Five on a Secret Trail: a Missed Opportunity?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Maggie Knows

Five on a Secret Trail: a Missed Opportunity?

Post by Maggie Knows »

(I can spell "opportunity", but it wont let me get all the letters I need into the Thread title.... :wink: )

Thread title now shortened.

I've just re-read this book for the first time in several years: I'd forgotten some of the scenes and others I could only remember hazily.

I often decry this book at one of the worst in the series and, while I am not fundamentally changing my opinion, I was pleasantly surprised that it was much more enjoyable than I was expecting.

Probably the first thing to say is that there is quite a lot that is novel about this book, and given that book 14 is criticised for being a rehash of Book 9 (with a bit of Book 8 thrown in) this has to be a good thing. So, we have George and Anne setting off by themselves, and we don't even see the boys again until about page 60 of my edition. So that's something different for a start.

The weird happenings on the moor at night outside the spooky cottage are interesting and well-described, and I found the scene where the villainess turns up in disguise to be a bit disquieting: maybe because the illustration makes the female character look a bit like the Woman in Black (original TV version, not the recent movie)...

Finally the boys turn up, and the adventure really gets going. However, where I think the author gets it wrong is when it turns into yet another stolen scientific secrets caper. There's a lot that is unsatisfactory about this: how on earth does the main villain (Paul) even know about these tunnels and underground hiding places, when even the archaeologists digging the site didn't find them ? And how come Quentin doesn't even know the blueprints are missing if he has the only other copy in existence ?

How much better it would have been, though, if the author had have developed the story around theme of lost Roman antiquities.

For example: Professor Lawdler is on the track of valuable artefacts, following some obscure clues found in ancient manuscripts. But he takes ill, and while he's away his sons carry on with the hunt, but then they have a fall out etc as per the actual EB story.

Meanwhile, some greedy Treasure Hunters turn up to follow the clues, eager to cash in while Professor L is on his sick bed. Instead of the treasures ending up in the British Museum and saved for the nation, these guys just want to sell them to some private collector in a far off country....

So, the Five join in with the twins and try and solve the clues that lead to the identification of the hiding place (no tunnels please, just an interesting hidey place). What we would have then is something akin to the 2nd story, where they are trying to make head and tail of obscure clues, but this time no Mr Roland to do the translation.

OK, all of this is still borrowing some elements from other plots, but at least the Five would have to use their brains, and it would get us away from another stolen secrets rehash....
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Five on a Secret Trail: missed opportunty for a great story?

Post by Deej »

Probably the worst book with the exception of FATA. I will give it a read again though.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I always liked this book, and even the amount of times I've read it as an adult I still like it.

Maybe Enid didn't want to go down the route of Roman remains and artefacts etc, as you have to be so exact and precise in what you write about, and she probably didn't want any come backs of - that didn't exist, of that would be the wrong year - type of things, and so stuck with a plot she felt comfortable with. That's one of the rules of writing, so I've read. Make sure you are comfortable with what you are writing about and only write about what you know!

Not quite sure what you mean, when you say, Quentin doesn't know the papers are missing? Why should he know?

A good story for me really.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:
Not quite sure what you mean, when you say, Quentin doesn't know the papers are missing? Why should he know?

8)
There are only two sets of the blueprints in existence, so if one gets stolen that means there's only one set left. I would therefore have expected the author of the blueprints would have got in touch to ask that a copy be made or something so he can carry on working with them, or at least to warn Quentin make sure he doesn't lose them or destroy them by mistake (after all, his forgetfulness is legendary...)
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Five on a Secret Trail:missed opportunity for a great story?

Post by Lenoir »

I always liked it, but it has a different feel as it is just George and Anne to start off and it doesn't follow the standard formula of going hiking/camping etc., or going to a place for a holiday.
I enjoy the confusion caused by the identical twins, quite ridiculous but funny.
The face at the window in the middle of the storm makes for an exciting chapter.

But yes, the plot could have been improved, I can see that now.

