astonished but he suspected Fatty was the one asking the questions.

7) The mystery of the Missing Man.
When the Five went to the flea circus and took the bus. Fatty was disguised as someone who was looking for a job, they did not recognize him of course.

8) The mystery of the Strange Messages.

When Fatty helped the Smith's - Mr. Smith went to the hospital and Fatty spoke to his mom about Mrs. Smith, she came to stay with them and helped - she was a brave woman. Ern helped a lot too, and I felt that Fatty's mom was very compassionate.

9) The mystery of Tally-Ho Cottage.
When Fatty disguised himself as an Eastern student and went to check out Tally-Ho, Larkin saw him and asked him his name, Fatty told him he was Mr. HoHo-Ha from Bong Castle, India. Larkin even wrote it down in his notebook.

10) The mystery of Banshee Towers.
When Ern was looking at the sea pictures and was so lost in them - and also when he noticed the little boat was gone from the picture. Hence the starting of the mystery.

Still read them ever so often and totally enjoy them, just like when i was younger. Although i know the plot, i still feel the suspense in the build up as the story goes along, till it ends.
The Chief looked at Fatty. "Brains are good, courage is excellent, resourcefulness is rare," he said, "but generosity crowns everything, Frederick. One of these days I'll be proud of you!" - "Vanished Prince".
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

I sadly only have a kindle version of the Vanished Prince - I must buy a proper version with piccies so I hadn't seen that marvellous picture of the prams at the twins show. So thanks Pete.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

In fact reading all these stand out moments makes me want to read many of them again. I think the humour in the FFO books are the best - in terms of EB's book for humour. There are funny moments in the Famous Five and particularly with Snubby in the Barney mysteries but the FFO books top them all.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Anjalli wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 20:10
2) The mystery of the Disappearing Cat.
When Fatty put the clues in the cat cage and Tupping found them and gave them to Mr. Goon. Fatty had kept one of each clue for themselves. Inspector Jenks was going to go through their area, so he was invited to a picnic by the Five. Mr. Goon saw them with picnic baskets and thought they were taking food for Luke, as they told him they were going on a picnic with a friend. He followed them and was deathly surprised when he saw the Inspector with them, after saying he was going to get his hands on "you know who". The Inspector asked him how he was doing with the case so far and he showed him the 'clues' Fatty had left in the cat house. Fatty took out his duplicate "clues" and showed them to the Inspector as well. Mr. Good was floored. (I could imagine Mr. Goon's perplexity at that point but it was funny too).
I'd forgotten all about that until you mentioned it, Anjalli! It's a brilliant moment, as are so many of the other scenes people have picked out.

Anjalli wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 20:10Still read them ever so often and totally enjoy them, just like when i was younger. Although i know the plot, i still feel the suspense in the build up as the story goes along, till it ends.
Yes, the Find-Outers books are still very enjoyable to read even when the solutions to the mysteries are already known. It's fun to see how things are gradually built up, with subtle clues thrown in, and the characters and situations are hugely appealing. Enid Blyton's own enjoyment shines through - she obviously had great fun thinking up the mysteries and adding all the quirky, ingenious touches that make the books so special.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

My stand-out moment of the Find Outers series for comedy is in Tally Ho Cottage - a very atmospheric book that seems to convey the autumnal mood and dark evenings of Bonfire Night ( 5 November) very well, which the illustrations back up. The comic moment comes when Fatty is checking up on the Lorenzos' house for where the missing picture might be hidden disguised as old Mr Larkin and is aware that Mr Goon is following him -having already provided some comedy by sitting on the children's playground swings for a swing, dressed as the old caretaker, so the policeman thinks that Mr Larkin is doing this. Fatty bumps into the 'real' (supposedly) Mr Larkin as he is crossing the Lorenzos' garden, and they are sprawling on the ground as Mr Goon arrives - leading to the nosy policeman flashing his torch on two 'Mr Larkins' sitting next to each other. He thinks that he is seeing things and his overworking has affected his eyesight and runs off!

Logically a more alert PC would have stayed to find out what was going on, but Goon is there in Enid's storyline for the comedy - and this episode has elements of a theatrical farce in it. As usual, the comedy keeps the series from being too 'dark', as appropriate for younger readers - as with another night-time episode that stands out for me, when Fatty is attacked by the mysterious Burmese visitors while rummaging around Fairlin Hall in Strange Messages and is locked in a cellar bur Ern rescues him and scares off the intruders with 'ghostly' noises with pots and pans. That episode is arguably Ern's finest moment, given the real danger from the ruthless if not very competent crooks - but ends in farce too, with the latter falling down a hole into the cellar.
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I was just about to say that my standout comic moment of the Find Outers series is when Fatty disguises himself as Bob Larkin in The Mystery of Tally Ho Cottage and then meets who he thinks is the real caretaker while being followed by PC Goon, but timv beat me to it! That encounter also gave a clue to the real situation!!! I also enjoyed some of the dialogues in "Invisible Thief".
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

timv wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 09:13 My stand-out moment of the Find Outers series for comedy is in Tally Ho Cottage - a very atmospheric book that seems to convey the autumnal mood and dark evenings of Bonfire Night ( 5 November) very well, which the illustrations back up.
I think it's set just after Christmas though, isn't it? The children (except Bets, assuming she still attends a day school at this point) would be away at boarding school on Bonfire Night. I do like the wintry mysteries though, as the darkness and fog add to the sinister atmosphere. And yes, the "two Larkins" scene is a classic!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Irene Malory Towers wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 23:31 In fact reading all these stand out moments makes me want to read many of them again.
Exactly what I was thinking!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 19:20 I think it's set just after Christmas though, isn't it? The children (except Bets, assuming she still attends a day school at this point) would be away at boarding school on Bonfire Night. I do like the wintry mysteries though, as the darkness and fog add to the sinister atmosphere. And yes, the "two Larkins" scene is a classic!
Good point - although the cover depicts a bonfire - I can't remember from memory, but perhaps a 'gardener's' bonfire appeared in the plot.

Edit:

I've just looked at my copy and it starts during the Christmas holidays, but after Christmas Day, probably early January :
"I can't think why Fatty had to go off to Switzerland for a whole fortnight, and be away all Christmas time," complained Bets
I had a quick flip through but could find no reference to a bonfire, though.
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

If memory serves me correctly the fire was an attempt to burn the crate and frame that had contained the painting.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I think memory serves you well, Boodi.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Boodi 2 wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 15:52 If memory serves me correctly the fire was an attempt to burn the crate and frame that had contained the painting.
Yes this is correct. It's a great book.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

When Fatty was discovered hiding in the waxworks exhibition in The Mystery Of The Missing Necklace, why did the gang not check all the waxworks in case there was more than one spy rather than assuming that Fatty was alone?
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Yes-- Barnard-- is right-- if the gang at Waxworks had searched for more spies they could have caugjt Goon. On the other hand, they had flashed their torches on the waxworks in the first row- and none.of them flinched-- Fatty's blinking eyes gave him.away--
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Irene Malory Towers wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 23:28 I sadly only have a kindle version of the Vanished Prince - I must buy a proper version with piccies so I hadn't seen that marvellous picture of the prams at the twins show. So thanks Pete.
Most of my books don't have the pictures so I go to the Cave to see them. Of course it's better to have books with pictures but the Cave is great if you don't have/can't get them.
Society Member