Five Go Adventuring Again

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Five Go Adventuring Again

Post by pete9012S »

Another sublime 1967 cover picture by Betty Maxey was the one she did for the book immediately after ; 'Run Away Together'.

Look at the way she frames the picture so we see it through the ruins of Kirrin Castle.
The grass is lush,deep and green,slightly unkempt,although obviously nibbled by friendly rabbits.
The colours of the figures are warm and generous.One sky blue with hints of white swirls and the second a much more lively burnt orange and green hued short wearing figure.

The background sky is white/cream allowing the detail and focus of the brickwork and stonework of the castle wall at the rear of the scene to really be viewed in all its crumbling,decaying glory.

Notice the light and shade on the brickwork to the right of the arch we see the scene through. Bricks are surrounded by cream mortar/render were the light bounces of the walls and hits them whilst casting darker shadows elsewhere in the stonework.

The way the boys carry the chest...typical of young men showing their strength. No need to use two hands to carry the box when one will do - suggesting that possibly real life models were used as a basis for the initial background,preparatory work for the finished scene..

The lovely red banner at the top of the page draws the eye into the book - red being one of the colours that excites,delights and enhances the synaptic cortex,no matter what context it is placed in.

Casually looking at the cover we think..whats in the box? were are they taking it? what's going on? We want to know the answers to these important questions and only buying and reading the book will tell us...

Showing clearly that the cover of the book easily and adequately achieves it purpose..
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

One colour you didn't mention was purple, Pete, but it's there in your prose! :lol: :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:One colour you didn't mention was purple, Pete, but it's there in your prose! :lol: :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, though - yes, the framing through the castle arch is a nice touch, but that's about it for me with this one. Maxey's drawings (both covers and interior illustrations) just don't seem to have any great sense of depth to them. They're flat - in more than one sense. :|

Both Eileen Soper's covers for Five Run Away Together have so much more going for them, to me. Interesting how different they are - I'm not sure which I like better:

- but for me they both capture a much greater sense of excitement, suspense, and impending action. We're drawn into the scene by the characters, the way they're facing or pointing. There's a real feeling of "What's going to happen next?" that I just don't get from any of the Maxey covers.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I love Eileen & Betty's work equally as the joining together of their work clearly shows they both have their respective artistic merits.
However,I think I am possibly the only person in the whole of the world who loves both artists equally.. :shock:

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

However,I think I am possibly the only person in the whole of the world who loves both artists equally..
Oh, it isn't only your love of Maxey that makes you unique, Pete. 8)
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Have the 1970's series actors expressed any preference as to the illustrations that pepper the versions of the books from the late 1970's?

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

After looking through the Famous Five Betty Maxey cover designs, I definitely think Maxey was more talented with the black and white sketches internal illustrations. Most of the front covers are just smudges of mismatched colour in my opinion. Hardly any skill visible at all. There's the odd strong picture such as the Five on a Treasure Island one - beautiful portrayal of that particular scene. I love the colour, technique, and skill - all praising each other to produce a lovely summer outlook. Eileen Soper has a great talent for the front covers - she includes everything from detail and colour to technique and skill. So much effort compared to the Maxey ones.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

When you grew up with them and salivated impatiently for your kind relatives to buy you your next Famous Five fix,you could forgive the artist a thousand times over to get your hands on the exciting new story within the pages of those fresh,crisp,colourful paperbacks! :D

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Yes, indeed - that is a good point Pete! :D

I hope my post did not seem too critical in Betty Maxey's case - I agree she is a very talented artist in many ways. Covers like the Five Get Into Trouble one in particular, of all Maxey's works, make me cringe! The characters, the clothes, all interpreted completely different to the era in which the books were based. If only she had maintained the standard portrayed in books such as 1 and 7 (Five on a Treasure Island/Five Go off to Camp) They show such emotion, effort and skill.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I do agree Maxey has some talent - it's just that (for me) she's completely unsuited to the Famous Five. As was revealed recently in another thread, her style was much better for 1970s dance party LP covers! 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
yarvelling
Favourite book/series: Adventure, FF, and Barney/R series
Favourite character: Loony and Kiki

Post by yarvelling »

That's a good way of putting it!! :D Betty was a good artist, and had a great talent, sadly it was used in the wrong contexts with the FF books.... :) As I've pointed out before, i like some ways that she did things - the selective detailing, etc, but I just feel that she was wrong for this series, and yes.... some of those covers that she produced are just horrible!! :D Her only 'good' one is 'Five Go Off To Camp'....but even then, it's still very two-dimensional - there's no 'depth' to it'.....
When publishing these paperbacks, the publishers really should have just stayed with the original Eileen Soper drawings.... :)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

yarvelling wrote:Her only 'good' one is 'Five Go Off To Camp'....but even then, it's still very two-dimensional - there's no 'depth' to it'.....
Yes, the way George is clinging protectively to Timmy shows the bond between them very well - but I agree, it's very flat, and doesn't capture anything of the mysteriousness of the spook train. Except for the brick wall behind the train (which shows up better in the later reprints of the same cover design), it could almost be a view across some American prairie at sunset (hence the reddish light), with George and Timmy perhaps running away from home and planning to sneak aboard a train to the Wild West... howdy, pardner!! 8)

Interesting to compare the two dust jacket designs that Soper did for this one. The first looks much more conventionally like going "off to camp", while the second does feature the spook train with a slight air of menace:

It would be interesting to know what was behind the choices of cover design for each edition of these books, really. Did the artist (whether Maxey or Soper) submit several possibilities and the publishers picked the one they thought most suitable? Did the publishers themselves give the illustrator any suggestions to work from? Sorry this is off the topic of FGAA now, but it does get one wondering! :D
Society Member

yarvelling
Favourite book/series: Adventure, FF, and Barney/R series
Favourite character: Loony and Kiki

Post by yarvelling »

My version of the paperback "goes Of to Camp" was a much closer view of george and Timmy and looks even less 2D than the one you just showed!! That's pretty rubbish!! :D
The second of the Eileen Soper covers featuring the spook-train is by far the better of them..... that really should have been the cover of the paperback!! :)
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

If it's any comfort, these newer ones are even worse:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Society Member

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I absolutely LOVE this version of the Betty Maxey Five Go Off to Camp cover:

In my opinion it's one of the best ever portrayals of George and Timmy.

The train looks great on Eileen Soper's second cover, but would the boys really go hunting for spook trains on a camping trip dressed in shirts, ties and jackets two sizes too big for them?!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member