Got opportunity in full by leaving out a space :)
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Everything about this book annoys me. Another George strop, our heroes, usually so quick at solving puzzles, stumped by the twins, the gaping plot holes.
Gggrrrrrr..............
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Maggie Knows wrote:
There are only two sets of the blueprints in existence, so if one gets stolen that means there's only one set left. I would therefore have expected the author of the blueprints would have got in touch to ask that a copy be made or something so he can carry on working with them, or at least to warn Quentin make sure he doesn't lose them or destroy them by mistake (after all, his forgetfulness is legendary...)
I think as a child reader that just wouldn't have entered my head, and reading it as a child, it didn't. I didn't question the plot at all! :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It didn't enter my head either!
Society Member
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I always liked this book, and even the amount of times I've read it as an adult I still like it.

Maybe Enid didn't want to go down the route of Roman remains and artefacts etc, as you have to be so exact and precise in what you write about, and she probably didn't want any come backs of - that didn't exist, of that would be the wrong year - type of things, and so stuck with a plot she felt comfortable with. That's one of the rules of writing, so I've read. Make sure you are comfortable with what you are writing about and only write about what you know!

A good story for me really.

8)
Yeah! :D
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Moonraker wrote:It didn't enter my head either!
Nor mine!
Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I've just re-read this this week, I really enjoyed it actually. It is very atmospheric and rather frightening when the girls are in the cottage and Timmy is barking and Anne sees figures, and then someone peeps in at the window - I'd have been terrified out of my wits!!

However it made me giggle when they find a gorse bush to hide in to secretly watch the cottage - I can see one person hiding in a gorse bush (ie Jack, Castle of Adventure) but this time all four children plus Timmy got in the middle of this gorse bush - it must have been the biggest gorse bush ever to grow on this planet!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
The Sea By Moonlight
Favourite book/series: Famous Five - Five go to Smugglers Top
Favourite character: The Five Together are inseparable

Post by The Sea By Moonlight »

I feel a few things let this story down rendering it one of the poorer books in the context of the series.

Firstly, it all seemed a little bit retrograde. Despite being older, though no one is quite sure how much older, George is weaker than ever - waiting for the big strong boys to turn up - imagine that in five run away together! Elements of earlier stories are rehashed in this book too, without capturing previous excitement either - tunnels very reminiscent of Caravan, missing papers (take your pick), twins (again, take your pick).

Secondly, irrespective of the originality of the story, it all seems rather naive an lazy. As previously explained, Enid seemed to take her pick as too who was able to find the tunnels without rhyme or reason. These great detective children didn't twig that the strange boy was in fact two twins.

Reading this, I got the distinct impression it was "written to order" rather than being a labour of love.

As an aside, I find the series divisible into three sections: A(1-6), B(7-13) C(14-21)

Section A feels all shiny and new and the characters are constantly developing. Section B gives the impression that the five now know who they are and are setteld characters who spread their wings geographically embarking on new adventures. With Section C, the book are of a poorer standard being rehashes of previous stories featuring uninteresting characters and uninspiring locations (obviously their are odd exceptions). Secret trail typifies section C for me.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I'll tell you what I did enjoy when I read the book for the very first time;the fact that the Five could walk or cycle to camp from their own front door!
Did anyone else envy them that?
Or could you have possibly walked to a nice camping area like George and Anne yourself?

I could have camped (illegally) about five miles from my house in the pine woods in the first picture,that didn't allow camping,or maybe here in the spooky woods which was a cycle ride of a mile or two from my front door...

No camping allowed (legally)

But Kirrin seemed so much better and exciting from the opportunities available to me and my chums back then!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

The Sea By Moonlight wrote:

As an aside, I find the series divisible into three sections: A(1-6), B(7-13) C(14-21)

Section A feels all shiny and new and the characters are constantly developing. Section B gives the impression that the five now know who they are and are setteld characters who spread their wings geographically embarking on new adventures. With Section C, the book are of a poorer standard being rehashes of previous stories featuring uninteresting characters and uninspiring locations (obviously their are odd exceptions). Secret trail typifies section C for me.
Great summary: I agree entirely.

Book 17 (Fix) is for me easily the best among Section C - it would not have been out of place if it had appeared as Book 11, say.
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

I loved Secret Trail when I was younger and reading it now, although I see where you are coming from, I still enjoyed it. Yes I agree that the missing papers was a bit of a let down but I never saw it like that when I was a child.
SwatIsaid!

Society Member