Five Go Off in a Caravan

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Five Go Off in a Caravan

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Good points, Owl's Dene. As a child I bought into the romantic notion of trundling along country lanes day after day in caravans and it didn't occur to me that the ponies wouldn't be at all used to such work - or that they would need more to eat than just grass!

And yes, Nobby worked well with the animals and it seems likely that the circus people would have wanted him to stay with them.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Five Go Off in a Caravan

Post by pete9012S »

Nick wrote:I'm just re-reading Five Go Off in a Caravan and I'm struggling to find a single chapter that I enjoy more that The Way to Merran lake.

The opening paragraph conjures up visions of a blissful few days, rambling down country lanes in the house on wheels. Anne is doing what she does and enjoys best, basically ensuring that the 5 are looked after. Julian's leadership is on show without being overbearing as he sometimes can be. There is a little humour and we get clues as to who the baddies are without it all being obvious for the first time reader.

I love how Enid draws out the arrival at the hills. Just when we think the 5 are there we are told that they are still too far away and we get another wonderful stop on a farm, with a jolly farm girl and some decent food. When we do arrive, we are treated to a wonderful description of the location and the 5 do what everyone wants to do when they see a lake on a hot day and go for a dip.

Is there a finer chapter in any of her tales?
I totally agree Nick.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and it may be only me that feels this way, but I often wanted The Adventure book intros with Bill Smugs to go on longer.

- maybe it's just me?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member