Finniston Farm: really quite poor

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Finniston Farm: really quite poor

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Wolfgang - poor Junior! :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Thanks for posting the extract on the forums, Wolfgang. I thought the diary was meant to make us feel sympathy for Junior but I can't say I do! In this passage he sounds lazy, boring and self-pitying.
I suppose you are looking at it from an adult's point of view, Anita ;-).
I personally can understand if a child dislikes being dragged along to places it's not interested in at all, not liking to help in the household and being terrified by a large dog that's dragging it out of a bed by force.
It doesn't mean your estimation of him is wrong, you just put another emphasis :-).

Of course Junior was great in becoming unpopular on the farm, frightening animals, damaging property and the like.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

You may be right that I'm looking at things from an adult's point of view, Wolfgang. However, even as a child I'd have had a different attitude from Junior and wouldn't have made a nuisance of myself as he does. I sometimes got dragged along to places I didn't like but I used to take a few books with me, and perhaps a pad and pens/pencils for writing or drawing, so I could always occupy myself and never felt bored for long.

Like Junior, I also experienced situations where I felt I wasn't welcome. Unlike him I would try to join in, even with tasks that didn't appeal to me such as washing-up, because that would be a step towards being accepted and perhaps forming friendships which would make everything more fun. If Junior showed that he could be responsible and muck in with everyone else, his hosts would be more likely to let him get involved with the farm rather than driving him away.

George does treat Junior badly in the "breakfast in bed" episode but it has to be said that he brings incidents like that on himself through his general rudeness and unpleasantness - none of which he admits to in the diary extract.

So yes, I'm still struggling to feel any sympathy for Junior! Even though the diary entry doesn't reveal all the negative aspects of his character that are shown in the book, he still comes across as indolent, selfish and lacking in verve or initiative.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

You're probably spot on, Anita :-).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Awww...I feel like starting a 'Junior Appreciation Society' - but I think I'd be the only member! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I often used to wonder how I would have got on with the famous Five if I had met them when I was a youngster.

I got the feeling that they patronised the lower orders (Sid) when it suited them and befriended people if they had acquisitions (Tinker's lighthouse) that they fancied visiting.

For balance, they were quite decent to that artistic kid ( Martin?) in book six and also Nobby in book five - perhaps because he could give them behind the scene access to the travelling circus.

Friendship with the Five seems easier if you express indifference to them (Two Harries) Finniston Farm - or the other two twins (Guy & Harry??) in Secret Trail.

When younger I was gregarious and also a bit of a loner too - I feel an natural affinity towards Dick's personality.
Julian may have won my respect or my irritation - not sure which!

Never like stroking other peoples dogs without first asking their permission so this may have won a few brownie points with George.

Anne seems ok - could have helped her with all the washing up or domestic chores like keeping Kirrin Island's cave tidy!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I don't think I would have got on well with the Famous Five, or the Adventure children - although somehow I have always felt I would be okay with Roger, Dinah, Barney and Snubby! :-D

The Five, and the Adventure children seem to be very judgemental and snobby - hierarchical. They wouldn't have liked me as a kid, because they tended not to like kids who weren't sporty, or who were quiet and 'scholarly' - preferring reading and painting and writing and making things to playing games and sports. They would have made fun of my Brummie accent, and would probably have thought I was rather far below them!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Wolfgang wrote:You're probably spot on, Anita :-).
I was only stating my personal feelings :wink: - I don't see it as a matter of right or wrong! :) I actually find it very interesting that material was written from Junior's point of view, for use in schools. If I'd been exposed to the diary as a child I doubt it would have made me think again about Junior but it may have made me consider more deeply the general behaviour of Julian, Dick, Anne and George.
pete9012S wrote:For balance, they were quite decent to that artistic kid ( Martin?) in book six and also Nobby in book five - perhaps because he could give them behind the scene access to the travelling circus.
I warmed to Nobby at once when I read Five Go Off in a Caravan because he seemed so friendly and genuine, and I've always thought that the Five felt an immediate affinity with him too. Of course, belonging to a circus and spending time in the company of an elephant, a chimpanzee and a couple of dogs would have done him no harm when it came to making friends!

The Adventure children were the characters I really longed to befriend when I was a child. I didn't identify quite as strongly with the Five and I'm sure that George in particular wouldn't have given me the time of day once she learnt I was allergic to dogs!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member