Five on a Secret Trail: a Missed Opportunity?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
StephenC

Re: Five on a Secret Trail: a Missed Opportunity?

Post by StephenC »

Not sure why some people are giving Henry such a bad rap. I have always regarded Henry, along with Berta, Toby, RIchard Kent and Sooty Lenoir, as one of the great one-off characters of the FF series. Henry is a vital part of why Mystery Moor is my favourite FF book, and in my opinion, the best of the series. The fact that George didn't like her, makes her all the more human and likeable to me. George didn't like Berta and Jo either, and I rate Jo as one of EB's greatest ever support characters, equal with Susie of the SS series, and Ern Goon. The support characters enhance many of the books, at least until the likes of Junior, Wilfred and Tinker made their appearance. As an example, without Jo, Plenty Of Fun would be a rather mediocre FF book, in my opinion.
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Yes, it does help to think of dear old Luke still alive-o at 92--.so do the other supporting characters-- Hilary.of Norton.House where the Invisible thief got in-- liked Fatty too-- she may have been Bet's rival
And again I dont think Barnard is right when he says not to care fir supporting characters-- I love them all-- Some of them need to be sent to a correction hpme-- Twit, Mrs.moon, Mrs Hicks( she was paid to put the messages) -- but wonder if they would get corrected.-- Lets hope they were
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

I do care about the supporting characters but only in the story in which they appear.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

A thread for supporting characters and those who would like to speculate on their unwritten future may be a forum hit?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Good idea. I've started it, we'll see if it takes off.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/for ... 65#p399165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DSR
Nair Snehalatha

Perhaps I am too much given to sentiments and nostslgia.-- I even think of Jock in five go off to camp-- perhaps waking alone thinking of the Five when they had camped.there-- I love them all--
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Wolfgang wrote:
Hannah wrote:
I agree with dsr though that things change ;-). Until I was around 25 oder maybe even 30 I didn't mind sleeping on camping mat.
I suppose it couldn't be that long ago, could it ;-)?
It feels like eternity but you're right - it hasn't been too long ago ;-). I'm a child of the 1980s.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

My problem with Five On A Secret Trail is that I still don't really understand the damn plot!!! :oops:

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

!!! Spoiler alert !!!

Someone stole blueprints and hid them in the underground passages, and the partners try to retrieve them and feel disturbed by the twins, the infamous Three and later the Famous Five.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thank you Wolfgang.
The underground water, secret passages and the slabs also confuse me!

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Wolfgang would be good at the "describe a book in five words" game. :lol: :lol: :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Nair Snehalatha wrote:All Enid Blyton's books make wonderful.reading, each in its own way.We become one with the characters, and.have a great time-- the beauty of the story makes up for the little flaws.if there are any

-- --
Couldn't agree more! Reading these books as a child, I never questioned anything that we might query in later life!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Nair Snehalatha wrote:It wont do to rewrite Mystery.Moor and leave Henry out-- point one would be that the magic spell of the story.woven.by Enid Blyton would never be there-- and point two is to weigh Henry's good points-- which certainly cancels her immaturity.Shes a good sport-- and rescues George and Anne , with the help of William when they are in real trouble
So I dont agree with Moonraker-- forgive me if you think.I am indulgent
Good points, Nair. You don't need to apologise for disagreeing. You indulge yourself as much as you like. As others will testify, my tolerance levels are legendary, so I would never be offended!
Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Thank you Moonraker-- you make me laugh -- In cidentally, it was in Rub a rub mystery that Misd pepper finds out Barney's father for him-- Barney was cruelly cheated by mr marvel who was the villain. But I wonder why Enid blyton did not commend Miss Pepper for giving Barney's father to him-- and thereby giving him the loving family.he had always longed for-- next to Diana,Roger, Snubby-- he loved their home

I think Blyton forgot to write the circumstances in which Miss pepper found mr martin-- Barney's father.I would have loved to know-- about Miss Pepper's noble.deed.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Maggie Knows wrote: Finally the boys turn up, and the adventure really gets going. However, where I think the author gets it wrong is when it turns into yet another stolen scientific secrets caper. There's a lot that is unsatisfactory about this: how on earth does the main villain (Paul) even know about these tunnels and underground hiding places, when even the archaeologists digging the site didn't find them ? And how come Quentin doesn't even know the blueprints are missing if he has the only other copy in existence ?
Yes, these are the things that subconsciously puzzled me even as a child!

Society Member