Five Go Off in a Caravan

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Maggie Knows

Re: Five Go Off in a Caravan

Post by Maggie Knows »

I wonder why she didn't have him just lock the door and hide inside the caravan ?

It would be even more scary when the caravan began to move if you were locked inside it...
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

I finished the story last night, and I still really enjoy it.

There's a number of firsts: it's the first story where the Five are allowed to go off on their own, and the first story that has nothing to do with Kirrin.

It's also arguably the first story where George plays a less than central role.

In a way it's Julian's adventure; he defeats Lou and Dan, he hides on the caravan and discovers their secret, and he takes the lead in trying to find a way out of the cave.

Timmy also is slightly relegated in this story because of Pongo's role.

Next: it's back to Kirrin Island (Again)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It is also one of the cruelest (is that a word?), which spoils it somewhat.
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I wouldn't say cruel, but it certainly is a bit change from the usual peaceful location of Kirrin. In this novel we see a bit more dislike and violence between the characters which perhaps comes as a bit of a shock, but I think it introduces the rest of the series nicely. We see a new temporary character and perhaps two of the cruelest villains the five have encountered yet. The book proves entertaining yet hooking and a jolly good storyline. However much I was fond of the beautiful scenes of Kirrin Bay, it was nice to discover a new setting and new characters. :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The villains are terribly cruel to Nobby, Barker, Pongo and the Five but I don't think that spoils the story at all - it makes it all the more tense and gripping. For me, Five Go Off in a Caravan is one of the best Famous Five books. As well as the excitement and danger of the later chapters, I enjoy the peaceful start with the Five journeying slowly through the countryside in horse-drawn caravans, stopping to cook their own meals. Merran Lake sounds heavenly, Nobby and Pongo are fun and the circus adds colour and interest.

I'd love to see a photo of your grandparents' caravan if you're able to post one, Nick.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I agree with Anita. Although there are certainly a number of cruel incidents throughout the book they only serve to heighten the tension and lend urgency to the plot. They also make the characters seem more real by showing them suffering the same sorts of things that really do, unfortunately, happen in real life.

And the nastiness is very well offset by the kindnesses that the Five show to Pongo, Barker, Nobby etc. And of course this being Blyton it all turns out well and the villains get their comeuppance.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Merran Lake is fictional, but the setting does remind me of Llangorse Lake near the Brecon Beacons ...
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I think you have both summed up the purpose of the book well. I really like many aspects of the book including the chimps and the jolly, innocent Nobby whom I always felt sorry for because of his mistreatment, reminding me rather of Sniffer from Five Go to Mystery Moor. I think Julian's (I'll say) domineering attitude becomes more clear in this book having Julian take more of a lead. I suppose it is the first book he has had chance too with him supervising the others on their caravaning holiday. He proves himself very worthy of being trusted and a caring holiday companion.
Maggie Knows wrote:Merran Lake is fictional, but the setting does remind me of Llangorse Lake near the Brecon Beacons ...
On my trip to Wales only a few weks ago, we took a wrong turn and headed straight for the Brecon Beacons. Of course we did not reach it, but from what I saw it was a beautiful place, somewhere I'd very much like to visit. It reminds me of (what is Lucy-Ann) who said the mountains make her feel very small. Brilliant mystical atmosphere - what beautiful hills!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

Carlotta King wrote:I'm confused now I think (doesn't take much!! ;)) - I quoted from The Secret Seven (actual book title) where they dress as snowmen go to the old house to watch who comes to feed the (horse) prisoner but re-reading it back it looks like I was just referring to the whole series by calling it The Secret Seven - I probably should have been more specific! :lol:
Nah it was me getting confused :lol:
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

:D :D :D
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Any ideas on how I can upload the picture?
Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

It needs to be uploaded to a photo hosting site like Photobucket, I've just PM'd you a guide on how to do it all :D
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

tinypic.com is also another good way of uploading a picture. You can resize on the upload page, so you don't have to resize on another program first.
Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae27 ... c9568a.jpg

Hopefully this will work and the you'll be able see a photo of the picture!

It was taken in the early 50's my father is on my Grandma's lap and my Grandpa seated next to them. Unfortunately you can't see either end of the van but I have been assured that it was pulled by a horse until the late 50's.
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

A splendid family group from the 1950s - this was the era when Enid wrote so many of her iconic books and your relations would fit into a 'Famous Five' perfectly.
Society Member